Reische Thermostat Results

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I looked into the 160...was told that is a little too cold for winter temps and the car/oil may not get warm enough...do you adujst your tune for summer/winter?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ha...my car? winter? yea i adjust the tune alright lol. The battery tender goes on and the car covered lol my normal operating temps are between 180 and 190 with an electric water pump and a fluidyne rad

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Duh...my bad...was talking to someone at work and tried doing the two things at once...sigh....my bad...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL..don't think my CO would appreciate that at work, let alone 8:32 in the morning!

KcMstang

forum member
Reaction score
Gotta love how the 05-06 thermastats are $55 while the 07+ are $28...damn I'm tired of being the red-headed step child!

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What about for us 05-06 guys?

They come with 180* stock.

...BY no means am I taking sides....these are just observations.

And you get even more of a benefit by using the 160*.

Learn how to read....I said this was highly recommended for all FI cars-that is short for Forced Induction....I would expect as experienced of a mechanic as you to know that...

How you can say keeping a car cooler is a waste of money, especially for $28 makes me wonder how good of a mechanic you are..or claim to be.

:wtf1:

Where did you read that I "claimed" to be a mechanic?

kenne bell comes with a 160 tstat. i love it

Whipple's too.

What they said. And no, it's not "too cold" for the winter.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think this is a great option for any forced induction application. As some will argue 160 is too cold. The others will say a 180 is the same as 05-06, and not a big difference from a 192 07+. So for me the 170 was a perfect balance of the two, and for my daily driven year round car it works plain and simple.

Granted a 160 is a little more geared toward the roots/twin screw blowers since they can have alot more heat soak issues due to the intercooler location/setup, i think for a centri or turbo the 170 t-stat is an excellent choice and it works.

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
What should I do????

I just bought a electric water pump and I am a 06...
If I let my car sit or drive it then let it sit in traffic I will creep to 230+ bad...

Is 160 too cold for a twin turbo setup that has two 1600+ degree "devils balls" under the hood?

I must have a 180 tstat since I am a 2006... So I think 170 won't do shit...

RRRoamer

Reaction score
Here is the what I don't understand about some of these posts: If the temp is already WAY above the opening point of your current thermostat, what will putting a lower temp thermostat do? They are both open...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is the what I don't understand about some of these posts: If the temp is already WAY above the opening point of your current thermostat, what will putting a lower temp thermostat do? They are both open...

Exact same theory i had thats why i was skeptical! But i said for 28$ might as well try it ,and hey it runs noticeably cooler. Don't know exactly how its working since at the 198 degrees city driving both thermosstats would be fully open. I think it may have to do more with the range as the usually have a 10-15 degree range where they start opening to when they are fully opened.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What should I do????

I just bought a electric water pump and I am a 06...
If I let my car sit or drive it then let it sit in traffic I will creep to 230+ bad...

Is 160 too cold for a twin turbo setup that has two 1600+ degree "devils balls" under the hood?

I must have a 180 tstat since I am a 2006... So I think 170 won't do shit...

Its no shrould that causes the sititng still creep up, and this thermo helped me. Maybve the best bet is a 160 for the 180 05-06 guys since thats a sim drop as me going from 192 to 170.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its no shrould that causes the sititng still creep up, and this thermo helped me. Maybve the best bet is a 160 for the 180 05-06 guys since thats a sim drop as me going from 192 to 170.

Yup. I retracted my earlier statement. I forgot to consider that the '07+ has the t-stat in a different location so you're probably seeing similar results as an '05 going from 180 to 160. My bad. :beer:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup. I retracted my earlier statement. I forgot to consider that the '07+ has the t-stat in a different location so you're probably seeing similar results as an '05 going from 180 to 160. My bad. :beer:

Gotcha! Have any insight about roamers comment? Im not sure exactly how its helping so much either?

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
Gotcha! Have any insight about roamers comment? Im not sure exactly how its helping so much either?

All I know is that a t stat starts opening at a certain degree and should be completely open at the 180 mark if that's your tstat... From what I gather the earlier it opens the more fluid it allows to travel through the system... I am guessing that the more fluid cirrculating throughout the system has to create better cooling...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back