Reische Thermostat Results

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From http://www.reischeperformance.com/

Whether you are using an aftermarket radiator or not these thermostats will provide the best possible coolant temps and heat dissipation from your setup along with reduced warm up times and better cold weather performance when compared to a t-stat with holes drilled in the diaphragm. I believe the 170° opening temp is the ideal balance for high performance engines, providing high flow to your radiator by mid-180 temps while still maintaining a decent level of all season performance. With proper fan settings your cruising temps in cool weather will be in the 170s and in hot weather the 180s, giving those running high levels of timing and/or boost added protection against engine damaging detonation as well as maximum power output.
Here you see the OEM thermostat from an ’03 Cobra (left) next to my 4.6L DOHC t-stat (right) and how they respond to the same temperature water. More...

He's comparing apples to grapefruit. You have to take into account WHERE the t-stat is located as well.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
ok,took me a hour to find this:

also pulled the intake for the third time now to switch the thermostat from the 160 i put in to a 180. id also like to clear some thing up about the thermostats on our cars, ive been doing ALOT of searching on the subject and ALOT of what i have seen is total crap and people just talking what they have no clue about. i bought a digital thermostat and put the stock , a 180 and a 160 in a pot on the stove to see when they opened up.

FOR the 07, not sure about any other year.

STOCK: comes stamped 192 on it, but it starts to open about 195 and does not fully open until 212 degrees.

180: starts to open at 180 and does not get fully open until 195

160: starts to open at 160 and does not get fully open until 175

most of what i read said the stock one was 180, unless the 05-06 is different then these people dont really know.

i currently have the 180 installed and it reduced my driving temps by 10 degrees, used to get 198 on the highway,now i see 188. this should help with the added heat ill be adding with the turbo.

and just a note for all those with a 07 who want to change the thermostat, you WILL have to pull the entire damn intake....THANX FORD!!

Cone Sweeper

Track Whore
Reaction score
So being curious, what are you guys using to measure the water ( coolant ) temps? Using an after market gauge or using an sct/predator to data log or an interceptor gauge?

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At the coolant crossover, I didnt touch the fan setting after the 170 t-stat install, so no. It clearely works and works well it runs a solid 5 city 10 hwy degrees cooler on a 12 degree hotter day.
I'm not disputing that, just asking for more info. Your original post wasn't clear whether you changed the fan on temp in this whole process.

Thanks for the empirical data. It's good to see data instead of pure opinion, like some of the threads here. I'd like to see more data; a sample set of 1 isn't really enough to prove a theory, but you're well on your way.

And I agree, Ford is going to have to bite my balls for putting the thermostat under the intake. You can get by with loosening just the front two bolts on each side, but it's still a huge, unnecessary pain in the ass.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So being curious, what are you guys using to measure the water ( coolant ) temps? Using an after market gauge or using an sct/predator to data log or an interceptor gauge?

He has an Autometer water temp gauge.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not disputing that, just asking for more info. Your original post wasn't clear whether you changed the fan on temp in this whole process.

Thanks for the empirical data. It's good to see data instead of pure opinion, like some of the threads here. I'd like to see more data; a sample set of 1 isn't really enough to prove a theory, but you're well on your way.

And I agree, Ford is going to have to bite my balls for putting the thermostat under the intake. You can get by with loosening just the front two bolts on each side, but it's still a huge, unnecessary pain in the ass.

No prob, i edited the 1st post to include that data.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
STOCK: comes stamped 192 on it, but it starts to open about 195 and does not fully open until 212 degrees.

Holy crap thats horrible! Tthen agan these alum blocks n/a tend to like 190-200 degrees for power/good combustion. I was still seeing 200ish at the end of my runs so the turbo adds the heat back when needed lol.

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
My stock t-stat (08) is a 192. I'm running a 180 from a local auto parts store. I believe the brand is Stant. I've had a 170 Reische sitting in my shop for months, but never installed it, only because so many people that I trust told me that 180 is the coldest t-stat they'd recommend for these motors, FI or NA, whatever that's worth.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My stock t-stat (08) is a 192. I'm running a 180 from a local auto parts store. I believe the brand is Stant. I've had a 170 Reische sitting in my shop for months, but never installed it, only because so many people that I trust told me that 180 is the coldest t-stat they'd recommend for these motors, FI or NA, whatever that's worth.

Most twin scews/roots blowers reccommend 160's actually.

Then again I do believe these all aluminum block/head 3v's like some heat in na form, as for the change from a 180 stock in the 06 to a 192 t-stat in the 07 +. But with forced induction it seems the 192 is too hot, the 180 should be fine and the 170 is helping my setup alot.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
omg.. so many post and in depth thinking about this junk.. how about you p@ssys throw in the 160 and if your worried it not being hot enough..

then drive it like a man!! :doggy:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
You are so cool and bring so much to this thread..NOT.

:crazy: I did add to the tread.. the point was:

1) theses cars have been out for 5+ years now and there is no definitive answer as to what is the perfect running temp.

2) as Lightstud stated most SC's come with 160's and have been running fine for years.

3) we know cars with 180's are fine.

4) we know temps can swing 50 deg between morning and night

5) we know people heat soak more then others and can add more higher temps..

hence the point of trying to figure out 8-10 deg change in a therm is a little silly. If you think this tread will answer everything then knock yourself out.. haha :beer:

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
Where can I buy a 160 tstat??? For a 2006 gt....
I'll test it out fuck it lol...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:crazy: I did add to the tread.. the point was:

1) theses cars have been out for 5+ years now and there is no definitive answer as to what is the perfect running temp.

2) as Lightstud stated most SC's come with 160's and have been running fine for years.

3) we know cars with 180's are fine.

4) we know temps can swing 50 deg between morning and night

5) we know people heat soak more then others and can add more higher temps..

hence the point of trying to figure out 8-10 deg change in a therm is a little silly. If you think this tread will answer everything then knock yourself out.. haha :beer:

Your post about driving it like a man added zero value to the thread..move along...:bye:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back