Sky Render's Build Thread

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
I've got the BMR bar that's even stiffer. If it happens again, I'm putting lock tite on. Or a second set of bolts.

Hmm, I better check mine. Have the same 38mm bar.

Teflon/lock-nuts would work as well.

I'm trying to be careful working my way up on the adjustment holes of this monster bar because the OEM clip in studs are not the most solid mounting points. Much higher and I would consider the BMR radiator support with swaybar mounts to be mandatory persoanlly.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I honestly think it was just stupidity on my part for not using a torque wrench.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble picturing whether you're having trouble with the bolts on the drop links from the chassis or the bolts at the axle bushing clamps.

Norm

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bushing saddle bolts. First the passenger side came loose, then the driver side. I checked the torque on the passenger side yesterday, and they were still fine.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, I get bored.

20712485410_79f898713e_h.jpg

20712562088_911d75b523_h.jpg

20277938344_d6a6e8fa92_h.jpg

20712527088_632eda4599_h.jpg

20712537718_91edf4475f_h.jpg

20900554225_b62aabf3c4_h.jpg

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Is that a neighborhood in the last picture? Those are truly cookie cutter houses if so

claudermilk

Reaction score
Nice shots.

Yes, always use a torque wrench. Step #1 on most of my projects is to go to this site and grab the relevant section for disassembly/assembly instructions--and most importantly, torque specs: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499. I also am trying to get in the habit of using blue Loctite on everything.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Nice work.

Next time you're similarly motivated while in San Diego, check your map and see if the County Roads up and down Palomar Mountain meet your needs. There are more than enough twisty roads in north and east county to keep you satisfied for weeks, with potential for one hundred to one hundred-fifty-mile loops that won't require an I-state period of return. I go out to those on weekday mornings and sometimes the only other vehicles I see are the occasional bicycle and UPS truck. Even while observing the speed limits, surely a fulfilling way to pass time.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yeah, San Diego has some nice roads tucked away. I love 78; driving an 07 Hertz Shelby set my mind to buy an S197. You did stop in Julian for some Apple pie, right? ;)

OC only really has Ortega Hwy (where I spent the second day of Shelby use), and everybody is on there so it sucks except weekdays between rush hours. LA has a few good ones, too...

It's funny this article hits now. Just this weekend I joined a local meetup group to run Angeles Crest Highway. Think the 78, but amped up. Bonus: they JUST repaved the upper section, so an awesome mountain road, amazingly uncrowded late Saturday morning, and perfect pavement. It's the road we all dream of driving. The guy I was with made a wrong turn and, oops, we have to drive that section of road again. Darn. It was all worth the 2hr slog on the 5 through downtown LA back home.

Edit: almost forgot. When you want paper maps, go to a AAA office (I assume most of us are members). You can get them there easily & get ones focused on the area you are in.

Last edited:

frink84

Reaction score
Apparently, they're letting ANYBODY write editorials now.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3980/Turn-Off-the-GPS.aspx

Yeah, San Diego has some nice roads tucked away. I love 78; driving an 07 Hertz Shelby set my mind to buy an S197. You did stop in Julian for some Apple pie, right? ;)

OC only really has Ortega Hwy (where I spent the second day of Shelby use), and everybody is on there so it sucks except weekdays between rush hours. LA has a few good ones, too...

It's funny this article hits now. Just this weekend I joined a local meetup group to run Angeles Crest Highway. Think the 78, but amped up. Bonus: they JUST repaved the upper section, so an awesome mountain road, amazingly uncrowded late Saturday morning, and perfect pavement. It's the road we all dream of driving. The guy I was with made a wrong turn and, oops, we have to drive that section of road again. Darn. It was all worth the 2hr slog on the 5 through downtown LA back home.

Edit: almost forgot. When you want paper maps, go to a AAA office (I assume most of us are members). You can get them there easily & get ones focused on the area you are in.

i commented on the article with similar notes! the 243 is insane if you've never done it before.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, no one can accuse me of owning a "garage queen."

888e171b43d82771969e4ca14cceb53d.jpg

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are only used for autocross, but they are anti-submarine, so I am not sure what your comment is in reference to.

BTW, already installed. I'll have a detailed writeup and review... sometime. No autocross for several months.

03620bd38105a7145fc59a5f4285a550.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back