Sneak Peak - BMR's New S197 Rear Sway Bar

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

We are looking at releasing the front and rear bar on 08/19.

The Watts link, we are aiming for 11/11

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Kelly
I have been waiting for months now to order my sway bars after seeing you hinting at one point that new ones would be coming out.
Will this be offered as a package with the front bar same as the current one is?
I have your springs, lower arms, relo brackets plan is these bars and strange shocks, think this will work well for a mostly street car occasional drag car?
Nick

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

We are looking at releasing the front and rear bar on 08/19.

The Watts link, we are aiming for 11/11

08/19 is history for 2014. My order finger is itchy. Where's that Whiteline URL?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We are a little off of our schedule, BUT, not too far. Our newly integrated design process has proven to be much more efficient, than years past. Most think, build a part and sell it. We have a 40+ step process to releasing a product. With some new hands here to help out, it is going much more smoothly.

Anyways, we test fitted the first unit from production earlier today. As soon as we put a few miles on it, then we will be good to go. This was a tricky design. We had to ensure compatibility with most items, AND ensure the user has some legit reasons to go with such a piece. Mission accomplished, IMO. Check it out.

As for a date it can be ordered, I'd day a week or two. The front bar is already boxed, and on the shelf.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the ladder bar looking deal for the sway bar hangers? Is that just a design thing to make them look really impressive? Not trying to sound critical, but it looks a bit excessive for the amount of load at that attachment point.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the ladder bar looking deal for the sway bar hangers? Is that just a design thing to make them look really impressive? Not trying to sound critical, but it looks a bit excessive for the amount of load at that attachment point.

Well, it's nothing as robust as our current 05-10 End Links that come with our SB023 rear bar....

When designing a new part for production, we have to decide on what route to take. For this new bar, it is going to be substantially more "pricey" than our current bar....and we needed a way to bring the cost down. In order to bring the cost down, and retain very strong end-links.....this was the model we came up with.

Our part designer (initials BMR) - has always been a fan of these type of designs. I call it the "fabbed" look...

Long story short, many moons ago, we were one of the first company's to offer the bigger rear bar and end links for these cars. We used 1/4" plate steel, and we had a bunch of failures. When that happens, our instinct is to overbuild the next "go around"..

These bars have some pretty decent rate to them, as well. So there will be some serious load placed on those links under heavy abuse.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Cool to see some of the aftermarket guys coming up with new stuff instead of ripping each other off

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Looks amazing I can't wait to order a set of front and rear. Are the front going to be changed at all should I wait?

warmmilk

Reaction score
so excuse the n00b, but earlier in the thread I saw something about "swaybar for drag racers"
how exactly is a big rear swaybar helpful in a drag car? especially a live axle drag car?

not trolling or anything... genuinely looking to get schooled on the subject...

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
so excuse the n00b, but earlier in the thread I saw something about "swaybar for drag racers"
how exactly is a big rear swaybar helpful in a drag car? especially a live axle drag car?

not trolling or anything... genuinely looking to get schooled on the subject...
Having a super stiff sway bar prevents the car from torquing to the right (unloads left front plants right rear hard)
By having it stiff you get even weight transfer and the car will leave straighter
BMR and others already make an extreme anti roll bar for this purpose. This will be better for me as I can stiffen when going to the track lessen when not

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
A live axle car (with the ring gear to the left of the pinion) always tries to plant the left rear tire and unload the right rear - this is due to the directions of the forces at the ring gear (down) and its upward opposite force on the pinion.

Meanwhile at the other end of the car the left front is trying to rise and torque the car over. This, and the R&P forces balance each other out to some extent through the rear suspension, specifically through the rear suspension's share of the car's roll stiffness.

A rear antiroll bar takes this chassis roll and uses it to "re-plant" the right rear (this probably undoes some of the initial LR tire planting). The stiffer the rear bar, the more effective at equalizing tire traction it is, and the visible amount of roll as seen from straight behind is a fair indication (less roll seen is a good thing here).

Eliminating the front bar throws even more of the car's roll stiffness to the rear. Having a big percentage of the total roll stiffness at the rear is generally a good thing at the dragstrip, although generally not so good elsewhere.

There are at least two benefits. Equalizing the RR and LR tire loads maximizes total traction (a good thing in and of itself), and which also helps make for straighter launches (because the LR isn't pushing the car harder than the RR). The reduced roll reduces axle roll steer, which also has launch straightness implications.

An independently sprung car cannot benefit nearly as much from a rear antiroll bar . . . mostly because the ring and pinion forces are resolved directly back to the chassis without having to go through the rear suspension. Any help you get would involve rear cradle to chassis bushing compliances and relative movements between those items.

Norm

Last edited:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
The brackets pictured, are NOT final production pieces. They are simply test pieces.

We would never, ever ever make a part so blatantly incompatible with another part we make. I should have clarified a little more in the first post.

The only reason I would see, that they wouldn't be a direct fit for the FRPP LCA Brackets, is because FRPP's pieces don't extend up to the damper weight bolt hole. The Sway Bars will fit nicely with all of the LCA Brackets that utilize the damper bolt hole like ours/BMR, WL, UMI, etc.

The people who have CHE, Steeda, FRPP, etc - will need to add some washers to get the mating surfaces right.

Kelly, is the statement in bold still applicable to the final product that is about to hit the market? I have the CHE relos, and I am very seriously thinking about jumping on a set of the BMR sways. Just want to know if I am going to run into any part compatibility issues.

What about the $89 relo brackets that you mentioned ealier in the thread?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Kelly, is the statement in bold still applicable to the final product that is about to hit the market? I have the CHE relos, and I am very seriously thinking about jumping on a set of the BMR sways. Just want to know if I am going to run into any part compatibility issues.

What about the $89 relo brackets that you mentioned ealier in the thread?

The $89 LCA you are speaking about, yes - they have been available for about 2-3 months now.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index....icleid=1&maincatid=21&catid=70&productid=1280

And yes, if you have a set of LCA Brackets that do not extend the inside mount up to the damper weight hole, you WILL need to shim our Sway Bar mounts to your liking. We DO provide a spacer with the kit, and you may not even need to do much "thinking" what so ever.

If someone would be kind enough to send me an old LCA bracket, from another company....I could work out the details and post up. :beer:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Cool to see some of the aftermarket guys coming up with new stuff instead of ripping each other off

:)

Most BMR parts, are BMR designed - without influence from the outside. I am sure you already know that, though.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
The $89 LCA you are speaking about, yes - they have been available for about 2-3 months now.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index....icleid=1&maincatid=21&catid=70&productid=1280

And yes, if you have a set of LCA Brackets that do not extend the inside mount up to the damper weight hole, you WILL need to shim our Sway Bar mounts to your liking. We DO provide a spacer with the kit, and you may not even need to do much "thinking" what so ever.

If someone would be kind enough to send me an old LCA bracket, from another company....I could work out the details and post up. :beer:

Ah. my bad Kelly. I was thinking relo brackets, not LCAs. That why I didn't see them on your website. My reading comprehension skills must be fading with age :-/

Thanks for the info about the relo brackets.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
^ That said, we did drop the price on August 1st down to $119.95.

That is a pretty good deal, if you ask me.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a shot of our 38mm 5-Way adjustable front sway bar.

This thing is huge. I am anxious to see results with this piece. I've got a few AIX cars that are going to be giving me some feedback with it soon.

warmmilk

Reaction score
Having a super stiff sway bar prevents the car from torquing to the right (unloads left front plants right rear hard)
By having it stiff you get even weight transfer and the car will leave straighter
BMR and others already make an extreme anti roll bar for this purpose. This will be better for me as I can stiffen when going to the track lessen when not

A live axle car (with the ring gear to the left of the pinion) always tries to plant the left rear tire and unload the right rear - this is due to the directions of the forces at the ring gear (down) and its upward opposite force on the pinion.

Meanwhile at the other end of the car the left front is trying to rise and torque the car over. This, and the R&P forces balance each other out to some extent through the rear suspension, specifically through the rear suspension's share of the car's roll stiffness.

A rear antiroll bar takes this chassis roll and uses it to "re-plant" the right rear (this probably undoes some of the initial LR tire planting). The stiffer the rear bar, the more effective at equalizing tire traction it is, and the visible amount of roll as seen from straight behind is a fair indication (less roll seen is a good thing here).

Eliminating the front bar throws even more of the car's roll stiffness to the rear. Having a big percentage of the total roll stiffness at the rear is generally a good thing at the dragstrip, although generally not so good elsewhere.

There are at least two benefits. Equalizing the RR and LR tire loads maximizes total traction (a good thing in and of itself), and which also helps make for straighter launches (because the LR isn't pushing the car harder than the RR). The reduced roll reduces axle roll steer, which also has launch straightness implications.

An independently sprung car cannot benefit nearly as much from a rear antiroll bar . . . mostly because the ring and pinion forces are resolved directly back to the chassis without having to go through the rear suspension. Any help you get would involve rear cradle to chassis bushing compliances and relative movements between those items.

Norm

thanks for the schooling guys...

is this also the reason my rear swings to the left when I do a brake stand burnout at the track?

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Here is a shot of our 38mm 5-Way adjustable front sway bar.

This thing is huge. I am anxious to see results with this piece. I've got a few AIX cars that are going to be giving me some feedback with it soon.

/\ /\ /\ So much red...so much win.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back