Starter problems.... Searched

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
Past couple of weeks, I have been having intermittent starting issues. I will go to start the car and it will just make a loud grinding noise, but the next turn of the key will start it. This was intermittent until yesterday when it would just keep grinding. So i put a new starter in, teeth on the old one looked ok. teeth on flywheel looked ok. First attempt with new starter still grinded. But then started right up. Drove the car here and there today and was fine. Five minutes ago, grinded again but then started. Scared to drive car, I understand the basic concept of the solenoid/ starter. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
I also found a video on youtube of the same problem someone else was having. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM7Rnx3izVs

In the comments he says "it was something wrong with the flywheel not engaging" but no solution. THANKS!!!!!!!

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
So i got a little deeper into the diagnosis. took the starter out again and checked the teeth all around. all look ok. but I grabbed the flywheel and it has some serious play in it. Possible loosening of the bolts? Could it possibly be crank walk? any thoughts?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you by chance replace your flywheel when you installed the Centerforce? If so, maybe the flywheel bolts are backing out.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I remember reading a thread a long time ago. Like back in 08-09 about this guy that went drag racing. He had a factory flywheel with a aftermarket clutch setup. I don't remember all the details but what sticks out in my mind is that he said that the car wouldn't start, when it would try to start it would grind. I suggest you try to find that thread. This guy went on to say that he tore down everything and it was the factory bolts had back out a little and the flywheel had got too hot and some how did something with his clutch. Sorry for the bad details but its been a long time.

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
My teeth on my flywheel came undone and made that sound...

Ignore the commentary... The teeth are just pressed into place by factory. The reason I believe mine went was because i was at the track and blew my clutch so in order to get home i had to start the car in gear/pop start and rev match and hour home....

Last edited:

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
This forum truly amazes me every time. I am in the process of removing the trans now. It's either the bolts backed off or the ring gear seperated. I'll be more than happy to share my experience when i finish getting the trans out. GOOD THING I BOUGHT A DAILY DRIVER THE DAY THIS HAPPENED!!!!

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score

Hmmm that post does ring some bells ^_^ !

This forum truly amazes me every time. I am in the process of removing the trans now. It's either the bolts backed off or the ring gear seperated. I'll be more than happy to share my experience when i finish getting the trans out. GOOD THING I BOUGHT A DAILY DRIVER THE DAY THIS HAPPENED!!!!

Yea man have fun pulling that transmission. I have gotten all too used to pulling mine monthly.... I hope everything turns out for the best and good luck!

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
so in conclusion, the ring gear on the fly wheel has become separated. now in the market for new fly wheel. i might keep trans out a little longer and save up for mach 500 clutch while im at it. any recommendations for a flywheel? any body have experience with lightweight?

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
The only experience I have with aftermarket is with Mcleod products. It works but I can't justify the extra price yet.

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
Ram hd powergrip with a fidanza billet steel flywheel... Worked great! Then I upgraded to a ram dual disc clutch setup, couldn't be happier!

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
IM def going w the fidanze steel flywheel. thats decided. and most likely a mach 500. i like the little package of goodies they offer. slave/aligntool/pilot/

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back