Starters?

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
Any one know if there is a mini starter for the 05-09. I installed a 06 4.6 in my 95 with kooks long tube for the 96 model but the starter is to long. I need a shorter one. I tried a starter from a 96-04 it fits but the design on the tooth is too different. Any one have an idea I can try it I might have to by another flywheel for the 96 style.

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
My bad I was just wondering if any one has used a different starter on the s197 model. Or if there even is a mini starter.

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
On the 96-04 starter the teeth are smaller and closer together then the 05 style. Thanks autoxracer. I'm going to try that one out. Haven't seen anything else beside the pa one. But they don't state weather it is smaller or not.

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
Well just got off the phone with the msd it will not work either. They did tell me to try power master. Gotta see what they have.

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
Thanks that would help to. The one from power master is 300. If it is shorter I can probably save some coin.

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
Ten 4 thanks buddy. Glad to know in hoping the one I ordered is smaller when it comes in ill snap some shots of both. The stock and the power master. It's on back order for another ten days before it even ships.

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
Well the one I ordered won't work but I figure I can still post pics for any one else looking for a smaller one.

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
Well it's been a while but I'm not giving up yet on the power master I decided to try it again but with a different approach. The problem I'm having is that one of the tubular members on the kooks long tube runs down right behind the motor mount, but I noticed that I had a huge gap between my block and the tube and from the tube to strut tower. So I heated up the tube and pulled it towards my a-arm and it gave me more clearance. Now I can get the starter in but with the mounting points on the starter that rotates it doesn't have a way for me to angle it the way I need to.
So I'm stuck with either returning it, trying a different one or place the starter in place, mark it then drill and tap the holes my self. ( I'm no expert in this, so I'm. It sure yet because once I modify it i can't return it.) but I'll keep y'all up to date. The headers for the 05 and up body style don't separate so I don't think any one with a s197 should have any of the problems I'm running into. I'll post pics up when it's daylight, been working on it during night due to it being dark by the time I get home.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back