Stoptech or Brembo

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
There is a local Saleen (Stoptech ST-40) brake kit locally for sale that I am considering buying. It comes with everything except for the rotors. I have a few questions.

1.These dont seem to be nearly as common as the Brembo kit. How do they compare?
2. Can I use other 14" rotors for this kit?
3.One piece rotors are MUCH more cost effective than 2 piece. This is primarily a street car. I plan to do some track days and autocross though. Is 2 piece worth the price?

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
How much is the kit you are looking at? What is your budget?
If its primarily a street car, the most cost effective option is picking up a Brembo takeoff kit from a GT500 or a newer mustang with the brembo package. They can be had for around $700 +/-

Just my 2 cents

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
The new kit with new stop tech one peice rotors puts me at $900. Less is always better, but that seems like a good price for all nee 14" brakes.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
The new kit with new stop tech one peice rotors puts me at $900. Less is always better, but that seems like a good price for all nee 14" brakes.

I think the used brembo are WAY overpriced but that is just my opinion. If the brakes were equal in performance I would pay the extra couple hundred ALL day long to get new, no bullshit parts.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
There is a local Saleen (Stoptech ST-40) brake kit locally for sale that I am considering buying. It comes with everything except for the rotors. I have a few questions.

1.These dont seem to be nearly as common as the Brembo kit. How do they compare?
2. Can I use other 14" rotors for this kit?
3.One piece rotors are MUCH more cost effective than 2 piece. This is primarily a street car. I plan to do some track days and autocross though. Is 2 piece worth the price?

Personally, comparing the Stoptech ST-40's to the Brembo Mustang calipers is a no brainer, Stoptechs are going to be far more rigid with a huge pad selection. Not that the Brembo's aren't great options for the Mustang but if they are priced the same, Stoptechs all day long for the pad selection and rigidity.

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
Any good sources for rotors that will work with the ST-40 kit and wont break the bank?

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
Personally, comparing the Stoptech ST-40's to the Brembo Mustang calipers is a no brainer, Stoptechs are going to be far more rigid with a huge pad selection. Not that the Brembo's aren't great options for the Mustang but if they are priced the same, Stoptechs all day long for the pad selection and rigidity.

I need a good recommedation for these pads! I have been researching everywhere and still not sure what to go with. Any input is MUCH appreciated!!!

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack your thread...but did you consider the Wilwood brand?
If so, what did you not like about them?

American Muscle has them on sale until end of month for $1499

crownaviation

Reaction score
Not to sidetrack your thread...but did you consider the Wilwood brand?
If so, what did you not like about them?

American Muscle has them on sale until end of month for $1499

I called Strange about their Drag brakes and they told me NO WAY DO NOT USE THEM ON STREET..PERIOD!! Then they went as far as recommending the Wilwood brakes for a lighter setup that would work best for drag strip and street..

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
I called Strange about their Drag brakes and they told me NO WAY DO NOT USE THEM ON STREET..PERIOD!! Then they went as far as recommending the Wilwood brakes for a lighter setup that would work best for drag strip and street..

Glad to read this as this is something more along the lines of what I want.
Dual purpose...street/drag brakes.
Thanks for the input!

I just looked at the Wilwoods that are on sale. Those ARE NOT "track day" brakes.

They may not be...but I think they're stronger brakes than the 2 setups the OP mentioned...and he said his car is "primarily street car."

Last edited:

crownaviation

Reaction score
Glad to read this as this is something more along the lines of what I want.
Dual purpose...street/drag brakes.
Thanks for the input!

They may not be...but I think they're stronger brakes than the 2 setups the OP mentioned...and he said his car is "primarily street car."

I would call wilwood tho.. they may have more than one version for the s197. I did not get into detail or call willwood either. Just going off the conversation I had with Strange

I am certainly no expert in those nor have I used either personally

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

"Strong" is the wrong word when talking about brake performance. All of the available brakes, even the Strange drag brakes are "strong". As in they apply enough pressure to stop the car. Most cars are limited by the tires traction under braking, not the brakes themselves. Well, at least for one stop.

A brakes performance is almost all about heat and its ability to shed it effectively. Those drag brakes will stop real good once. Then they will be heat soaked. Stock brakes stop good a couple of times. The better "race brakes" stop good a whole bunch of times.

The "race brakes" have big ass rotors. Not only in diameter, but in thickness. That rotor mass works as a heat sink. It will store more heat and because it has a bigger surface area it will shed more heat. A brakes performance is based a lot on the rotor. That's why carbon/ceramic brakes are all the rage. They don't have more friction, they don't use bigger calipers, They are able to shed heat a LOT faster than iron does so they stay "working" a lot longer and in some cases pretty much forever.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Mostly street but some track. I need to replace my front pads anyways so I'd rather upgrade them all around while I'm at it. Just looking for something with more bite.

I've run the Stoptech Street Performance pads on my Stoptech brakes (it came with them) and in a friends GT500 brakes. They are really good on the street. Better even than the OEM Brembo's (which are pretty damn good for a street pad) I have on my 2012. I couldn't ask for anything more on the street. They are dead silent, you don't have to warm them up and they don't throw much dust.

And on the track they were AMAZING for a street pad. I turned them to a "wood" a little but they never stopped stopping. And I got them HOT. So hot that I melted my silicone brake ducts (not the cheap ones) where they clamped to my backing plates. Pads kept on hanging in there. Hell, I'm still running the same set on the street, LOL.

I ran them at the track in stock GT500 brakes too (with no ducts). They worked great. I wasn't going as bonkers on the brakes as I was in my car but I wasn't exactly being easy on it either. They worked great.

Are they are a race pad? Nope. Are they a aggressive street pad that does a good impersonation of a race pad? Yep, they sure are.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Just went to the Wilwood site to further look at this brake package.

The pads that it comes with are BP-10.
Their use guide states this kit is good for autocross events when used with iron rotors.
The BP-10 pad is good up to over 1000* temps.

I also keyed this kit in the AM site to see if the forum discount works since it's a sale item.
It worked...$90 more bucks off!
$1409 for this Wilwood kit.
Keep in mind...it does NOT come with upgraded brake lines.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/wilwood-superlight-front-0512.html

One of the things I really like about this kit is that it's 6 piston and can be run with wheels as small as 17". Most 6 piston kits I've seen require 19" wheels, at minimum. My WELD drag wheels are 17's.

ALSO...sale price is good through end of July.
August 1st...you're shit out of luck!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back