Stupid Koni Question

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance.

That little white knob that comes with the Koni Yellow shocks? The one that says "FIRM" with an arrow? Are there supposed to be two--one for each shock--or just one?

Also, the instructions are missing from my box. Does anyone know whereabouts I could download them?

corruptor

Reaction score
The knob- they usually are provided one per box. Thus, if you only ordered front struts, you will only get one knob.

Instructions provided by Koni are illegible cartoon drawings and I found them to be of no help. Follow other install threads and you'll be fine.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
One knob per pair. What do you need instructed? Installing them or adjusting them? The white knob fits on the little tip on the top of the shock. There's about 2.5 turns of adjustment.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The knob- they usually are provided one per box. Thus, if you only ordered front struts, you will only get one knob.

Instructions provided by Koni are illegible cartoon drawings and I found them to be of no help. Follow other install threads and you'll be fine.

Thanks! Only my fronts showed up so far, so I've got one adjustment tool.
My box was a little mangled; I was afraid I was missing something.

One knob per pair. What do you need instructed? Installing them or adjusting them? The white knob fits on the little tip on the top of the shock. There's about 2.5 turns of adjustment.

Well, if they install like the standard shocks, I suppose I don't need installation instructions. But adjustment instructions with pics would be nice. If anybody has a link to that, I'll love you forever (NO HOMO).

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk.

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
The instructions were useless, they are on a small single sheet of paper that looks like it has been photocopied too many times. They install just like normal shocks. I just used the tool to adjust all four to full soft so I knew they were all starting at the same point and adjusted them from there.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Sounds like this is a heckuva lot simpler than I thought it would be. I'll call Mr. Strano back if I go full retard and can't get them installed. :p

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
When it actually comes time to adjust them, you probably want to return the adjustment to full soft every time and set the turns from there. Otherwise, you're likely to accumulate errors that will differ side to side.

You can also make your own adjustment tool from flat stock that will be more durable and which makes it lots easier to visualize where your desired setting is.

Don't force the adjustment past when you first run up against the full soft setting.

Norm

Last edited:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Koni sold a flat metal adjustment tool, on their Web site. They also sold replacement plastic knobs. Both are silly expensive. I bought the metal one when the plastic one supplied with the shocks/struts was deformed by the heat when I used it between autocross runs at a practice day. If I had any kind of metalworking skills I'd make one that didn't melt and that didn't make impressions in my fingers during a simple adjustment.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Hey OP what did you receive in you your box? I just got some nuts washers and the knob, my box was also kind of beat up. I am hoping I didnt lose anything.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
If I had any kind of metalworking skills I'd make one that didn't melt and that didn't make impressions in my fingers during a simple adjustment.
Crude and effective is all you need.

Seems you need two sets of slots as the thicknesses of the front and rear S197 damper adjusters don't seem to be exactly the same.

Norm

Attachments

• Koni Adjustment Tool.JPG
    Koni Adjustment Tool.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 52

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey OP what did you receive in you your box? I just got some nuts washers and the knob, my box was also kind of beat up. I am hoping I didnt lose anything.

The exact same stuff was in my box.

FWIW, Koni emailed me a copy of the "instructions." JUNK. I can honestly say I feel dumber after looking at this thing than before.

Last edited:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Crude and effective is all you need.

Seems you need two sets of slots as the thicknesses of the front and rear S197 damper adjusters don't seem to be exactly the same.

Norm

As if by Magick, there it is!

Thank you. There's hope!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back