TaylorGT's AutoX Progress Thread

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Brakes, brakes, and more brakes.

So I'm tossing around the idea of just "building" the stock brakes as well as fabricating my own cooling duct system. I notice that Vorshlag/Blowfish both have brake rotor back plates available for Brembo brakes. Any chance these would fit the base GT 13.2" brakes. I realize that location of the cooling duct relative to the rotor may be a bit off but would it be enough to justify trying to fabricate my own for the stock rotors.

Other than that, plan on doig the standard. Hawk pads, Motul Racing fluid, and maybe some new rotors.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Expect Carbotech pads to get mentioned a few times . . .

Norm

I have Carbotech XP10's :)

10987750_10153394781875465_5276549929488068570_o.jpg

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
You guys know me by now; always the contrairon... IN MY EXPERIENCE (yours may differ, but I doubt it), the Carbo pads are MUCH friendlier to the rotors than their Hawk equivalents. That said, though, any time you have a friction interface, something has to give. Carbo pads wear faster than Hawks, at the expense of rotor life. In the end, you'll be replacing something. Hawk pads last longer, but you change rotors more often. Carbo pads wear quicker, but the rotors last a longer time. Track your usage, and make your own judgement call. In my particular case, and ONLY my particular case, I found it was cheaper to replace rotors a bit more frequently than pads. YMMV, of course.

In terms of pad "feel," I prefer the initial bite of the Carbotech XP12 over the Hawk DTC-60, but the DTCs seem to remain more consistent over a longer run (1-1.5hrs under enduro punishment) than the XP does. The XP just seems to get "soft" under moderate to heavy pedal input after 40-45 minutes of abuse, where the DTC stays very consistent.

To each their own. Both are fine products, both have pluses and minuses. Neither sucks, and neither is perfect. Pick your frog, and live with the warts.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
I absolutely love my Ferodo DS2500s for street/hillclimb/autocross. Not quite enough for extended track use.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I got offered some cash for my wheels (been trying to sell them for a while with no luck). I'd be taking quite a hit but I have a guy willing to sell me 4 18x10 SVE Drifts with Continetal Contact Extreme 285/40/18 tires. Would be a much betters AX setup.

I just don't know if I should do it or not. If it would really be worth it. I don't think I'm going to do the 18x11 Forgestars while this car is a daily driver.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
If you're running 20x9/20x10's right now a 18x10 w/ a 285 is going to feel like an improvement for sure. I'm running 9.5's with 285's all the way around and with the ST XTA's it riding super neutral and grippy.

If those are DW (hopefully not the DWS) then those are some pretty good tires. A tiny bit more sidewall flex than some others, but also weigh a lot less. They aren't going to handle like a 200TW tire, though.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
If you're running 20x9/20x10's right now a 18x10 w/ a 285 is going to feel like an improvement for sure. I'm running 9.5's with 285's all the way around and with the ST XTA's it riding super neutral and grippy.

If those are DW (hopefully not the DWS) then those are some pretty good tires. A tiny bit more sidewall flex than some others, but also weigh a lot less. They aren't going to handle like a 200TW tire, though.

Yeah they are the DWs, I'd run them for a while until I could get another set to daily and then throw some 200TW for autocross only.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Well I was able to trade my heavy staggered 20's for a set of SVE 19x9.5s. Was really wanting a set of 18s but this will do for now. The 19s will eventually get my street tires and I'll continue to save for my 18x11 Forgestars.

I lost no money on this trade. Now, tires? I'm really considering picking up a 255/40/19 for these wheels. I know I can run a 275/40 or a 285/35 but the 255/40/19 has the most options and is the most cost efficient.

Thoughts?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
255-275 would probably all be fine

Personally I'd go 275

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Went with 275 BFG Sport Comp 2s

I used to run those on my autocross Miata. They are ok for a DD summer tire but they will have very little grip for autox.

On my DD wheels I'm using 255/45-18 and I can attest to how well these tires talk to you on the autox. Yea they weren't as fast as the other guys with RS-3's, RE-11's, Rivals, etc. but I was amazed with how well they would communicate to you. Especially for a 340 DD tire you know.

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
I used to run those on my autocross Miata. They are ok for a DD summer tire but they will have very little grip for autox.

This. These are what I run on the street, and they work well there. However, even after one autocross the outer tread blocks looked kind of ragged. The S04's handled the abuse far better. Then the RE-11As I'm now running for autocross/track are yet another step up; they handle that abuse far, far better and have better grip to boot.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score

This. These are what I run on the street, and they work well there. However, even after one autocross the outer tread blocks looked kind of ragged. The S04's handled the abuse far better. Then the RE-11As I'm now running for autocross/track are yet another step up; they handle that abuse far, far better and have better grip to boot.

I intend for these tires to be mainly DD duty, in doing this i'm hopefully able to pick up a set of Forgestar 18x10 or 18x11s and put a true 200TW tire on. Something like an RS3, NTO1, etc. Moving from the 20s staggered setup to the 19" square affords me the opportunity to rotate this setup. If the funds never come for the Forgestars and I use it for other things (brakes, suspension, etc) then I will pick up a competition tire for these wheels in the future and it will still be a relatively competative setup.

Not to say these tires won't see the autocross course occasionally, I need my fix, but I won't be worried about being competative on these tires.

Last edited:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
On my DD wheels I'm using 255/45-18 and I can attest to how well these tires talk to you on the autox. Yea they weren't as fast as the other guys with RS-3's, RE-11's, Rivals, etc. but I was amazed with how well they would communicate to you. Especially for a 340 DD tire you know.

I agree 100%. I haven't autoXed with my Sport Comp 2's yet, but I have done a few track days with them, and I love how they talk to me. I am an intermediate driver, and at my skill level, I really like the feedback. It's very "confidence-inspiring." It helps me stay out of trouble, too.

I don't think they grip quite as well as my old set of Conti Extreme Contact DWs, though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back