The value of good tires!

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I've read good things about the new Nitto NT-05. Supposedly, they are a good tire that can be driven to the track and turn quick laps.

I ran them last summer..very happy with them. After 6 DE's and 4,000 street miles, they are still at 50-60% tread. I figured they'd be toast by now.

On a hot, dry lapping day in August I was running with a similarly prepped Shelby GT at one point; he drove in on NT-05's but swapped them out for BFG R1's..but I was still able to pull away from him in the technical parts of the track to my surprise (as well as his!). We both had our strengths and weaknesses but it was a pretty even match as far as the hardware went.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I've run them on other cars... Very good tire. That Mustang drift guy uses them...though he is sponsored by them.:thumb:

I remember the previous generation of the Azenis would overheat very easily and become greasy. When they came out with the RT-615 (current version), they fixed that. A lot of autocross guys run them.

What type of racing would you be doing with them?

Actually, most who run them for autox are in little cars. They are cheap, and not terrible, but I don't like them much. They have pretty abrupt breakaway (for instance the last back to back test I did with them on a M3 the Yokohama Advan's were just as quick and a lot more predictable).

RT-615's still grease up, judging by all the water sprayers I see around little cars like Honda's.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the star specs compare to the NT05

The guys here in NASA AZ did a shootout of their own, Star Specs vs. NT05s on either an S2000 or E36 (can't remember), but the Star specs were like 2-tenths faster per lap.

NT555s suck for track use. Ran mine for like 8 track days then switched to Hoosiers. I can't believe how slow I must have been driving on the 555s to think they were acceptable for track use.

Ran BFGR1s as well, seemed a little slippery.

Currently running NT01s for track.

:2cents:

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Currently running NT01s for track.

:2cents:

How do you find the NT01s for track use? I'm thinking about switching to them next season after running my first two seasons on KDW2s.

What size are you running? I'm thnking of 275/40/18 on my 18 x 9.5 rims.

Do you install them at the track or drive to and from the track on them?

Thanks.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
275/40/18s are what we run, got 3 S197s in our local competition group that use them in that size as well.

Grip is comparable to the R6 but the wear is much better w/ the NT01.

Right now I am packing the race wheels/tires in my car and driving to the track on street tires, then jacking the car up and putting the tires on. Can stack 3 wheels/tires in the rear seat w/ the seat folded down, plus one in the spare tire well. From there, it's a game of TETRIS to get my gear, jack, stands, chair, cooler, etc into the car.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
If you've got 4 extra tires in the car, I don't see why you'd need to carry the spare ;)

Other option: get a friend w/ a small SUV or truck to help haul your shit, repay them with lunch/rides/beers after the day is done.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back