Tinting my windows

G-russ415

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new here. I have an 09 V6 that I'm planning on tinting within the next week or two. I'm planning on doing the rear and two triangles 15% and the driver and passenger windows 50% however, I have a ton of friends telling me to do 30% on the front two windows. I know that those windows are technically illegal to tint in the good ol' state of Cali, but I don't care! Haha. 15-30 is what the buddies are saying, but I don't want to get pulled over and have to get it removed. If any of you have your cars tinted, take a pic, post it, and label the percentage! Also, please offer opinions. It would be awesome to see a side view of the tints just to get an idea of how transparent they actually are. Thanks!

-Greg:helpme:

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
First and foremost, do a search of tinting and you'll find the pos door trim will scratch your new tint all fuck to hell. So, change out to the good felt stuff before you tint. I did not know this and now have fubar tint.

Tint tickets can be pricey. I have 35 on doors, 20 (illegal)back window and 5 eyebrow. Would of liked 20% doors but the fine is $200 a window here!

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
In 08 they changed it which added more felt to the trim piece plus he has an 09 so should be fine. I added molding from a newer one in mine because the tint got scratched (obviously) with no issues since. I have 5% in my sig but I know that's way to dark and you will get stopped in cali for that.

4LiterSonic

Banned
Reaction score
First and foremost, do a search of tinting and you'll find the pos door trim will scratch your new tint all fuck to hell. So, change out to the good felt stuff before you tint. I did not know this and now have fubar tint.
This. I bought my car and it already had the tint on it.

It's scratched to hell and back. I gotta get it re-tinted.

G-russ415

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the comments. I read a ton of reviews about the scratching factor. I know most people get moleskin. What I didn't see justified was where the tint was being scratched. At the bottom where the window comes down? Because my 09 has felt there, but up at the top its still rubber which may scratch it from the auto window adjust feature when opening and closing the door. Do I need moleskin there? Is Cali 100% for the front two windows, or is there a legal limit? Does the fine go up with the darker the tinting is? Would anyone suggest tinting the front window at all at least in Cali?

-Greg:beerchug2::beerdrink:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I would love to tint my front window a little, 70% or so, but its $200 fine for each illegal window here, and they really hate it when the windshield is tinted. Call up a tinting place, they will know the laws.

Wicked Pissah

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

im in mass and we have 35% all around.. as i just found out, i always thought it was 35 on the front, and what ever you wanted on the back...guess not!. but i have 20 on the rear , and 35 on the 2 doors...
photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score

The door trim was changed in late 2007. There is no issue now. If you don't want scratched tint than buy the updated door trim. I've done it in my girl's 2006 S197 already. There is NO reason to do anything with the door trim with anything newer than 2008 MY.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
5% all around. it is illegal in NYC but i dont care. when i get a ticket, the meter actually reads it as 2%.

0517101942edit.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
In 08 they changed it which added more felt to the trim piece plus he has an 09 so should be fine. I added molding from a newer one in mine because the tint got scratched (obviously) with no issues since. I have 5% in my sig but I know that's way to dark and you will get stopped in cali for that.

I've had %5 on for over a year here in Cali, and have only received a warning once. :beerdrink:

G-russ415

Reaction score
So when I am done getting the tint installed a post a few pics of the job. I'm definitely thinking of doing 15-30

AMG

Reaction score
Any suggestions where to buy the door trim from? A quick ebay search came up with nothing.

Thanks guys

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Make sure you know someone at a inspection place, too. I'm running 15% on my front windows in Texas and take it to someone I know to get my car inspected (no catalytic converters either, but they don't do the sniffer where I live).

DRock

Reaction score
I have 5% on my rear three and 15% on y front two and i dont ever get hassled

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got mine done at a good and reputable local shop and asked about the moleskin. Guy said it wasn't worth it and that the moleskin traps dirt and may cause scratches anyway. Plus he said he'd done other Mustangs with no problem. I do have some scratching, but it's not awful (yet?).

Do you guys with the felt/moleskin have any scratching at all?

Make sure you know someone at a inspection place, too. I'm running 15% on my front windows in Texas and take it to someone I know to get my car inspected (no catalytic converters either, but they don't do the sniffer where I live).
It may vary state by state, but inspection stations here in PA can't fail you for tint on side windows - only if you've tinted your windshield.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It may vary state by state, but inspection stations here in PA can't fail you for tint on side windows - only if you've tinted your windshield.

Here they won't give you an inspection sticker if the meter reads below the legal limit on the side windows, which is :bs:.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Here they won't give you an inspection sticker if the meter reads below the legal limit on the side windows, which is :bs:.

our inspection is for emissions only, nowadays they plug into your OBD II port and look for codes, if ya got none, you pass. But the state patrol has tint checking tools, less than 35% and it's a $270 ticket.

(Hook em horns ! What happened yesterday ?)

Bullitt3478

forum member
Reaction score
20 % all the way around,I can get away with just about anything here in Ga even though its 32% by law.I have had 5% on other vehicles,Its dark but a PITA to see at night.20 is dark enough for me.As you can see in the pic you can see into the car in the daytime,but not so much at night.

Picture12007.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back