Tips, tools and tricks for filling rear differential?

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Sitting here fuming and stinking of gear oil! I installed the Steeda differential cover to make changing the diff fluid easier, but could use some advice on how to get the fluid into the differential. I had a phoenix brake bleeder (thanks Stacey David) but it is slow as hell to pump in a few cc's at a time. Tried making up a funnel but have gotten more gear oil outside than inside the housing! Help.

Justinjor

JUIC3D
Reaction score
You need a fluid transfer pump--available at most auto parts stores

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
Want a really good set-up for doing fluids buy a "MityVac". There are several types but they are nice.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
You can use a hand held pump from napa. They are like $10. Or you could try attaching a hose to the bottle and running it into the diff and just squeez the bottle. I had the best luck with the napa pump. Your arms get tired but hey your getting a workout too. LOL

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Wal Mart boating section- buy an inline fuel line primer bulb and a couple feet of fuel line. Cut the fuel line in half and attach one piece to either side of the primer bulb. Stick one end in the bottle and the other end in the fill hole. Squeeze bulb.

70monte

Reaction score
Google Search "Performance Tool W1139" This fluid pump fits both quart and gallon size containers. I bought mine at Autozone but have seen the same pump at O'reillys. Other places sell it as well. I bought mine after I installed the Ford aluminum finned diff pan on my 2014 GT but I have other vehicles that it will work for.

Wayne

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
a $5 suction pump gun has served me for over 20 years with stuff like this.....a little messier than a transfer pump but, does the job.

nuclearjunky

Reaction score
I run a 3/8 hose from the fill hole up through the left rear fender well over the tire. Then I can stand up and fill the diff using a quart bottle. I have a good gear oil pump but this way is much faster, cleaner and easier.

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
I run a 3/8 hose from the fill hole up through the left rear fender well over the tire. Then I can stand up and fill the diff using a quart bottle. I have a good gear oil pump but this way is much faster, cleaner and easier.

Best idea right there IMO!

tang-o

Reaction score
to loctite or not to loctite?

Reviving this thread with additional questions.
I have the Ford Racing finned diff cover in my 08 GT. I changed the gear oil using a pump. I cleaned the drain and fill plugs before tightening. However, I'm still unease about 3 things.
a. I have no idea how tight they are supposed to be (I could not find torque specs).
b. They most certainly went further in than how they were out of the box.
c. Out of the box they seem to come with red loctite, but the vast majority of answers I found in the internet say to avoid loctite and just clean and let dry the plugs.

what gives?

Here is a picture of the same cover and you can see the red loctite on the drain plug.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-finned-88-diff-cover.html

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
It's actually thread sealant and not locktite. The threads are NPT and you can use Teflon tape to help seal the threads when you reinstall the plugs.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Support the car on jack stands under the frame rails, that way the rear axle hangs down and gives you more room. There should be just enough room to fit the squirt bottle of diff oil in there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I cut about 3' of 3/8" or so of clear hose, and put it through the dispensing tapered cap that comes with most gear oil containers cut just a bit smaller than the OD of the hose, and put the suction end of the hose nearly to the bottom of the oil jug, and cut a small slit so I can blow compressed air into the top of the jug, forcing the oil out of the bottom of the container and into the rear, just use caution with the amount of air pressure used, and when it's full, just retrieve your air gun from the container. Helluva lot easier than trying to squeeze cold thick oil by hand in a limited space area. Also warm up the oil by submerging it in a bucket of hot tap water a little prior to the fill also eases the process

trawoc

Reaction score
for what it's worth, I got a cheap weed sprayer from home depot, filled it up with the required gear oil, pumped up the canister with air, opened the spray valve, & put the nozzle into the diff.
Having tried a variety of other methods (tube attached to diff oil bottle), squeezing the bottle, etc, this has been the easiest method I've found (and the best $8 I have ever spent).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back