TR6060 Steel Bellhousing?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I was looking at the NHRA rules for 11.99 and below... specifically the rules for the transmission.

If I'm reading this right, 11.49 or faster requires a steel bellhousing, and 10.99 and faster also needs a tranny shield/blanket.

I'm curious how many tracks enforce this for street cars? Also, it looks like there is a 2yr shelf life on the bellhousing? Really?? It's not like it's a wear item. So long as you actually have not had a clutch explode inside one, shouldn't it be strong for more than just two years? Do they actually demand to see your receipts?

I know Pueblo has been lax in the past, but I also told them I was not going to run any quicker than 12s last time I was there.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
My track doesn't enforce that kind of stuff. They're pretty particular with a safety loop, fire jacket, and a roll bar if needed, but they don't fret over SFI parts. Every track and even each tech guy is going to be different about what they enforce, but from all the tracks I've been to, unless it's a specific build drag car, they don't worry about the SFI stuff.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sam pretty much nailed it IMO.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
My track doesn't enforce that kind of stuff. They're pretty particular with a safety loop, fire jacket, and a roll bar if needed, but they don't fret over SFI parts. Every track and even each tech guy is going to be different about what they enforce, but from all the tracks I've been to, unless it's a specific build drag car, they don't worry about the SFI stuff.
How about the cage? A friend told me that 2008 cars no longer require it for 11s. He also says they don't check the year, so he plans on saying it's a 2008. :)

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How about the cage? A friend told me that 2008 cars no longer require it for 11s. He also says they don't check the year, so he plans on saying it's a 2008. :)

not true.

NHRA has a new rule that 08+ cars "unaltered" will not need a cage down to 10.00. however there is a lot of grey still around the rule and it's implementation. There is a thread on it here.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score

Probably just like everything else, it's up the track or tech guy. The new rule only applies to bone stock 08 or newer cars. Stock down the the tires. No stock Ford can run that quick on street tires anyway, so that rule really only applies to the GTR, or maybe some exotics.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Probably just like everything else, it's up the track or tech guy. The new rule only applies to bone stock 08 or newer cars. Stock down the the tires. No stock Ford can run that quick on street tires anyway, so that rule really only applies to the GTR, or maybe some exotics.
Didn't realize it only counted on stock cars. Pretty sure I could never pull that one off. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
The steel bell housing should be enforced by yourself. Nothing like a clutch disc coming trough the floor board like a saw blade at 6000 plus RPMS! Say goodby to your legs. That is why the Steel Bell is so important.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
The steel bell housing should be enforced by yourself. Nothing like a clutch disc coming trough the floor board like a saw blade at 6000 plus RPMS! Say goodby to your legs. That is why the Steel Bell is so important.
Is there one out for the TR6060? I got my kit from D&D, but I didn't see it on their site.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There was a SFI housing. Last I heard they were no where to be had.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
There was a SFI housing. Last I heard they were no where to be had.
I've been looking at different sites all night, but can't find shit.

I guess I'll give Don @ D&D a call Monday. When I first got my kit, it was going to be with the steel bellhousing, for testing purposes. It wasn't ready when my kit shipped, and I couldn't wait any longer. That was back in 2008.

Does anyone here have a steel housing for their TR6060? Wouldn't a Kevlar tranny blanket be enough protection, assuming tech at my track doesn't inspect that thoroughly?

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
They dont make a standard SFI bell for the 6060 because the bell is also the bearing support. However you can get an adapter to mount one. here a link for an adapter that works for a Camaro.

http://www.rsgear.com/products/transmissions/tranzilla-steel-bell-housing-kit.aspx

Bob Hanlon hooked me up with the set up for my 3650, if anyone can solve your problem He can.

Hanlon Performance 610-469-2695

picture.php

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I didn't realize this was going to be such a PITA. It sounds like (from reading the thread that stkjock posted) that I'd have to send my tranny out to be assembled with the new bellhousing, or know how to shim the thing myself. I'm not sure why I was thinking this was a bolt-on swap. Damn....

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Yup, not a piece of cake swap.
I hate to sound like a cowboy, but I think I'll take my chances. My car is not that fast (yet), so I'll wait until they absolutely call me out on it.

At least there Is an option out there, but to be honest, I'll probably just swap to the T56. When I do, I'll be sure to order it with a steel bell housing....

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Contact Wally at ProMotion Powertrain at 954-771-5575. They offer a Bell Housing for the 6060 that is SFI Certified!

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know if it comes with shims and detailed instructions for alignment?

I am not sure. The site shows it as a 300.00 upgrade when you purchase a 6060 trans from them. Best to call and find out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back