Trans is coming out!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Okay, so the weekend before last at the track I was making some hero runs at the track and ran a new best of 10.07 on my 20" drs. Well two runs after that run I had an issue as I went through the traps. I let of the gas a pushed the O/D button as I always do and the car hit the rev limiter and it was like the pedal was stuck on the floor at 132 mph. After realizing the car was not stopping I killed the ign. and put the car in neutral and started slowing the car. I immediately re fired it and went back to the pits.

Now fasts forward to last weekend at FFW in Houston. I made two passes on Fri. night and the trans pulled fine through the runs but when slowing to turn at the end of the track I felt what seemed like the trans shifting up and down very aggressively. Then while slowing to get my slip it did the same thing but when I went to take off the car revved and the engaged hard and the car started to move. I made one more pass and the same result. Now today I was able to monitor the trans gears with the Baumanator software and the trans is not shifting up and down it is staying in the same gear and for lack of a better word disengaging. Not sure what the issue is but I am going to pull the trans out next weekend and have a friend of mine at my dealer bench it for me and see what he finds.

I guess we will see what the Lentec Strip Terminator is made of! I hope not just find a bunch of stock parts like TexasBlownV8.

I am loading a GoPro video from inside the car now and you can see where I put the car in O/D and the car acted up and took me for a end of the track ride I don't want to feel again. I will post it after it uploads.

Good news it I can finally fix that damn leaking rear main seal!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Make sure you use a Motorcraft rear seal. My drip was caused in part by the National brand that came with my gaskets. Installed a Motorcraft the last time the motor was out and haven't had any problems. An internet search will turn up examples of others having problems with the National seal on a 4.6 too.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
ROFL....now the real question is who likes to more....Billy or Paul? :omfg:

Sincerely I don't know, what I do now is that I just could not do it, yesterday I took the car out and blew the FRPS on a 3-4 WOT shift and was sincerely thinking on pointing it straight to the river, lol.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Make sure you use a Motorcraft rear seal. My drip was caused in part by the National brand that came with my gaskets. Installed a Motorcraft the last time the motor was out and haven't had any problems. An internet search will turn up examples of others having problems with the National seal on a 4.6 too.

I have already searched it a few weeks ago and found that same info. I have a ford seal in it now. I did not use the Ford tool to install it though. My rear seal has leaked on my last to motors. I and really tired of my car having to where a diaper.

Thank God you like working in your car, lol.

Thats the issue, there is nothing about an R&R of a trans that is more fun then going to the track! Now in winter time, its just another day in the garage.

ROFL....now the real question is who likes to more....Billy or Paul? :omfg:

Not me!!!

Sincerely I don't know, what I do now is that I just could not do it, yesterday I took the car out and blew the FRPS on a 3-4 WOT shift and was sincerely thinking on pointing it straight to the river, lol.

If it wasnt so much fun to drive I would be thinking the same, there is just that little issue of being just a tad under insured though.

I thought this was an issue of just hitting the rev limiter at the time. But, after driving the car today I can feel exactly what happened. Only difference is at the track it was at 7100 rpms.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck with the trans... I know the saga of texasblownV8's transmission. I had my 4R70 from PA fail after 13 months. I ended up rebuilding it myself and was really surprised at what was in it for parts........

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4R70w

Okay, so the weekend before last at the track I was making some hero runs at the track and ran a new best of 10.07 on my 20" drs. Well two runs after that run I had an issue as I went through the traps. I let of the gas a pushed the O/D button as I always do and the car hit the rev limiter and it was like the pedal was stuck on the floor at 132 mph. After realizing the car was not stopping I killed the ign. and put the car in neutral and started slowing the car. I immediately re fired it and went back to the pits.

Now fasts forward to last weekend at FFW in Houston. I made two passes on Fri. night and the trans pulled fine through the runs but when slowing to turn at the end of the track I felt what seemed like the trans shifting up and down very aggressively. Then while slowing to get my slip it did the same thing but when I went to take off the car revved and the engaged hard and the car started to move. I made one more pass and the same result. Now today I was able to monitor the trans gears with the Baumanator software and the trans is not shifting up and down it is staying in the same gear and for lack of a better word disengaging. Not sure what the issue is but I am going to pull the trans out next weekend and have a friend of mine at my dealer bench it for me and see what he finds.

I guess we will see what the Lentec Strip Terminator is made of! I hope not just find a bunch of stock parts like TexasBlownV8.

I am loading a GoPro video from inside the car now and you can see where I put the car in O/D and the car acted up and took me for a end of the track ride I don't want to feel again. I will post it after it uploads.

Good news it I can finally fix that damn leaking rear main seal!

You are not to engage the OD at speeds higher than 55-60 MPH!Regardless if the parts are stock or not,it does not matter.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Good luck with the trans... I know the saga of texasblownV8's transmission. I had my 4R70 from PA fail after 13 months. I ended up rebuilding it myself and was really surprised at what was in it for parts........

I have really thought hard about doing this myself since this is the only part on my car that I have not built but with a very skilled person available to me that will let me watch and learn, I feel this is the way to go. Maybe I will let him watch me do it. I mean I have to learn sometime right? Maybe I should just invite Tanner up for the weekend, beer, fishing, boating, moto, 4 wheelers, and all that comes after the trans is installed! LOL :omfg:

You are not to engage the OD at speeds higher than 55-60 MPH!Regardless if the parts are stock or not,it does not matter.

Did not know that. Why would you not be able to let it shift into O/D at 85 mph under half throttle? They rate my O/D at 550 tq. I really think it is an issue with third anyhow but am always open to learn something new.

Last edited by a moderator:

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4R70W

Did not know that. Why would you not be able to let it shift into O/D at 85 mph under half throttle? They rate my O/D at 550 tq. I really think it is an issue with third anyhow but am always open to learn something new.

Speed at which things are spinning & engaging will tear it up real quick.
Yes the OD maybe rated at 550 tq,but only after you engage it at 50-60 MPH preferably not under load of course.Once it is in OD you are looking for good MPG,not power/performance,if so leave it in 3rd.
Lens 4R70W uses stock parts,that's no secret.The stock parts are surprisingly very strong good upto 1100 BHP.The limitations of his trans were tested by JLP on the track & 1100 BHP seems to be the limits.
I have over 1500 passes on mine,I disconnected my OD switch for fear of it being activated during a pass.
Why did you go into OD at the traps anyway? Out of rpms before the stripe?
Nice et by the way,that is one hell of a street car you got.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Thanks and yes out of rpm at the stripe. I had the rev limiter set at 7200 and was crossing the line at 7150. I now I have the rev limiter set at 7800. Last Friday I stopped using the overdrive and just let the car decel from third. Looks like the damage is already done.
So from what you're saying about the transmission parts is more about how its put together and valve body tricks not the parts used? If that is the case it is what it is. Maybe that's better for me since the parts will be locally available.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this is tech guys, let's stay on topic please, thank you

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4R70W

Thanks and yes out of rpm at the stripe. I had the rev limiter set at 7200 and was crossing the line at 7150. I now I have the rev limiter set at 7800. Last Friday I stopped using the overdrive and just let the car decel from third. Looks like the damage is already done.
So from what you're saying about the transmission parts is more about how its put together and valve body tricks not the parts used? If that is the case it is what it is. Maybe that's better for me since the parts will be locally available.

Wow you are spinning this motor up there.
Lens valve body is patented by him.
He may have machined the steels in 1st & final to add extra frictions as he did with mine.
Increase of line pressure for shifting.
Increase in size of filter (uses F 150)
For the most part,all other parts are stock.
What is your launch rpm?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Wow you are spinning this motor up there.
Lens valve body is patented by him.
He may have machined the steels in 1st & final to add extra frictions as he did with mine.
Increase of line pressure for shifting.
Increase in size of filter (uses F 150)
For the most part,all other parts are stock.
What is your launch rpm?

I have the rev limiter that high so I will have more room. I'm still only planning to spin to 7200 at the moment.

I love the performance and how it shifts it is almost instant! The valve body is flawless.

My buddy said since the fluid is clean and doesn't smell bad that most likely I broke something clean when I went to O/D at 7150 and touched the rev limiter and that sent me hard on the rev limiter. I am going to pull it and he will bench it for me at the shop and dealer where he works.

Sounds like we have the same unit with fixed line pressure.

Does it use stock frictions, just more of them? I want to make sure if there is anything special needed that I have it available for him if its not OEM.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have really thought hard about doing this myself since this is the only part on my car that I have not built but with a very skilled person available to me that will let me watch and learn, I feel this is the way to go. Maybe I will let him watch me do it. I mean I have to learn sometime right? Maybe I should just invite Tanner up for the weekend, beer, fishing, boating, moto, 4 wheelers, and all that comes after the trans is installed! LOL :omfg:

Brang it!

I'm not buying that 85mph b.s...

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess what I mean to say is this: The 132 mph isn't as big a deal as the ~7200rpm. If you guys need some help, give me a shout.

As far as Lentech's parts, they put a stock stub in a (supposedly) 1000hp capable trans and I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't had to fix it. Now, I wouldn't build and sell one like that but what do I know...my opinion and a dollar will get you a 20oz soda.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I guess what I mean to say is this: The 132 mph isn't as big a deal as the ~7200rpm. If you guys need some help, give me a shout.

As far as Lentech's parts, they put a stock stub in a (supposedly) 1000hp capable trans and I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't had to fix it. Now, I wouldn't build and sell one like that but what do I know...my opinion and a dollar will get you a 20oz soda.

So I guess I'm safe to assume a Ford rebuild kit along with the Lentech valve body will get me right back to where I was?

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
I put Alto red eagle clutches and Kolene steels in mine when it went. I only lost the direct clutch. Everything else was fine. Couple different places on line to get the parts.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I put Alto red eagle clutches and Kolene steels in mine when it went. I only lost the direct clutch. Everything else was fine. Couple different places on line to get the parts.

Thanks, and yes I saw your post on YB and connected the name. I think I am going to find some kind of a clean break some where in mine. I just want to be prepared.

Not knowing much about the internal parts on an auto trans I have to ask, are those really better then stock stuff?

This an area of my car (maybe the last) that I am not familiar with. I want to build it my self so bad but a trans R&R is my worst nightmare on my car! I am going to be there for the build so I can learn though. I am very good at taking things apart and being able to put them back together. I built the motor in the car and just this week built my first dirt bike motor (Honda 150 crf). Most of the time all it takes is a good workshop manual and some research to get it done. I would rather build the motor twice then pull a trans on jack stands though.

Anyhow, here we go.

photobucket-6371-1364866117120_zps7d1eefc9.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back