W3bb3r04's Coyote Swap Build Thread

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Lord I love reading this thread. Then sometimes I hate reading this thread.

So how is it that a 3V can be fine running 600+ HP on FI but you hear so many people on here having problems with them?

The more hp the easier it is for little things to ruin your day. IMO a 4.6 3v pushing 550 is a whole lot safer than one pushing 600. Numbers are thrown around like it's nothing to make more power and to an extent all it takes is more boost. But that extra boost will magnify any issues that didn't show themselves before.

It's also going to depend on how hard it's driven. A car that only sees the track is going to have a shorter life than one that's used as a daily driver with a few track trips a year.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Well the heads I'm getting have spring and valves done already so it's getting 127500s in it. Lito thinks high 300s on motor and 500 with a 100 shot. I'm going to go after Frankie on the NA 3V list lol

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
The more hp the easier it is for little things to ruin your day. IMO a 4.6 3v pushing 550 is a whole lot safer than one pushing 600. Numbers are thrown around like it's nothing to make more power and to an extent all it takes is more boost. But that extra boost will magnify any issues that didn't show themselves before.

It's also going to depend on how hard it's driven. A car that only sees the track is going to have a shorter life than one that's used as a daily driver with a few track trips a year.

That all makes very good since. What I would use the car for (DD) I don't know if I would need anymore than 550hp. That's a lot to use on the streets.

Bruce as always thank you for your input not only in this thread but so many more. I have to say you know your stuff.... or at less you sure sound like your do. lol. :beer:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I believe it's all how the power is put out. I've found out where my limit is - I like a vehicle that drives smooth, not overly loud and I can drive with ease in traffic. It all depends on the starting point too, I would be perfectly content with a 3V and a Whipple or Roush TVS. My cut off with the GT500 engine is probably the 2.3L TVS and a pulley. It makes the car stupid fast and fun, but regular drivability is there the entire time. For the 5.0 - I love how that engine is with bolt-ons, it just begs for high RPM's.

RJ, I do however miss my bolt-on 3V and sometimes I did take after Bruce's high comp N/A 3V since it's unique in it's own nature. Many write off this engine because of the stock ~120hp difference of the newer S197's

Last edited:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
That all makes very good since. What I would use the car for (DD) I don't know if I would need anymore than 550hp. That's a lot to use on the streets.

Bruce as always thank you for your input not only in this thread but so many more. I have to say you know your stuff.... or at less you sure sound like your do. lol. :beer:

I've been telling you this for how long now?!? :beerdrink:

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
You sold the Manley's already? Just wondering why you need different pistons and block?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
You sold the Manley's already? Just wondering why you need different pistons and block?
No I still have the Manley's. The block has some scores in the the cylinder walls and you can't really go more than .030 over

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize the block was scored. That's too bad
Yeah I know. The cylinder walls looked pretty good til I got the motor out of the car and could get a closer look. Luckily I'm getting this motor for a good price so nothing lost really

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
No the cams look good. Honestly the only wear in the cylinder walls is toward the very top outside close to the deck surface on cylinders 2 3 and some on 4.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
So are you reusing them? What were the specs? Work with your na setup?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
31d74bbe60b2eec2a9a8df897d3df732.jpg

Here's the cam specs but I actually have a buddy buying my whole head/cam set up. I will be purchasing 127500s with limiters for the new set up

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
I believe it's all how the power is put out. I've found out where my limit is - I like a vehicle that drives smooth, not overly loud and I can drive with ease in traffic. It all depends on the starting point too, I would be perfectly content with a 3V and a Whipple or Roush TVS. My cut off with the GT500 engine is probably the 2.3L TVS and a pulley. It makes the car stupid fast and fun, but regular drivability is there the entire time. For the 5.0 - I love how that engine is with bolt-ons, it just begs for high RPM's.

RJ, I do however miss my bolt-on 3V and sometimes I did take after Bruce's high comp N/A 3V since it's unique in it's own nature. Many write off this engine because of the stock ~120hp difference of the newer S197's

Great points, Cam. I agree with all of it. Unless you are building your car mainly to race; it does not make sense to sacrifice drivability for HP.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Great points, Cam. I agree with all of it. Unless you are building your car mainly to race; it does not make sense to sacrifice drivability for HP.

I'm always reading these kind of thread to find out where most people say that cut off point is.

IMO "only from reading" it seems to be about 500 - 650hp and maybe that is a bit on the high side. I think with a 550hp car that you can still DD you have more than enough to enjoy the car and run with just about anything that pulls up to you at some light and still take it to the track a few times a year and have fun with it.

and and and and... :crazy:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back