W3bb3r04's Coyote Swap Build Thread

lito

forum member
Reaction score
2V < 2V PI < 4V Cobra < 4V Termi/Mach1 < 3V < 4V GT500/FGT/CobraR < 4V Coyote.

With its differences and special cases but in general that is the progression.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Maybe we can call the 2015 coyote engine with ported heads, larger valves, higher lift cams and revised intake manifold 4V PI. lol

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Maybe we can call the 2015 coyote engine with ported heads, larger valves, higher lift cams and revised intake manifold 4V PI. lol

I really doubt Ford would like that, for some reason I think they want those nonPI heads forgotten and completely unrelated to 11-14 successful Coyote heads as it would be implied.

Yuslowgt

Reaction score
2V < 2V PI < 4V Cobra < 4V Termi/Mach1 < 3V < 4V GT500/FGT/CobraR < 4V Coyote.

With its differences and special cases but in general that is the progression.

So I'm better off getting a coyote motor and turbo that?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I really doubt Ford would like that, for some reason I think they want those nonPI heads forgotten and completely unrelated to 11-14 successful Coyote heads as it would be implied.

Fore sure, those heads were miserable!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So I'm better off getting a coyote motor and turbo that?

If you don't plan on going over 700rwhp and want to spend more money to get there then yes. The rods will still need to be changed. The block will come apart at 700rwhp+. Just how it is.

Yuslowgt

Reaction score
If you don't plan on going over 700rwhp and want to spend more money to get there then yes. The rods will still need to be changed. The block will come apart at 700rwhp+. Just how it is.

Deff plan on pushing more then that I plan on bringing the car to the 2k15 in Texas next year and trying to get things ready. Need to make something with very good mid and top end that's why I'm asking about how good I can get the 3v heads. Someone told me don't quote me on this that you can build a 3v to handle 8k revs. Anyone can shed some knowledge on that?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Deff plan on pushing more then that I plan on bringing the car to the 2k15 in Texas next year and trying to get things ready. Need to make something with very good mid and top end that's why I'm asking about how good I can get the 3v heads. Someone told me don't quote me on this that you can build a 3v to handle 8k revs. Anyone can shed some knowledge on that?

You would need a stand alone controller because the 3v ecu won't allow that high. IIRC it maxes out at 7800rpm, I'd have to look it up to be sure.

3v motors have made over 1000rwhp with the correct fuel and boost. The block can handle just about whatever you can throw at it.

7500 rpm 3v heads aren't difficult at all. People only change the springs and are capable of that. You can put a whole lot of money into it if you want to.

Yuslowgt

Reaction score
You would need a stand alone controller because the 3v ecu won't allow that high. IIRC it maxes out at 7800rpm, I'd have to look it up to be sure.

3v motors have made over 1000rwhp with the correct fuel and boost. The block can handle just about whatever you can throw at it.

7500 rpm 3v heads aren't difficult at all. People only change the springs and are capable of that. You can put a whole lot of money into it if you want to.

I see you have aftermatket heads, how is the upper rpms with it good topend?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There is a lot more to it than just the heads. I've tested multiple set ups and know that the icl of my cams helps my top end, so does the frpp intake, and especially so does the 3.701" bore the Big Bore Boss block provides.

I can show you some datalogs but keep in mind they are from my motor with my values for the tune info.

IMO forced induction doesn't need as much help with airflow because the air is being forced into the cylinders. A pd blower gets help from a larger tb. A centri or turbo force air into the tb so it's not as important in that respect.

Here is the uncorrected, actual power made:

Here is a datalog that shows airflow with that setup:

Airflow didn't stop climbing. Max rpm was around 7100 rpms. Max airflow was about 47lbs.

Yuslowgt

Reaction score
There is a lot more to it than just the heads. I've tested multiple set ups and know that the icl of my cams helps my top end, so does the frpp intake, and especially so does the 3.701" bore the Big Bore Boss block provides.

I can show you some datalogs but keep in mind they are from my motor with my values for the tune info.

IMO forced induction doesn't need as much help with airflow because the air is being forced into the cylinders. A pd blower gets help from a larger tb. A centri or turbo force air into the tb so it's not as important in that respect.

Here is the uncorrected, actual power made:

Here is a datalog that shows airflow with that setup:

Airflow didn't stop climbing. Max rpm was around 7100 rpms. Max airflow was about 47lbs.

Wow nice power curve your Set up is really nice

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Wow nice power curve your Set up is really nice

Thanks. IMO it's mostly because of the larger bore unshrouding the valves. I'm wondering what a 5.0 on e85 does? I realize I have 20 more cubic inches and am at 12:1 vs 11:1.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Lord I love reading this thread. Then sometimes I hate reading this thread.

So how is it that a 3V can be fine running 600+ HP on FI but you hear so many people on here having problems with them?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
The built and turbo'd 3V really is a love/hate thing isn't it?

Yeah it definitely is. I never really hated the set up, just the fact that the motor kept letting me down.

Lord I love reading this thread. Then sometimes I hate reading this thread.

So how is it that a 3V can be fine running 600+ HP on FI but you hear so many people on here having problems with them?

Both of my engine failures were due to things somewhat out of my hand. The first engine failure was due to a powdercoater leaving sand basting material in my valve covers behind the baffle. The second failure was due to the underdrive pulley (did not know it was an underdrive for sure) started coming apart and the vibration crushed the oil pump. Neither one of these are due to the motor itself but hardware failure or foreign material ruining the motor.

I think there is a load of different variables to account for when building a car that strays far from stock.

Well Lito has talked me into doing a few things to the new motor I am picking up even though I am staying NA. He suggested some stock bore flat top Mahle's and my h beams out of the current motor. This will give me an 11:1 shortblock with the ability to boost it down the road.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back