What would you do, options

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
Had my Eaton True Track Differential installed and when I picked up the car I asked how the install went and got some disturbing news, they set the backlash to .007 factory spec and added Synthetic gear oil to it. Now here's the thing before the install I went to the shop and met with the owner and told him that I had talked with Eaton and they said #1. Check backlash before disassembly record it and set the backlash the same since I am reusing my existing 3:73 gears and #2. Do not use Synthetic gear oil the shop owner was off yesterday when I picked up the car so now what do I do the oil can be drained but the set up of the backlash for the gear now can not be fixed since they never recorded what it was so if it starts gear wine down the road the only fix that I know of is a new ring and pinion gear and new set up. The shop owner left me a voice mail last night saying Eaton told him Synthetic gear oil was ok but I talked with there tech again this morning and he said no one would have told him that he did say the Synthetic oil would not hurt it but it would be less effective, What the hell do I do now, what options do I have before I have my face to face with this shop owner.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ask the woner why he didn't follow you specific instructions, I would stop payment on however you paid him, drop the car off and tell him when he has the job done per YOUR instructions you will release funds otherwise you will bein touch with and attorney. Your instruction were NOT "hey do whatever you think is right"! THis is the kind of crap that drives me postal.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would have then drain and refill with dino oil. It's in the paperwork that comes with the unit to use dino oil, you spoke to them to use dino oil, they need to make that right.

as far as the backlash - I would talk to him about what he'll do if they start to make noise.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
If you re-used the existing gears, they should have only pulled the diff to change the ring gear, right? No need to pull the pinion gear. If the pinion gear stays in place, can the backlash still change?

drain the fluid, put in Lucas 85w-140 (spec'd for the CJ) and press on.

The shop that installed my truetrac used synthetic fluid as well; I drove it home and swapped it out on my own. Next time I have gears done I'll bring the fluid with me and watch them use it...

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
Yes they only changed the differantail and swapped the ring gear but they re-shimed it to factoy specs instead of setting the backlash to what it was before dissasembly. The only good side to it is there is only 17,000 miles on the gears so i don't know howmuch the backlash could have changed but they should have checked it and set it to that, per my and Eatons instructions.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My local Ford dealer installed my tru-trac. Local dealer phones eaton..and eaton read em the riot act about NOT using synthetic..only dino oil. It relies on friction to achieve its 3.5:1 bias ratio. You won't get anywhere near that with synthetic..which just defeats the purpose of the tru-trac. "No synthetic...+ NO friction modifiers"
It's right in the eaton manual.... dino oil only. Some of these shops are staffed by complete idiots. You basically have to supply the dino oil. Only then u will get it done right........and look for the empty containers.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1) Bring down the paperwork from the manufacturer that states what you are saying in writing (he can't argue that if you show it in writing, can he?)

2) have them change out the gear oil

3) somehow document your conversion with the owner regarding the whine if he agrees to re-do it if whine is present. All though there are a few things he could do to get out of that--one of which is the whine was pre-existing, etc.

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
I did document my conversation about the possibility of gear wine and him saying he will take care of it if it happens, he also offered to change the gear oil but I have decided to change it myself going with Lucas 75W140 GL5 Dino oil that way I know what's going in there we have snow and salt covered roads so I am just going to keep the car in the garage plus I am done with this guy. Another garage that can't follow directions.

Back