'05 GT - Vibration in steering wheel.

SmallBlock850

Reaction score
I have this odd vibration in the steering wheel\column.
It happens regardless of the vehicle being in gear, moving, sitting still but it is more noticeable when driving.

This is an intermittent thing that changes with the engine RPM.

The car has headers but I don't see it touching the steering shaft anywhere.
You can hear it around the 20 second mark in this video.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Hmmmm Interesting. Is this new or something that has happened intermittent on/off in the past? Any recent mods or repairs that might have caused this?

Double check header is not rubbing on steering shaft, check motor mounts too. Also do a quick inspection under the dash make sure steering column bolts are tight and nothing is rubbing on the column.

Finally, do a suspension check, tie rods, ball joints, steering rack, etc.

SmallBlock850

Reaction score
I'm replacing the struts and bar end links this weekend, so I'll have a clearer look at everything then.
That buzzing has been there since I bought it.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I hate to ask... was the car ever in an accident?

You have a vibration and an audible noise... back track starting from the steering wheel and work your way down to the front suspension.

Could be something as simple as a loose cross-bolt on the steering shaft or something more complicated due to impact or wear and tear...

You will be able to check hub bearings, tie-rods and ball joints when doing the front struts.

Good luck this weekend with the project.

SmallBlock850

Reaction score
Yes, the car was smacked on the driver side fender once upon a time.
The odd bit is the noise\vibration is there even at idle in neutral depending on the RPM.

I figured I would just ask as maybe it was a known thing somewhere in the steering column.
The car drives and rides very well, it tracks great, and the alignment is straight as could be.

I'm guessing it has to be either something in the steering rack or a loose something or other.
I'll report back once I get into the depths this weekend.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I’m gonna be curious to see what you find on this.. that’s a weird one. Obviously all the previous suggestions are good things to check but I’d also be looking under the dash, that column may be picking up the resonance from the motor but the actual noise could be anywhere along the column. I could be way off, kinda hard to tell from a video!

Reaction score
If it's doing this when sitting still, I would check the motor mounts too. Maybe the bushings are bad or the bolts have come loose.

Joe combs

Reaction score
Think this may be your buzzing noise...... TSB 08-3-4

Ford TSB Article # 08-3-4
Some 2005-2008 Mustang vehicles built before 12/03/2007 may exhibit a concern with a rattle, buzz, or vibration from either the center stack console (radio/heater area), steering wheel, seat, floorpan, and/or gearshift area.

SmallBlock850

Reaction score
Think this may be your buzzing noise...... TSB 08-3-4

Ford TSB Article # 08-3-4
Some 2005-2008 Mustang vehicles built before 12/03/2007 may exhibit a concern with a rattle, buzz, or vibration from either the center stack console (radio/heater area), steering wheel, seat, floorpan, and/or gearshift area.

Amazing. That seems completely plausible.
I sat there revving it in the driveway today twisting my head around here and there. I'm not certain where the noise/vibration is coming from. Thank you very much!

Laga

Reaction score
Can you hear or isolate the noise when looking under the hood?

MrBhp

Reaction score
Are the headers long tube? And do you know what brand? I had a similar issue. I dinged one tube at the steering shaft knuckle, and also loosened the two motor mount bolts, one on each side, and bumped the engine over to the passenger side. It may only move a few thousandths, but it was enough to fix mine.

Also, the e brake can rattle at a spot under the leather boot. All it takes is a piece of dynomat to fix it. That particular rattle was hard to find on mine. It seemed to resonate all over the car.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Always good to check TSBs...

Great advise Joe! :)

Attachments

• tsb08-03-04.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 6

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ The separator plate "buzz" was a sound identical to a loose heat shield on a catalytic converter. Had it on my 2005. Very random and took months to isolate. Fortunately a guy on a site no longer in existence now (think it was just called mustang forum) had posted up the problem and followed through with what fixed it. Had he not followed through I would have never found it. He was fortunate to have a dealer with a service department dedicated enough to isolate it. He was also kind enough to email me a copy of his service report that I took to my local dealer and after several days they were able to duplicate and resolve the issue. Helps sometimes when you have proof that another shop had fixed an intermittent problem. Puts the service department to the test. The fix involves pulling the tranny, removing the separator plate and enlarging the clearance hole in the plate that the crank hub passes through.

This experience and that guy's follow through with the resolve is why I am very adamant about follow through with resolves on this site. It helps others and shows a level of selflessness to do so.

This issue you are having/captured IMHO sounds completely different to the rattle mine made with the separator plate interference issue which was way more random. Best of luck.

Last edited:

SmallBlock850

Reaction score
My mistake, it indeed is a header tube touching the steering shaft.

I'm not sure of the brand but with the hood open and my son as an assistant turning the steering wheel in addition to revving the engine, that's it.

You can even see where it has been rubbing.
I had that problem on my El Camino but I dimpled the tube before doing the final bolt down.

It's going to be a real PITA to attempt any sort of dimple with how close this thing is.

upload_2022-12-4_12-1-42.png

upload_2022-12-4_12-2-16.png

Laga

Reaction score
If you remove the driver side bolt that holds the steering rack, and loosen the passenger side. You can slide the rack forward. You can then remove the steering shaft to give you room.
The good news is, denting the header tube does not affect performance. The guys on “Engine Masters” proved this.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ I think I saw that video. That was crazy what they had to do to make just a small change in HP loss...if that's the same guys.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Good catch!

If you done want to dent the header... Several vendors sell adjustable height motor mounts.

Also, a simple large washer under your existing motor mount might to move the motor up a few might work too...

Back