05MoneyPit. Iron block Build

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
First pass, 10.50 :helpme:

Got in three passes in today at the http://www.steelvalleysupernationals.com/ track prep was very minimal coupled with the hundred or so street tire cars but I figured it would be a good shakedown for the new motor.

First pass today it went 10.88 @ 129 with 1.76 60'.....spun pretty hard, my normal 60's are 1.40 so it was in the ball park for 10.50

2nd pass it hooked really well and was on it's way to a good run, when I shifted into 3rd gear the exhaust pipe at the X pipe blew off and it startled the hell out me. Didn't realize what it was and I thought something broke in the trans so I aborted the run. Girl at the time slip booth gave me wrong slip so I have no idea what my incrementals were.

3rd pass it blew the tires off at the hit, popped it into second and it headed for the wall so I gave up.

I'm not sure if it was all because of the poor track prep and high temps or if the added 80lbs on the front of the car from the iron block has my suspension off. Need to get it on a sticky track before I start making major suspension adjustments.

One thing for sure about the iron block is it does take longer to cool down after the run than the aluminum block.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Do you have an electric water pump? If so then wire the fan and water pump to a toggle switch to battery power so you can run them both for 5 min in the pits with the car off to cool the water down.

Congrats on getting it all back together!:clap:

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have an electric water pump? If so then wire the fan and water pump to a toggle switch to battery power so you can run them both for 5 min in the pits with the car off to cool the water down.

Congrats on getting it all back together!:clap:

Yep have that set up, just sayin the iron takes a lot longer to get the temp back down than the aluminum block did. Not really a problem just more of an observation.....lol

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
Congrats man! I'm glad you seem to have your issue fixed so far. Let us know how everything is going as you run it some more.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
I've been fighting the WG for boost set up with the manual controller. Seems I can really only get it to hold boost at what seems like spring pressure. For now I have blocked it off and am running my 3.33 pulley which puts me at about 18psi. I can still run the 10.50 number but it takes some work so I decided to free up a little more power with a slightly less restrictive exhaust for track use and it also saves about 50lb of weight be pulling the stock pipes.

It is however loud as hell.........:roflmao:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
why dumps....
145-321-large.jpg

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly IDK....just seemed like the right thing to do rather than have the exhaust blow onto the car floor. I do know that having a couple feet of pipe after the O2 sensor makes it read a lot more steady. I ran the car once with open headers and the wideband reading was as nervous as queer at a weenie roast....

On a side note. When I pulled the stock mufflers I found there is something rattling around in the drivers side muffler, sounds like a broken baffle.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't see it when I replied but it's there now......yep racecar.

Took it out a little bit ago for a couple simulated dyno pulls.....Jesus is it ever loud at 7K.........lol

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it when I replied but it's there now......yep racecar.

Took it out a little bit ago for a couple simulated dyno pulls.....Jesus is it ever loud at 7K.........lol

:beerchug2:

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Little progress update.

Went to Summit Motorsports Park Friday night for test and tune in preparation for the Renegade index race on Saturday.

First pass with the 3.33 blower pulley and the race exhaust. Track prep at SMP was stellar and the car left well and I knew it was on a good pass and would be faster than the 10.50 I was shooting for but ran it out so I could get a good data log.

Needless to say I was more than a little surprised at the numbers 9.985 at 138mph :lol2:. Data log showed it made 20.2 lbs of boost at 7000 going through the traps. So for the next pass I took a giant swing at the tune and took out 30% of the spark and fattened the base fuel up to .76 to slow it down.

Well that worked and got me back in the ballpark with a 10.76 the second pass and I figured I could work with that on Saturday.

Unfortunately it rained all morning Saturday and even though SMP has the best track personal and equipment around the decision was made to run 1/8 mile Saturday. That made my index 6.70. We got one qualifying pass and I added back a little spark and went 6.82 at 103mph which was good enough for the number 6 spot.....unfortunately just as we were called up for first round of eliminations the skies opened up again and mother nature won the race.

All in all I am very happy with the iron block for my application.

Lee

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back