'08 4.0L Exhaust Setup Question

GreyHounds

Reaction score
Hey all,

New member to the forum but I've been here reading for quite some time. Finally looking to revamp the exhaust system for my car. My ideal setup is a set of longtubes into an H pipe, while keeping it catted. I'm a CA resident, so custom exhaust work is unfortunately out of the question. After much searching, the only H pipe i've found at all is Kook's catted H, which states that it only bolts up to Kook's long tubes. What combinations of long tubes and H pipes have you guys seen or had success with?

This whole thing could be done with if I decided to go with an X or Y but I'm still holding out.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From what I’ve read no LT header is CARB compliant

My .02. Save ya money for a V8

GreyHounds

Reaction score
Not too worried about CARB. Getting around emissions testing isn't half as hard as you'd think.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You could try a set of Pacesetters with Pypes high flow cats. Pacesetter and Pypes have an H-pipe, and you might have to take a couple of inches off of the H, but the combination would work.

GreyHounds

Reaction score
You could try a set of Pacesetters with Pypes high flow cats. Pacesetter and Pypes have an H-pipe, and you might have to take a couple of inches off of the H, but the combination would work.
Ain't hard. But ain't cheap either. Are headers worth the head ache on a V6? Not trying to be a dick. Legitimately curious.
I'm leaning toward something pretty close to that combo, might use mac headers to make sure they work right with the prochamber (close enough to an H pipe and avoids the hassle)
I'm gunning for longtubes because the next step is slapping an X-Charger on the car, and I'd like to be able to run lower boost while keeping the gains up. Appreciate the responses all.

GreyHounds

Reaction score
Ended up opting for a prochamber, mac catback piping, and FR500s mufflers, figure it's the better move to keep the car CARB legal so I don't have to convert the whole thing back to stock every 2 years. The install was hell, but the sound is exactly what I was going for. I'll post an exhaust clip in the next few days.

The next mods are going to be some BBK shorties and either an Airaid or Ford CAI. Anybody have experience with shorties, positive or negative?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed NO gains by installing shorties over stock manifolds, and I also did the dual conversion at the time when mine was still running the 4.0. Still have the pypes direct fit SS shorties if you want them, $100 + shipping.

GreyHounds

Reaction score
That's really good to know, I've heard they can be a wash or provide minimal gains for the price. Any sound difference? lol

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
That's really good to know, I've heard they can be a wash or provide minimal gains for the price. Any sound difference? lol

Yes, did change the sound for the better IMO. But keep in mind that it was headers AND cat back changed at the same time. Once you go FI, they might provide some gains over stock manifolds.

Ps: my Pypes mufflers rusted out after a few years and I replaced them with a pair SSS axle backs. (there is a set for sale on here) Those sounded much better than the pypes mufflers and they sound awesome with the 5.0 (stock headers w/magnaflow catted X) I've had several ppl come up to me and had to ask what was done to the car due to the way it sounds. :)

GreyHounds

Reaction score
Man ain't that the truth. Sometimes it seems like I should just buy everything because FI amplifies it haha.
Always fun slapping on a new set of mufflers, it can totally change the vibe of the car

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back