1/4 mile time questions

darktemplar

forum member
Reaction score
Hey peeps, I got an 08 GT manual that Ive done a little work to since I got it in January.

My mod list is:
Pypes O/R X pipe
Pypes Mid Muffler catback
Steeda CAI
Steeda LCA
Hurst Comp shifter
Factory 3.31 gears

At the local track, which is terrible track for prep, my best time is a 13.29. I run consistent around 13.3-13.4. My best 60' is 2.01....Im on stock 17" bullitts and stock Pirelli tires.

I launch around 2000-2500, not to much play with the clutch. Shift at 6500, Ive played with powershifting some.

Big question is should I be faster or am I reasonable for what I got done?? I came from a 07 Civic Si which was running high 13 with full bolt ons, so Im still learning about the Mustang and RWD in all lol.

Any advice would be nice, or just tell me Im a sucky driver lol. Ill take either :)

darktemplar

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry bout that, last Thursday I ran a 13.3 at 106 w/ 2.01 60'.

And also have a SCT handheld tuner with Bama tunes. Forgot about that.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Sorry bout that, last Thursday I ran a 13.3 at 106 w/ 2.01 60'.

And also have a SCT handheld tuner with Bama tunes. Forgot about that.

Easy high 12's with tires alone. Maybe mids with gears and suspension. Good times, MUCH better than alot of people I have seen who track their cars. I have pulled on guys at the strip who should be beating me based on #'s alone but couldn't drive their cars for shit. And DON'T play with powershifting, DO IT always (at the track of course) :thumb:

darktemplar

forum member
Reaction score
One question, how are you launching yours?? Ive read some guys leaving at very high RPM....Im just not the comfortable launching to high. And what kind of PSI should I let these stock tires down to??

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
One question, how are you launching yours?? Ive read some guys leaving at very high RPM....Im just not the comfortable launching to high. And what kind of PSI should I let these stock tires down to??

I launch mine about 3-3500 RPM slipping out and foot to the floor once the clutch releases. Too little RPM car bogs, too much, car blows the tires off. Bear in mind I'm running on 20's with 30 series rear tires. Your 60' is respectable for a street tire. If you can achieve consistent 2.0's thats pretty good. I am in pretty much the same boat with a best of 1.997 on my 285/30/20's (no sidewall means no traction :p).

As for tire pressures, just have to play with em. If you don't have a compressor or air source near by I wouldn't go to low as I assume you are driving the car to the track. If you do, i say start in the low 20's and work from there. If the car is skating too much on the big end, you need more pressure.

darktemplar

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet, well I'm going to try a few different things next Thursday night and see what I can do. Maybe improve it a little. I would love to grab a set of Nitto 555r's or E/T Streets!! But Im dead broke for a little while......lol

How do you like the 4.10s?? Big noticeable difference??

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Sweet, well I'm going to try a few different things next Thursday night and see what I can do. Maybe improve it a little. I would love to grab a set of Nitto 555r's or E/T Streets!! But Im dead broke for a little while......lol

How do you like the 4.10s?? Big noticeable difference??

In terms of ET's, not much diff because the car wont hook with them on a street tire. In terms of fun to drive, there is no question, 4.10's will rip your face off compared to 3.31's. See here:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65757

darktemplar

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone else like to chime in on there opinions or experience? Eyes and ears are open Lol Dying to get my car into the 12's!!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Tires dude. Tires are the single best mod for the track. With them you can add more gofast mods and actually receive the benefit. ET streets are the shit.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
That's actually a decent pass for your mods. You need TIRES in the worst way. And don't bother airing down your Pirellis. I'm sure you'll slow down if you drop below 28psi on those tires.

Tires, a gear, and seat time will drop you well into the 12s.

Joser281

Reaction score
I wouldn't get the 555's for the track. Get a good drag radial instead. Also buy some aftermarket lower control arms and LCA relocation brakets.

Edit: oops misread your post and saw that you said 555R's instead of the 555's, lol, NVM

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Slip that clutch out when leaving from 5k+, and invest in some DR's you will already be in the 12's.
If you don't know how to power shift don't start learning on your car, you will destroy your synchros. lol
just shift fast and let your foot off the gas just a bit or get a wotbox.

Last edited:

darktemplar

forum member
Reaction score
Tires dude. Tires are the single best mod for the track. With them you can add more gofast mods and actually receive the benefit. ET streets are the shit.

Yea thats what I going to get as soon as I get some funds!

That's actually a decent pass for your mods. You need TIRES in the worst way. And don't bother airing down your Pirellis. I'm sure you'll slow down if you drop below 28psi on those tires.

Tires, a gear, and seat time will drop you well into the 12s.

Thanks

I wouldn't get the 555's for the track. Get a good drag radial instead. Also buy some aftermarket lower control arms and LCA relocation brakets.

Edit: oops misread your post and saw that you said 555R's instead of the 555's, lol, NVM

Yea I got some Steeda LCA but how much more do the relocation brackets help??

Slip that clutch out when leaving from 5k+, and invest in some DR's you will already be in the 12's.
If you don't know how to power shift don't start learning on your car, you will destroy your synchros. lol
just shift fast and let your foot off the gas just a bit or get a wotbox.

I know how to powershift, thats all I did in my previous car, a 07 Civic Si which reved so fast I had no choice really lol. And Ill let yall know an update whenever I get a better time. I think majority has ruled on some good tires so thats what Ill be getting soon!

BlueByYou

Tuscarora Native American
Reaction score
Light weight wheels and sticky tires are what you need my friend!! My car runs 12.30's with 3.31 gears.Check my sig for mod list. Every part on my car was bought used except the tuner and i have less than $1500 in them all.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
before you go spending money think about a few things though

do you want a good street tire that will help you launch a little better <-> or do you want a good launching tire that is just about legal to drive on the street.

with gears I go against the grain with alot of people. I only put 3.73s in my car becouse I hate shifting 4th when I can actually see the lines for the traps. IMO for 4.10s or deeper you should have a taller tire than stock.

and as others have said, learn how to launch it. do some searching and play with a few diffrent ideas. one thing you will learn about mustangs vs hondas is that mustangs are heavily driver dependant weather you are launching, shifting, or going around corners. there are guys on here that I bet would take your car and lay donw a 12.5 with it. there are several guys that have gone between 13.1 and 12.9 with an intake and a tune with these cars. (I got close with a 13.4 intake and tune only, but I was also on dryrotted goodyears at the time)

darktemplar

forum member
Reaction score
Light weight wheels and sticky tires are what you need my friend!! My car runs 12.30's with 3.31 gears.Check my sig for mod list. Every part on my car was bought used except the tuner and i have less than $1500 in them all.

Damn! Thats sweet! And your freaking moving lol

before you go spending money think about a few things though

do you want a good street tire that will help you launch a little better <-> or do you want a good launching tire that is just about legal to drive on the street.

with gears I go against the grain with alot of people. I only put 3.73s in my car becouse I hate shifting 4th when I can actually see the lines for the traps. IMO for 4.10s or deeper you should have a taller tire than stock.

and as others have said, learn how to launch it. do some searching and play with a few diffrent ideas. one thing you will learn about mustangs vs hondas is that mustangs are heavily driver dependant weather you are launching, shifting, or going around corners. there are guys on here that I bet would take your car and lay donw a 12.5 with it. there are several guys that have gone between 13.1 and 12.9 with an intake and a tune with these cars. (I got close with a 13.4 intake and tune only, but I was also on dryrotted goodyears at the time)

Thats what I need to do is launch harder I think. I dont know how much more I can do with the stock tires though. Prob just blow them out if I try to launch to high.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Not if you slip your clutch. I slipped from 5500 on street tires and got two chirps and a 1.88 60ft on 3.31's.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back