1 piece spark plug conversion (2007 GT)

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I should know this, but my 2007 4.6 has the 2 piece spark plugs (Pre Nov 07) and are original. Time to change and I’d love to put in the newer 1 piece style if possible. What is the Motorcraft part number for the 1 piece? Does it fit? Thanks

AHaze

Reaction score
Different thread size. You would have to swap on a set of 2008.5+ heads.
I think the Brisk one piece plugs are still available for the early heads. The two piece plugs are a non-issue if you coat them in high temp anti-seize and remove/clean/recoat them periodically. A bit of a pain in the ass but not worth changing heads over IMHO.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The original style 2 piece plugs have all been redesigned well over 10 years ago when the issues became common. Any replacement plug manufactured since then will be fine. This issue is no longer an issue except for those who have never changed the original plugs.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I should know this, but my 2007 4.6 has the 2 piece spark plugs (Pre Nov 07) and are original. Time to change and I’d love to put in the newer 1 piece style if possible. What is the Motorcraft part number for the 1 piece? Does it fit? Thanks

Here ya go.

Engines built up to 30th November 2007 (mid 2008 MY) with black coil boots: Motorcraft SP547 plugs with 16mm thread.

Engines built from 1st December 2007 onwards with brown coil boots: Motorcraft SP509 plugs with 12mm thread.

Just remember to apply a thin smear of nickel anti-seize compound to the barrel of the plug (not the threads) in order to prevent carbon build up between the plug and the head.

Last edited:

Reloader

Reaction score
I put in the MSD units when the car was purchased in May. MSD Iridium MSD 3 IR6 37164. They are available on Ebay.

I confirmed with MSD that they are one piece.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks guys! Just need to safely get the one piece’s out. Is an impact the way to go? Thought the quick shock might jar loose. Will be soaking for a day with penetrating fluid.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks guys! Just need to safely get the one piece’s out. Is an impact the way to go? Thought the quick shock might jar loose. Will be soaking for a day with penetrating fluid.

Yes, apparently that method works very well.

Miker

Reaction score
My 2004 F150 has 118,000 on the original plugs. My new to me 2005 Mustang GT got a new long block from the Ford dealership in 2012 and now has about 40,000 on it. I know my F150 is a crap shoot and it's still running decent but I know it could run better. I would like to give it a shot but dam what a headache it could turn out to be.
The Mustang though with only 40,000 on them should be no issue. A lot better access to the plugs on the Mustang than the F150 too.
You would think that when the dealership installed the long block in 2012 they would have known in to put anti seize on the plugs.
I've got that same Aircat stubby impact too, just building up the nerve.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The official Ford line is to remove them cold and do NOT use an impact. However, the common opinion from the field is to get the engine slightly warm and use an impact. Dealership spark plug changes usually result in needing to extract broken plugs or even replacement heads. Youtube videos of mechanics using impacts almost always result in a perfect job with no issues.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
The official Ford line is to remove them cold and do NOT use an impact. However, the common opinion from the field is to get the engine slightly warm and use an impact. Dealership spark plug changes usually result in needing to extract broken plugs or even replacement heads. Youtube videos of mechanics using impacts almost always result in a perfect job with no issues.
Roger that. thanks squirrel. I ensured I had a few wobble extensions to get the angle right, gonna use my M18 Fuel impact, overkill but will pop it off...
Plan is to soak with creoil for a day, and get it semi warm and go to town...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Is that a 1/2" impact? Turn it down to 1 or 2 setting. A 3/8" impact will handle it easily.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I see you’re in the Atlanta area; I have the Lisle extractor tool if you want to have one handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
Accel makes 1-piece plugs for our cars. That is what I'm running now but one heat range cooler. They are copper core as opposed to silver or platinum but been performing well.

djr_xr7

Reaction score
Good luck. I had 06 GT with original plugs (and 160k miles). Broke 7 of 8 getting them out. I soaked them with the recommended solvents, tried the loosen a little, then tighten a little trick, resoak, repeat still broke. After going 1 for 3 I tried using an impact wrench, and they broke. I used the Lisle extractor kit which worked great, until the threads were too worn on the extractor piece with 1 plug left to do. Was able to buy just that piece rather than the whole kit. It wasn't a horrible ordeal, but it really stressed me out.

dryhero

Reaction score
@Macman45. Sorry to jump in here but I found your thread and had to hitch a ride. I'm in the same boat with an August '07 production Shelby...104K and original plugs (eek!). Car is new to me but have read much on this plug issue since becoming aware. Ostensibly the hot engine with impact has better success than Ford's TSB, but a few very knowledgeable people strongly warned me against it using an impact. Plenty examples of TSB failures, but can't find many problems using the hot impact method. I'm sure I'm overthinking this and already purchased the Lisle extraction set.

My plan is to start with Ford's TSB and follow it to a tee but go very sloooow. Crack 1 plug loose, let it soak (using Ford recommended carb cleaner) for minimum 24 hrs, and gently proceed. May add a little Seafoam deep creep/PB blaster after the 24 hr soak for insurance. As you indicated, it seems maintaining socket alignment is also important. If that works I'll continue to the next hole.

If the first fails, I'm going to attempt to reassemble broken plug, run/heat the limping engine and try the hot impact method on #2.

Won't be able to tackle until November but I plan to document the process. Any thoughts?
Again, very sorry for the poor etiquite, but your feedback has been so solid and this isn't a decade old thread. Mad respect to you! Thank you!

Miker

Reaction score
I wouldn't do the break it loose a bit then let it soak. Seems if the barrel is seized the initial small turn would fracture it. I would get it hot and use an impact. Too many success story's to discount that method.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Warm engine and a lightweight impact, 3/8" drive. And if the car is new to you, odds are the plugs have been changed some time in the last 15 years. It won't be a big deal. It's a couple hours job at most.

MrBhp

Reaction score
LIGHTWEIGHT impact is key. It's the only way I'm comfortable pulling these damn things. Just do a quick burst "out". Quick burst "in". Quick burst "out"...etc. You may still break one. But you have given yourself the best chance at the least amount of headache.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back