1 piece spark plug conversion (2007 GT)

crjackson

Reaction score
I’ve done this with a cordless Impact-Driver not an impact-wrench. It worked very well for me too. I also brought the engine to operating temperature first.

Just my opinion, but I’d be a little hesitant to use an impact-wrench unless you can turn it down (a lot). My 1/4” impact-driver is good to about 80 ft. lbs., and the BPM’s is fairly mild. They’re pretty inexpensive, I’d grab one of those for the job.

In fact, I just used it on my Coyote to do the plugs. They’re not like the old 2-pc plugs, but the impact-driver makes the job a lot easier.

Last edited:

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I have a little 1/4” M18 fuel, supposedly has 2000 inch pounds of torque. That’s 166ft pounds. Also have the massive M18 1/2” impact, something like 1000 ft pounds or more. I use for suspension and Lugnuts etc. Unsure if my little 1/4” hex shank impact driver can do it. Ill
Try it. Guess if it can’t it won’t break the plugs. I’m using Kreoil for penetrating oil

07 Boss

Reaction score
It really kind of amazes me how long people go without pulling their plugs. I pulled mine two or three times a year when I was putting miles on the car. I don't race the car too much more but I still pull them at least once during the year. Anyways, if you pull them occasionally for inspection and cleaning you will never run into the issue of the plug barrel getting seized in the cylinder head.

FireRed0Five

Reaction score
I'm looking to do this job, I've got an 05 with 140k on it, original owner had the car since 17k so i know they are original. Ive got a 1/2 inch Milwaukee impact that has about 650 ft lb torque on the highest setting there are 3 different power modes. Anyone know what power setting I should use? should I use the lowest power setting since I'm using the 1/2 inch ?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I'm looking to do this job, I've got an 05 with 140k on it, original owner had the car since 17k so i know they are original. Ive got a 1/2 inch Milwaukee impact that has about 650 ft lb torque on the highest setting there are 3 different power modes. Anyone know what power setting I should use? should I use the lowest power setting since I'm using the 1/2 inch ?
Welp I just finished and lemme tell ya, my Milwaukee 1/2” impact didn’t work for shit.
Power 1 and 2 wouldn’t touch em. After soaking and waiting etc I finally got the balls to hit it with power 3. It just unthreaded the housing off the core gently and left the ENTIRE porcelain core. Had to break it off and ram it with the extraction tool then do the EZ out. I stopped using the impact.
Went to a ratchet GENTLY moving it maybe 10 degrees if that. Than more penetrating fluid. Then tighten 5 degrees and repeat. Spent about 10 minutes per plug doing that and got 6 out. Broken 1 with that method too. So went 6/8. Wasn’t horrible. But the impact wasn’t the savior I thought it would be…

MrBhp

Reaction score
If you're going to use the impact you must be patient. Low setting, hammer on, hammer off. At least 5 minutes per plug. Yeah the high setting is just going to break stuff.

GriffX

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. Mine are 60k and not touched since delivery in 2007. Despite I have the same impact as this Loco guy, I will not change them, Lisle tool 65700 in Germany is 50€ from a shady ebay reseller with no box....
Never touch a running system ;)

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Other than Ford, who else used these 2 piece spark plugs ?? Engineering fubar of the decade.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well you know what would prevent all this hassle and broken plugs and extracting shit? Check your plugs regularly. Pull them, inspect them, clean them up and put em back in. I know it's old school but there are a couple of good reasons why. Most importantly for us is they will never get stuck and break. It takes years to build up and bake on the carbon that causes this. I pull mine at least once a year and every time I go to the track. I crack them loose with a ratchet and unscrew them by hand just using the extension. They screw in that easily too and then I just cinch them down a hair. Forgot what the torque spec is but it's not that tight. I lightly clean the center and ground electrodes with some 2000 grit and check the gap. Checking the gap should not be that important but I do it because I side gap my plugs. Anyways this old school maintenance makes a huge difference. I've probably change my plugs about 8-9 times and pulled them at least 2-3 dozen times without a hiccup. The added benefit is that it gives you the opportunity to read your plugs. This is something that you ought to know. You can at least reference a chart. You can learn a few things about how your motor is running without relying on codes and such.

Once you have fresh plugs in pull them regularly and you will never have an issue.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Buying newer one piece plugs and a little anti seize to the threads goes a long way too.

JonathanMCC

Reaction score
Welp I just finished and lemme tell ya, my Milwaukee 1/2” impact didn’t work for shit.
Power 1 and 2 wouldn’t touch em. After soaking and waiting etc I finally got the balls to hit it with power 3. It just unthreaded the housing off the core gently and left the ENTIRE porcelain core. Had to break it off and ram it with the extraction tool then do the EZ out. I stopped using the impact.
Went to a ratchet GENTLY moving it maybe 10 degrees if that. Than more penetrating fluid. Then tighten 5 degrees and repeat. Spent about 10 minutes per plug doing that and got 6 out. Broken 1 with that method too. So went 6/8. Wasn’t horrible. But the impact wasn’t the savior I thought it would be…
Did you ever get the other two out? I had one get stuck so bad I had to pull the head one time...

MrBhp

Reaction score
No antiseize on the threads. That's not what gets stuck. It's the lower barrel that is exposed to cylinder gasses.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I put anti seize on threads and the long collar. Never had an issue and on my second 4.6 3V.

GriffX

Reaction score
What is the latest revision of them? I have SP-514 bought. Looks like they crimped the collar on?

Miker

Reaction score
What is the latest revision of them? I have SP-514 bought. Looks like they crimped the collar on?
I would like to know that too. I researched today for my 2004 5.4 and it looks like the Motorcraft ones are either
SP546 or SP547. It amazes me that it is so difficult to get a solid answer. I would also like to know what the difference is between the two and if they also would work for my 2005 4.6.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would like to know that too. I researched today for my 2004 5.4 and it looks like the Motorcraft ones are either
SP546 or SP547. It amazes me that it is so difficult to get a solid answer. I would also like to know what the difference is between the two and if they also would work for my 2005 4.6.

Just run Brisk or Accel plugs. I don’t like the strap ground electrode design anyways. I think I mentioned it before, I even side gap the regular ground electrode. Those are both one piece plugs. I think Champion makes a one piece too but I wouldn’t run Champions in my lawn mower.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back