13+ GT500 Rear wheel fitment

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
Im Trying To Find Out If The Racestar Direct Drill 17X9.5 Wheel Will Fit The New Larger Rear Brake Rotors I Really Like The Looks Of DarkstarS.

I UpgradeD My Rear Brakes To Th 2013+ Oem Gt500 Rear Rotors Now Trying To Figure This Out.
thanks

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
The 2013 GT500 rear rotors are 13'' in diameter. The Racestars should fit in the rear, it's the front runners that don't clear the 6 pot Brembos, which I don't know if you have those.

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
I Have The Standard oem Brembo GT 14 Inch Up Front And The Ford Dealer Upgraded The Rear To The Oem Gt500 Rotor That's 13.8" Inch Diam So Fronts Are Not A Issue.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I would look at the Weld's over the Racestars. The 17x9.5 Racestar clearance is scary on the rear with the 13/14 GT500 rear brakes.

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had already ordered the darkstars in direct drill before the last post did 17x7 front and 17x9.5 rear i measured before ordering racestar claims no problem with the direct drill wheels. I like the welds too but wish they made the rts in a solid black wheel without the machined / polish lip. My cousin has a fox with the rts with black center and has been having problems with air leaking on on front runner recently found it is leaking between the center piece and the outer piece not a tire leak he is dealing with weld on this now the Weld is a 3 piece wheel. That being said i previously had a set of polished racestars with uni-lug and i hated the wheel install process with uni lug design..

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
Galloping Ford you are right the 17x9.5 racestars are scary fit my Mickeys came in today so i decided to do a test fit looked too tight so pulled wheel found some extra spacers (washers) taped to the lid of box so i guess those are 1/8" spacer washers to place on wheel studs prior to install rear wheel put them on then mounted new test wheel it seems to clear but i haven't mounted the new tires and put full weight on them yet its making me nervous. I'm going to try and get some light around the caliper to see if there's enough clearance i really dont like having the damn spacers (washers between the wheel and hub..
May end up going back to stock rear brakes and sale the 2014 GT500 rear brake kit. Im not a huge road racer.

jojobee

Reaction score
I am in the same boat where i will upgrade my rear brakes to the GT500 and was wondering which Darkstars to get.

From what you're saying the 18x10.5 would be the best choice.

I would like more sidewall but at the sametime i hate the look of the small brakes in the rear.

If i am not mistaking the 18 also do not require the relocation of the swaybar.

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
e5uzyveq.jpg
pu6e2a8e.jpg
e8ezy9y2.jpg
I actually looked at it closer this morning pulled the wheel back off and re mounted with no spacers or washers between the wheel and rotor i torqued the lugs to 88 ft lbs put car in neutral with rear wheels off ground and it turns freely and doesn't rub. But i haven't mounted the tires on the new wheels and tested it under full vehicle weight. I am going to do that first of the week i will let you know the results.
The big rotor fill the 17 inch wheel up and the caliper is tight looking but if it doesn't rub under full weigh & launch i will be happy. I think it's going to work. :)
The 17's don't require sway bar relocate either.

Last edited:

jojobee

Reaction score
Oh men, this is tight.

I would feel a LOT more comfortable with a bit more room, i guess i'll try the 18in.

My car being a manual this really isnt the best choice as i sure will shock the drivetrain a lot more with no slick and less sidewall on a drag radial.

Not sure if your car is an auto but MT website says that these tires the ET 2 are for auto.

I am actually looking at these tires in 305/40/18 or the 555R.

Let me know how you like the ET2.

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
I prefer the 17 over 18 with drag radial and with the direct drill wheel i feel better than if it were the old uni lug style.
My darn rear brakes are almost as big as the wheel..:)

Last edited:

jojobee

Reaction score
I prefer the 17 over 18 with drag radial and with the direct drill wheel i feel better than if it were the old uni lug style.
My darn rear brakes are almost as big as the wheel..:)

If i am not mistaking the GT500 rear brake kits are 13.8in whereas the Steeda rear brake upgrade kit is 13in with slotted rotors.

Maybe the winning combo would be the Steeda brakes and a 17in wheel.

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yes they are 13.8" rotors on 13 & 14 ,Gt500 if not Steeda 13" rear the 2010 - 2012 oem Gt500 are also 13" so either would be more clearance for 17" wheel.
Im not sure of the Steeda caliper style / dimensions vs oem 2010-2012 GT500 rear caliper that could also be a factor.
With 2010 - 2012 oem Gt500 13" rear brakes should be able to run a 15" rear wheel but it will be on the tight side like my 17's with 13.8" you would need sway bar relo's or change to a whiteline rear sway bar or arb if you want either of those upgrades and with 15's you wouldn't need to use sway bar relo's.

Last edited:

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
ma4atu3a.jpg

17's Direct drill fit the big brakes no rub no problem

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back