1Free197's build/question thread

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I am wanting a good 18x10(18x11 seems too extreme right now) set of dedicated track wheels with sticky compounds. I have a good clean daily set I am not wanting to absolutely destroy at the track... so finish and appearance is not too important. Weight, width and most importantly PRICE is my key issue right now.
At almost 40% wider than what your car currently wears, I'm sure that 18x11 probably does sound needlessly huge. But seen from the other direction, either 17x8 or 18x8 is pretty scrawny for a 3500+ lb car being put to fairly serious cornering use. For a Fusion in moderate daily driving only, sure. For a car that you're essentially trying to move up in cornering capability like Chevy did with their SS Camaro to make the 1LE, why not one-up their 1LE playbook (10" front, 11" rears) by squaring yours up at 11?

You mention "too extreme right now", which suggests the possibility of 18x11's later. Especially with these being track-dedicated with maybe just enough street use to get you to and from the track, why not get there in one step?

Norm

Last edited:

1Free197

Clean and Mean
Reaction score
Well post track inspection showed me a few bad tie rod ends...

11696009_10153126358877620_4456898054509555913_n_zpsfztxirlm.jpg

Sooo about to take it to the alignment shop AGAIN... you guys have the numbers you guys use for your alignment settings?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I was running -1.7°, maybe -1.8° with the 255/45-18 Goodyear Asymmetrics. More negative now since tracking with the 285/35-18 Michelin PSS but I don't remember the numbers (ran the adjustments to the ends of the HD strut mount camber slots, might have gained another half degree).

I run the same specs for street, track, and (very rarely these days) autocross.

Norm

Last edited:

1Free197

Clean and Mean
Reaction score
That's pretty common. I wrap mine with heat-reflective tape to make them last longer.

That's very interesting...

I am not a professional and don't pretend to be an expert on anything. So, on that note I will look into it.

I test drove the car yesterday and found it is still making a slight front end noise. It is a LOT better with the new tie rods... I have narrowed it down to the sway bar endlinks (understandable with the mileage on the car, previous track days, and new stresses of new sway and ride-height) or maybe the hubs/wheel bearings...

With the car in the air the wheels no longer have individual play. On the ground I have "tested" the front 2 dampers with the good ol' "apply butt to fender" technique and produced no such knocking or noise. Both struts look in good order and are not leaking. However, rocking the car side to side reveals the noise... more to follow.

Anyone have previous experience before I go ripping the wheels off again?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
The hub bearings are a pretty common failure point, and if you have any significant amount of track-time on them, it may be for the best to just replace them. It's not hard, and they're not that expensive. Get the FRPP ones; those are stock hubs, but with ARP wheel studs pressed in, and are actually cheaper than the dealer price on just the hubs.

1Free197

Clean and Mean
Reaction score
The hub bearings are a pretty common failure point, and if you have any significant amount of track-time on them, it may be for the best to just replace them. It's not hard, and they're not that expensive. Get the FRPP ones; those are stock hubs, but with ARP wheel studs pressed in, and are actually cheaper than the dealer price on just the hubs.

awesome, waiting on the paycheck from uncle sam to come in and I will go ahead and get those ordered.

I am looking at picking up an aftermarket set of sway bar endlinks just to ease my mind... any opinions from you fine folks?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I've had UMI's rod-ended endlinks on my '08 for about 5 years now, and they're still quiet - if about 3, maybe 4 times/year I work a little WD-40 into each joint and wipe off any excess that runs down the link. Couple minutes per side squirting with WD and spinning the link itself with a wrench (it's a hex shape) until it frees up (you'll feel this) is all it takes.

Norm

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I know that a lot of guys that have just posted here have forgotten more than I'll ever know, but FWIW, from a guy who DDs his car and does a few tracks days and autoXs a year, I will also add the Continental Extreme Contact DW are good tires for this purpose. I ran a set for about 20K miles and loved them. Additionally, I just put on a set of BFG Sport Comp 2s (won them at an auto cross competition sponsored by BFGoodrich at Mustang Week last year), and I really like them for a dual purpos tire as well. And one thing that's good about them on the track is that they talk to you, let you know when you are reaching the grip limit. This is great for someone like myself, a fast novice/average intermediate level driver.

Also running asquare 18X10 Forgestar F14 set up and I love it!

And great build so far, OP. I have always loved a yellow S197! :thumb:

Last edited:

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
i've used the UMI's and have recently changed to the Moog End Links found on the 302S and sold thru Watson Racing. I like the lower profile of the Moogs over the UMI's. I found the UMI's to be a miserable SOB to install and remove with the Cortex Offset struts I use still in place. I would almost be wiling to say it's not possible to install them properly with the strut in place but maybe a man with more patience then myself could acomplish the task. FWIW.. I gave up after an hour or two

With that said..... I've got a set of low mileage UMI's I will be parting with in the next few weeks if anyone is interested :wink:

Last edited:

1Free197

Clean and Mean
Reaction score
I've had UMI's rod-ended endlinks on my '08 for about 5 years now, and they're still quiet - if about 3, maybe 4 times/year I work a little WD-40 into each joint and wipe off any excess that runs down the link. Couple minutes per side squirting with WD and spinning the link itself with a wrench (it's a hex shape) until it frees up (you'll feel this) is all it takes.

Norm

Thanks Norm... I am looking at UMI's website and with the amount of praise they have gotten from you guys I will give them a go!!

I know that a lot of guys that have just posted here have forgotten more than I'll ever know, but FWIW, from a guy who DDs his car and does a few tracks days and autoXs a year, I will also add the Continental Extreme Contact DW are good tires for this purpose. I ran a set for about 20K miles and loved them. Additionally, I just put on a set of BFG Sport Comp 2s (won them at an auto cross competition sponsored by BFGoodrich at Mustang Week last year), and I really like them for a dual purpos tire as well. And one thing that's good about them on the track is that they talk to you, let you know when you are reaching the grip limit. This is great for someone like myself, a fast novice/average intermediate level driver.

Also running asquare 18X10 Forgestar F14 set up and I love it!

And great build so far, OP. I have always loved a yellow S197! :thumb:

Thanks man!! Once the noise gets taken care of... next thing is a set of 18x10 f14's on every corner!! :party36:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Additionally, I just put on a set of BFG Sport Comp 2s (won them at an auto cross competition sponsored by BFGoodrich at Mustang Week last year), and I really like them for a dual purpos tire as well. And one thing that's good about them on the track is that they talk to you, let you know when you are reaching the grip limit. This is great for someone like myself, a fast novice/average intermediate level driver.

Have you noticed that the tread blocks get really torn up really fast on those? My set looked pretty ragged after a couple of autocrosses and the first track day. The RE11As have handled track abuse far better for me. Still great tires for the price (won mine at a GoodGuys autocross).

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I have noticed a little bit of wear on the fronts, but not so much on the rears. I do plan on rotating them soon, before my next event. And yes, the BFG Sport Comp 2s are great tires for the money. I may have to try the RE11s when these wear out.

OP, you will love the 18X10 F14s. I got mine in "barely used like new" condition from a fellow forum member here, but FWIW, he originally got them from Jay at Hypermotive. They are forum vendors here. You may want to give them a call when you are ready to purchase. (and sorry, I can't recall the exact offsets, but Jay would know)

1Free197

Clean and Mean
Reaction score
I got the UMI endlinks in... these things are pretty nice! Will post pics after the install... because I am a photo whore

1Free197

Clean and Mean
Reaction score
UMI Endlinks are installed. Sorry no pictures yet. It got late when I got time to dedicate some time to my old girl. However, I installed them and she is so smooth and quiet now. Kudos to you guys at UMI, your parts are solid, and were excellently made. Will definitely sing your praises to other people around here.

Tomorrow is the alignment shop to get it all redone... le sigh

On another positive note, I ordered a set of 18x10's to go on all 4 corners and should be in by the middle of the week!! Hurray!! Now... to find some good tires.

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
LOL @ the edit reason.

Good to read that things are improved. Gotta love it when a problem is solved.

JerryZ

Reaction score
Which 18X10's did you order and why? I want to get a set also, but still haven't settled on any just yet.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back