2006 4.0 ignition shutdown

Richard Demarest

Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks to all the help I'm about to receive. I don't know much about mustangs but I can replace anything that may need it.
The car will stall out at any given time. When the car is back in park, I turn the key and nothing happens at all. Battery is good and connections are good. After waiting a few minutes, the car will start up.
I have 2 keys and both work. I replaced the ignition switch. I thought about replacing the tumbler. Is there an ignition relay that may be bad?
Is there a way to test it?
This has happened 4 or 5 times in the last 3 or 4 weeks. It's my daughter's car so it hasn't happened to me while driving the car.

Richard Demarest

Reaction score
Another symptom is the steering wheel locks up? Im assuming now it's in the steering column.

Anthony Defreitas

Reaction score
You positive the steering wheel locks up? I highly doubt that. Is your daughter explaining that to you. More likely is car stalls out, power steering stops working, and driver is to weak or inexperienced to turn the wheel

Richard Demarest

Reaction score
I replace the ignition switch and the keys. I figured out that the steering wheel probably isn't locking cuz that just doesn't make sense. It's at the shop now getting looked at. They have to drive it until something happens and then they can possibly figure it out from there.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back