2006 GT speaker audio swap and HU help!!!!

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I got this Pioneer Navigation and 4 channel HU Amplifier off a guy locally for real cheap. The navigation can be built into the dash with amplifier that came with it... which is what I plan on doing.

Here are links to what I got:
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/10/20/241/AVIC-F500BT/index.html
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/38/301/ND-G500/index.html

So here come my questions attached with a story. Coming from an Audi with a superior sound system to the s197 with a shaker 500... the sound system in this car has just never been enough for me. I figure I would upgrade the speakers sometime or another.

What I need from you guys is super-duper help in finding out what size all the speakers are in the shaker 500 in my car and is there a sub?

In other words Im wondering if someone can give me links to which size and kind of speakers would replace the factory ones so that I can explore my options and decide which ones to get to go with my new navigation. Also if there are any speakers in the factory system that I can leave alone and only upgrade other ones let me know on that too!

Also if you have recommendations as to which ones I should get please do so. Im looking to upgrade the system to a mid level system... I dont wanna spend a fortune but yet be able to get some good crisp sound.

Will i need to run any new wiring with replacement speakers btw?

Also for the navigation i got does anyone know if i will need anything else to install it? harnesses? faceplate kit? links would be great!

I know im asking alot... but ive never been a audio person so i dont know much but I am up to the task of buying and installing everything myself.

THANKS for you help!!!!!!

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
Well I dont want to get into advice on the speakers and such, because I am tired of that topic, and opinions about sound in S197s are just that... opinions. But I will offer this advice. Check out the info about your unit on avic411.com. There is ALOT of cool stuff you can do with it. Make sure to check into the sections of the forum on how to hack and modify the firmware on it. You can really open that system up, and make it do a lot more then the stock firmware does.

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
Well I dont want to get into advice on the speakers and such, because I am tired of that topic, and opinions about sound in S197s are just that... opinions. But I will offer this advice. Check out the info about your unit on avic411.com. There is ALOT of cool stuff you can do with it. Make sure to check into the sections of the forum on how to hack and modify the firmware on it. You can really open that system up, and make it do a lot more then the stock firmware does.

ok cool.... thanks for that.... I think i got this all figured out anyways.... but again.... any input from someone is much appreciated regardless.

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
I would also advise you to bite the bullet and pay a professional to install this. Our car has built in amps, and other things that make it a tricky install. You would benefit from not hacking it up yourself.

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
I would also advise you to bite the bullet and pay a professional to install this. Our car has built in amps, and other things that make it a tricky install. You would benefit from not hacking it up yourself.

yah i spent the time to figure out exactly what is involved and I think I can tackle the job. The few things I figured out was that you need to buy an extra harness that connects to your new head unit to allow the 8" mid subs work upfront and +5v regulator ( im a little foggy on the +5v regulator though, i dont know where it goes, yet)

you need double din faceplate to make the any new head unit fit obviously.

You need new harness/adaptors to allow connection of new speakers to the stock wiring.

Im not changing out the stock 8" mid subs upfront so that settles that.

As far as my needs go that is pretty much it.... im not doing a subwoofer/amp in the trunk so I don't need to worry about that for the time being.

I researched a lot after posting this thread, LOL.... I think I got it all covered.

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
so anybody else got any input on this matter? has anyone on here actually integrated a pioneer f500bt into there dash by any chance that would have any input for me?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back