speaker/amp upgrade time

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I am replacing the foam in my drivers seat and am going to tackle a few other projects while I'm there. Adding seat heaters in addition to the new foam and covers.

While I have the drivers seat out, it seems easiest to access the stock amp in my Shaker 500 system. I was wanting to replace the stock amp with a similar size unit, replace the door subs and figure replace the 6x8's while I have the panel off. So I have a few questions about each. I don't know a whole ton about stereo stuff, I'm still trying to learn what I can.

I already have an aftermarket head unit installed.

1) 6x8s - a lot have recommended the Kappa 690s I think it was. They don't make them any more. I see a lot of Kappa 86CFX 6x8s, are these similar to those? If not, any other brand you want to recommend?

2) subs - seems 50/50 on the Shelby kicker sub upgrade whether they like it or not. If you put more power to them, will they work better? Someone else on the forum recommended Audiofrog GS8ND2 shallow subs. I can get a set for about the same as the Shelby kickers. Or would the pioneer shallow 8 work? Open to suggestions here as well.

3) amp - this unit is roughly the same size as the shaker 500 amp, and I think I can just mount it in the stock location. Would it be powerful enough to power the aftermarket subs and make it bump? I don't really want to mount amps under the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Audio-HA-A400-1-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B08CHQHP8Q?th=1

I don't want to put a box in the back, I use my trunk a lot. I also fold the seats down and utilize the full length/opening of the trunk space, so I can't block it off with a sub box.

How far can you push the door sub opening in before it interferes with window components? I would like to use the thinnest mounting ring on the inside of the car, or none at all if possible.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Got a killer home setup. Car, don't really care enough anymore I guess. Stock sounds pretty good enough. lol

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
This form is really slow since I restarted coming to this forum.

I'm in the same boat. More questions than answers here.

That amp looks curious. If you get it, message me with your feedback.

What I have to install:
Kicker 6x8
kicker 12" sub
JL 500_1

Questionable needs:
2, 4, or 5 channel amp
8" woofers

I know of 3 websites to order the Shelby kickers from.
Stang-aholics
Shelby America
Lethal Performance

Only one which will take orders is Lethal.
Got an email today that there is no idea when the subs will be back in stock.

I want to keep my factory grills. But the Shelby set-up requires a grill replacement

Therfore I contacted Kicker about their shallow 8's. I was told there was no was to use the factory grills with the kicker speakers. My back-up plan is to order spacers and kicker speaker grills over the Shelby or factory grills.

Still in debate

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I'll let you know how it goes if I purchase that amp. Hopefully it can push them better than the stock unit.

If I can't get the drop-in kicker subs, then I'll probably go with the shallow kickers or pioneers, and hope I can push/modify the door enclosure enough to make them fit.

OEM speaker trim clips in, I don't remember how it works, but it might not be possible to re-use it. Hopefully the supplied rings with the new subs don't look too dumb.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
From what I read? The shelby kit is provided with everything needed to replace the stock 8's.

Random thought: Kicker techies me know RMS on the Shelby set is 200 w. While the other shallow 8's are 300w RMS, with a peak ir 600 w.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Yes, the Shelby kit comes with new rings/covers, but I don't really like the way they look.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
just graduated from car audio to home theater projects. car audio just drowns out the natural sound of the centri blow off valve and exhaust.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
did the home audio stuff years ago, still have it.

I'm at the point on my car where it's about modded out, unless I go FI. Too many other large projects to get into that now though.

I have some bonus cash coming in, so figure I just upgrade the speakers in the car a little bit with some of it.

tabstang

Reaction score
hmmm, not sure that amp will fit, the stock amps (one for each sub) are pretty dang small, like 4 x 5 x 1.5. Check out photos online if you haven't seen one. If you already have an aftermarket head unit, how are driving the subs? This thread explains things fairly well, including a link to a connector that will enable use of the 500 sub with a new head unit: https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/shaker-500-amp-462198/
In my experience, unless the factory speakers are shot they're not worth replacing.

If you're getting a lot of rattles / buzzing it's likely loosely fitted trim, these cars are notorious for that. I chased mine down using a tone generator on my laptop, fed from the laptop headphone output through the s197 accessory input in the glove box. Once you find the rattles, insulate the joint with cloth tape or similar.

Having said that, those flea-bay "nobsound" mini sub amps will surprise you with their output - pretty strong and clean, esp for the price. It's the only amp I know small enough to fit in the factory amps' location. I used one on a 12" box sub in my garage stereo, works great.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
In my experience, unless the factory speakers are shot they're not worth replacing.
Almost opposite from everything I've read about replacing the door subs. Most people that do the Shelby kickers say it sounds a lot better but they need more power.

hmmm, not sure that amp will fit, the stock amps (one for each sub) are pretty dang small, like 4 x 5 x 1.5.
I have a 12, it only has 1 amp for the door subs. I measured the unit and it's about the size of the Harmony Audio one I linked. The HA amp measurements listed at the top of the Amazon page are incorrect, it's actually 8 5/8" long X 6 3/4 wide X 2" thick. This amp might be an inch or so longer, but there looks to be room up there to accommodate it. The stock unit is around 7" wide, about 8" long and almost 2" thick. It was awhile ago I measured it, I'll measure again to get exact.

I have an aftermarket head unit installed, and it really helped out the system a lot. I didn't need anything special to hook it up or make the subs work. They are loud, but sound like shit.

No rattles that I can hear or that bother me, although my exhaust and stereo are rather loud and I'm a bit deaf, lol.

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
That amp looks curious. If you get it, message me with your feedback.

I found a video on youtube that puts a different Harmony amp on an amp dyno. It output more than advertised, so I'm hoping that it's a trait shared by all of their amplifiers.

There's also this amp from CT Sound:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0971MY7T...olid=1RRTM270998ZU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Same person dyno'd this one and it output more than advertised, but it's almost double the cost. It's a couple inches longer than the stock one, will have to double check how much room is above it. Not sure if it's worth the price difference.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
My update. Gonna go ahead and cancel my Shelby Kicker order.
This is the plan"
1) I will install the front/rear 6x8's. See how it sounds

2) Gonna have a shop install the kicker 12 and JL 500/1. I am still not in a ohusical shape where I can do the work myself. Asses the sound

3) Presuming the 6x8s will be over powered? Grab a mini amp 4 channel amp. The Fosgate I was looking at was a 4 -channel. Basic footprint is 7" x 4.5 x 1.5. Installer believes it will mounted perfectly in the driver kick panel..

4) Disconnect the shaker 8's. and re-asses If they are wanted or not.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
My update. Gonna go ahead and cancel my Shelby Kicker order.
This is the plan"
1) I will install the front/rear 6x8's. See how it sounds

Which model kicker 6x8 did you go with? Would love to hear a review on them. Although, I suspect anything aftermarket is better than the OEM speakers

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I did the full Shelby/Kicker upgrade on my 2013. This included four 6x9 speakers, door subs, Kicker powered trunk sub and an amplifier that tucks up nicely under/behind the glove box. Everything was plug and play using the OEM head unit. Very happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I did the full Shelby/Kicker upgrade on my 2013. This included four 6x9 speakers, door subs, Kicker powered trunk sub and an amplifier that tucks up nicely under/behind the glove box. Everything was plug and play using the OEM head unit. Very happy with the results.

I've read about people doing the whole Shelby upgrade and being really pleased wit it. Plug and play is a nice option as well. The price of that amp though.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score

Great to hear.

BUT, in my case?
I have cravings to listen to some old stuff. Never could fit any 12's or 15's in my old truck. I want to bump like I'm 18 again. Listening to some Kid Frost doing Low Rider. This time I want some base in the back.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
I've read about people doing the whole Shelby upgrade and being really pleased wit it. Plug and play is a nice option as well. The price of that amp though.

Unless there are any audiophiles watching this thread...

Yesterday I stopped by a few car audio shops, looking for ideas to solve my 8"dilemma. Some stuff I will install myself. The final amp will be installed by a shop. Created my new plan.

In your case? If you are headed to a shop? Ask them. Have a budget in mind for the parts your thinking about.

If your gonna install yourself? Pick out the speakers you want. If you not sure? Contact (email) the company of the product your looking at and ask questions. That's what I did about the Kicker 8's. If you have the speakers already? Pick the brand of amp your looking for. Contact that company to determine which type of amp/wattage/ohm rating you should go with. After I install the JL 500/1 and the kicker 12? I will be doing the same with my final 2 and/or 4 channel amp.

If I were in your situation?

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah, not the cheapest way to go, but clean and tidy installation. No problems with it since I installed it either.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back