How to Install a 2010-2014 Mustang Steering Wheel into a 2005-2009 Mustang

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I decided to create an in-depth tutorial on how to create the wiring harness and install a 2010-2014 Mustang steering wheel with audio controls into an 2005-2009 Mustang! I know there's been a couple tutorials out there, but this one is supposed to be the "end-all" beginner/advanced tutorial for any level of experience! This ALSO INCLUDES a tutorial for the newer Dynavin radios, such as the N7 Pro or N8 Pro (which I personally have myself.) Thanks guys, and if the link dies or something happens, let me know! I should be able to refresh the link soon after!! :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-pYGuLFhT1mZ_OeV3itvsuV9duPDeI9/view?usp=sharing

Good luck!!

JC SSP

Reaction score
Excellent! Thank you and someone should pin this on the forum.

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
Excellent! Thank you and someone should pin this on the forum.
Thanks so much buddy! I didn’t do this alone, I did use a couple of other tutorials out there! I think we should start revising some of these old tutorials and making them new and better again, I think it’ll benefit the new users tenfold, to be honest. Thank you!

VGMStudios

Reaction score
Good stuff! Personally I prefer the one made by akdoggie since I helped him with it but this one is really good as well. Good job.
FYI You don't need a PAC adapter, even if one installs an aftermarket radio.
I do like that you have info about the Dynavin units.
Did all this like 2 years ago (the Dynavin) and had a 2010 steering wheel installed for 9 years now in my 05-09. This will surely help others.

Last edited:

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
Good stuff! Personally I prefer the one made by akdoggie since I helped him with it but this one is really good as well. Good job.
FYI You don't need a PAC adapter, even if one installs an aftermarket radio.
I do like that you have info about the Dynavin units.
Did all this like 2 years ago (the Dynavin) and had a 2010 steering wheel installed for 9 years now in my 05-09. This will surely help others.
Hm, interesting about not needing the PAC. Every time I’ve watched tutorials on YouTube or read articles, they require a PAC except for the Dynavin head unit (and a few others with similar installation requirements/wiring) Good to know, and thank you!

VGMStudios

Reaction score
You are most welcome.
Before I put in the Dynavin unit, I installed an OEM Nav unit and got everything working. No PAC needed. If you are interested in seeing the guide I used just to compare, lmk and I'll post it.

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
You are most welcome.
Before I put in the Dynavin unit, I installed an OEM Nav unit and got everything working. No PAC needed. If you are interested in seeing the guide I used just to compare, lmk and I'll post it.
Ohh, one of those. I don’t really need a guide, I just figured i’d throw that one in there just in case anyone had some head unit that was weird and needed the PAC, haha. :D

Reaction score
Want to do this project soon, im looking to purchase carbon fiber steering wheel for 2014 and install it into my 06 with dynawin unit. Ive heard i would need the new U bracket that holds airbag and horn assembly right? anyone knows the part number for that?, also i would need the harness wiring that is inside the steering wheel from 2014, since carbon wheels come bare, any one knows the part number for those harnes(es) as well?, thanks!

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
Want to do this project soon, im looking to purchase carbon fiber steering wheel for 2014 and install it into my 06 with dynawin unit. Ive heard i would need the new U bracket that holds airbag and horn assembly right? anyone knows the part number for that?, also i would need the harness wiring that is inside the steering wheel from 2014, since carbon wheels come bare, any one knows the part number for those harnes(es) as well?, thanks!
I don’t know the part number, unfortunately. My horn is having issues (doesn’t work at all), and i’ve been trying to figure out if it’s the u plate you’re mentioning, or something else… tear :(

VGMStudios

Reaction score
I don’t know the part number, unfortunately. My horn is having issues (doesn’t work at all), and i’ve been trying to figure out if it’s the u plate you’re mentioning, or something else… tear :(
Try this.
Take the airbag off. Unscrew the screws to the plate. Remove the plate and make sure the connector to the plate is connected. Place the plate back and push on it making sure the plate touches the metal balls. If the horn sounds it means you tighten the screws to much or it wasn't sitting properly. Happened to me a few times.

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
Try this.
Take the airbag off. Unscrew the screws to the plate. Remove the plate and make sure the connector to the plate is connected. Place the plate back and push on it making sure the plate touches the metal balls. If the horn sounds it means you tighten the screws to much or it wasn't sitting properly. Happened to me a few times.
Gotcha… I haven’t wanted to mess with the airbag with the battery connected. too nervous that something bad’ll happen - aka BOOM! i’ll definitely try that today at some point, sounds like it’ll work.

VGMStudios

Reaction score
Gotcha… I haven’t wanted to mess with the airbag with the battery connected. too nervous that something bad’ll happen - aka BOOM! i’ll definitely try that today at some point, sounds like it’ll work.

That's totally understandable. I guess I don't care cause I have always just disconnected it without unplugging the battery. Lol.
Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
That's totally understandable. I guess I don't care cause I have always just disconnected it without unplugging the battery. Lol.
Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
forgot to update you! it ended up working, guess i had a wire in the way. i plan to make a new post on this forum relatively soon asking some more strange questions and hoping for answers :)

VGMStudios

Reaction score
forgot to update you! it ended up working, guess i had a wire in the way. i plan to make a new post on this forum relatively soon asking some more strange questions and hoping for answers :)
Glad to hear it worked out. As a matter of fact that also happened to me once lol. If I can, I'll try to help. A lot of strange stuff happened to me over the years with my cars so I'm no stranger to finding solutions haha.

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked out. As a matter of fact that also happened to me once lol. If I can, I'll try to help. A lot of strange stuff happened to me over the years with my cars so I'm no stranger to finding solutions haha.
haha. it’s so frustrating, the little issues end up making you look all around at all the possible different problems with the car, yet it’s something right there with your own wiring :rolleyes:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back