Steering wheel upgrade questions

DJGietzen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A couple years back I invested in a 2012 steering wheel and planned to swap it into my 07 GT when I picked up an aftermarket radio. Got some questions.

Any one have a detailed tutorial on doing this? I've seen https://mustangforums.com/forum/200...and-have-fully-functional-audio-controls.html but I'm not going to use a PAC since I have an aftermarket radio. I've also watched and this seems more like what I need to do. 1 problem is that my radio is a Seicane Model:H228G I don't have a wiring diagram that shows both a key1 and key2 wire.

What are the key wires for? I'm just learning all this stuff.

DJGietzen

Reaction score
Here are the wiring diagrams from my radios product page

1-autoradio-gps-bluetooth-navigation-H228G_23.jpg

1-cd-radio-gps-navigation-H228G_24.jpg

datmbn

forum member
Reaction score
This is what I write on an Swedish forum translated with google translate

This summer when I was in the United States, I got a cheap steering wheel with sound buttons for a 2012 so it would be fun to
get it and get started all the buttons.
The steering wheel was quite tired with buttons like flag and some scratch, but after a little left "rim color" and a button representation
https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Steering-Wheel-Button-Repair/dp/B01LWU237A Looked great

Physically, the wheel fits directly and you can use any center you want.
Now over to the electrical connection:
You will need to use the cable from the new dial but the connector from the old + that you need to use an additional 4-wire connector
(a USB connection to computer motherboards fits)
Start by cutting off the connectors (save earth wire + cable shoe to tilt the old connector)
Connect now:
(white-gray), (blue-brown), (green or black-black), (red-red).
You now have 4 wires left, which you probably pull back to the cross and connect to a USB connector
check so you understand better, but I think it's better to connect all 4 cables.
Down to the stereo connectors for then, it works with Orginal stereo.
# J1,16 or J3,4 - blue -
# J1,17 or J3,5 - Yellow +
# J1.18 - Green +
# J1.19 - Purple -
Here is a link to a pdf that investigates this very well
https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=...ustang-2.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0JYF3dyOjDYMrvs58cXh6I
Now I have an android star so it was only to ground the two mini-leaders and connect the other two to key1 and key2 on the stereo.
In summary, the installation was very successful, the "new" wheel is also more comfortable to hold in, slightly thicker and softer.
regards Mats

DJGietzen

Reaction score
Thanks all for the tips.
I spend another 30 bucks withe the after market radio company I ordered from to get a second wiring harness. I'm going to see if I can't figure out what wires are key 1 and 2 and tap into those. Wiring diagram in the manual matches one on a sticker on the head unit - just not sure it matches the actual harness. I'll know more when I remove the sleeve on the new harness.

Radio is in the car for now with the original steering wheel. Just noticed today cruise control is not working. Is that controlled by the canbus? Looks like the radio is set to "no" in the can bus section, I can select a new setting but I don't see ford mustang in the list. Lots of stuff like Mondeo or Focus though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back