2006 V6 Hood Struts - Opinions?

richie9mt

Reaction score
I'd like opinions on which hood strut kit to get. I'm old and feeble, and that 50# hood is a PITA. I've downloaded and looked at videos for Rousch, CDC, MMD, Ford Performance, MRT, and Redline.

I'm leaning towards the MMD strut kit. I'd like to hear opinions on any of the above that you may have fitted, as well as any I've missed.

Thank you for your help!

JimC

Reaction score
I had the MRT on my 2006, 2013, and my 2017 and was pleased with them. On the 2019 though I went with RedLine because I liked the way they fit.

totaljustice

Reaction score
I've had the MMD since 2013 and was very happy with them until 2 years later when the struts lost their pressure and wouldn't hold the hood up anymore. The problem arose when I wanted to buy just new struts buy they don't make replacement struts an option and you would have to buy a whole new kit from MMD. There were no markings on the MMD struts so I had to do some experimentation and got a couple of 56 lb struts from the local hardware store. Trying to find the right length is a PIA but I found some the worked eventually. Just something to consider when the struts eventually wear out.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
replacement struts can be had on amazon, for super cheap. Didn't have a problem finding the length, but had to try at least 2 different strength struts, the first were way too strong.

13" extended
8.4" compressed
according to amazon, the ones I got were 100lb struts, hood doesn't bow or anything. They're $21

totaljustice

Reaction score
replacement struts can be had on amazon, for super cheap. Didn't have a problem finding the length, but had to try at least 2 different strength struts, the first were way too strong.

13" extended
8.4" compressed
according to amazon, the ones I got were 100lb struts, hood doesn't bow or anything. They're $21

I find that with the 56 lb ones that I'm using now, they will hold up the hood unless we get really strong wind and they won't lift the hood unassisted like the originals. But I think I'll try heavier lift ones now that you answered my question!

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
the 100lb ones will lift it and hold it for sure. They might be a little too much as I hold onto my hood as it goes up because they lift it QUICKLY now, lol. It was about 2 years ago but I think I tried the 50ish # range first and then these. Something in the middle of that might be the sweet spot. The cool thing about amazon is, just return it if it doesn't work out for you.

bought these Jan '21 and they're still holding the hood up good and strong - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLZX5FS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

richie9mt

Reaction score
OK, here's my rundown on the six kits I was able to find YouTube videos for. This is only my personal preferences, which basically means I want something compact and OEM-looking.

Roush - Ugly bracket cut-outs, nice short struts
CDC - Carbon fiber brackets, nice short struts
MMD - Nice OEM-looking brackets, medium length struts
Ford Perf- Nice 'OEM' brackets, laser engraved logos
MAT - Ugly slotted brackets, nice short struts
Redline - 'plug bolt' upper attach, long struts

This short list reflects my own preferences. None of the videos I viewed had any advice on hood adjustment; I'm sure that it will need adjusting as none of the videos show a method to return the hood to its original placement.

I still think the MMD kit is my own best choice, maybe buy a couple of those Ebay struts and shelve them for the day the originals leakdown.

I'm not aware of any others for my '06 4.0 V6 S197. Mention of any others is appreciated!

Thanks for your comments gentlemen!

richie9mt

Reaction score

Mailman

forum member
Reaction score
And you wonder why this is far and away the lamest car forum on the internet.
Oh, I just put a set of Redlines on and they work great.

Mailman

forum member
Reaction score
Easy install, they work as advertised, and they really open up the engine bay without that stupid rod in the way. Got them through Amazon with C-card rewards. Nice!IMG_20231027_162428.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back