2011 TSB Thread

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This thread makes me sick to my stomach. Here is a "for instance"...my car has an agressive 93 Lund cam tune, and a lethal O/R X.....If the car took a dump, and I put every stock part back on and returned the tune to stock, Would someone mind telling me how the fuck the dealership would know if something was modified? I'd just tell them that I let it sit with the battery disconnected....It's the same P1000 code right?! I'd even go and pick up new exhaust hardware for the X pipe....

Is this just a case of morons not willing to spend a few hours returning their cars to stock before they stroll into the dealer??

Second question, has anyone seen any longevity issues with Lund's "Cam" tune?

The ECU might have a checksum feature or something similar that would indicate to Ford that additional tunes have been loaded onto it. There is a discussion on another thread about this.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
This thread makes me sick to my stomach. Here is a "for instance"...my car has an agressive 93 Lund cam tune, and a lethal O/R X.....If the car took a dump, and I put every stock part back on and returned the tune to stock, Would someone mind telling me how the fuck the dealership would know if something was modified? I'd just tell them that I let it sit with the battery disconnected....It's the same P1000 code right?! I'd even go and pick up new exhaust hardware for the X pipe....

Is this just a case of morons not willing to spend a few hours returning their cars to stock before they stroll into the dealer??

No, its just a case of you not being aware of what Ford has access to. Once you do some more reading, I'm sure your really be sick to your stomach since the mods you've already done to your car are grounds for them to void your warranty should something go boom. It sucks.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
11-7-8
  • GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/1/2011

Attachments

• tsb11-07-08.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 122

five0three

forum member
Reaction score

the dealership has a right to know if the car that took a dump had non ford aftermarket parts installed. you people need to read your warranty. i get so tired of shady people whining about getting caught in a lie. you have to pay to play. Ford has the right to determine if your modifications damaged the vehicle.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

other than the sub par city mileage which is expected since mine is attached to an aggressive tune. No issues here.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
Found this little article...Very interesting...Light at end of tunnel!
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...-2011-mustang/

When Ford issues a TSB, it’s usually to correct an existing problem or defect with a car. For example, up until now Ford has issued three Technical Service Bulletins for the 2011+ Mustang to correct problems with the clutch, fuel pump and cold shifting. The latest TSB, however, is curiously different. It addresses the fact that “some 2011 F-150 and 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with the 5.0L engine may have unauthorized modifications to the powertrain hardware and/or calibration which may result in exceeding component design limits. Such modifications could cause damage to the powertrain and/or void the factory powertrain warranty.” In addition, ford says that “attempting to increase the engine output via recalibrating the PCM may result in poor drivability, DTCs, or component failures.”
A Ford representative, when asked about the TSB, told us that “customization is a big part of the Mustang ownership experience. This [TSB] is designed to alert people to the possible damage and warranty ‘voiding’ one can incur if they modify their vehicles beyond factory specifications.”
Ford has told service technicians to “inform owners that the current 5.0L calibrations adjust fuel and spark settings for maximum performance with production hardware, while protecting the engine over a wide range of operating conditions. This includes a knock sensor calibration enabling optimized performance based on fuel grade usage – see Owner’s guide for details. Aftermarket hardware and calibrations risk damage to the engine.”
In addition, Ford technicians are advised to look for excessive cylinder pressure and temperature (piston damage, spark over-advanced, insufficient enrichment and catalyst damage), increased RPM limit (piston damage, connecting rod damage, oil pump damage, catalyst damage and clutch damage), and knock sensor calibration changes (piston and/or ring damage due to improper knock control). Technicians are also advised to look for common aftermarket parts including intake systems, superchargers, nitrous systems, throttle bodies and exhaust systems.

So what does this mean for owners of 2011+ Mustangs? First off, know that Ford can’t automatically void your warranty due to aftermarket modifications. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that it must be proven that an aftermarket part directly caused a failure to original equipment parts to void a warranty.
However, if you are going to modify your car, whether a simple tune, exhaust system or a supercharger, know that not all aftermarket parts and products are produced with the same quality. Increasing horsepower and torque can be done safely, but it can also be done in a way that harms the engine’s internal components. If an aftermarket tune causes an engine to run lean or if excess boost from a supercharger breaks a connecting rod, then Ford can legally void a powertrian warranty.
The lesson? Modify with care, and make sure to do your research before you buy aftermarket parts. Make sure to read the fine print. Some aftermarket parts are designed to exceed the limits of the factory parts and require additional components to handle the increased performance. Overall, aftermarket products designed and produced correctly will safely provide increased performance for your Mustang without damaging the factory components and will not void your warranty.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Found this little article...Very interesting...Light at end of tunnel!
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...-2011-mustang/

When Ford issues a TSB, it’s usually to correct an existing problem or defect with a car. For example, up until now Ford has issued three Technical Service Bulletins for the 2011+ Mustang to correct problems with the clutch, fuel pump and cold shifting. The latest TSB, however, is curiously different. It addresses the fact that “some 2011 F-150 and 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with the 5.0L engine may have unauthorized modifications to the powertrain hardware and/or calibration which may result in exceeding component design limits. Such modifications could cause damage to the powertrain and/or void the factory powertrain warranty.” In addition, ford says that “attempting to increase the engine output via recalibrating the PCM may result in poor drivability, DTCs, or component failures.”
A Ford representative, when asked about the TSB, told us that “customization is a big part of the Mustang ownership experience. This [TSB] is designed to alert people to the possible damage and warranty ‘voiding’ one can incur if they modify their vehicles beyond factory specifications.”
Ford has told service technicians to “inform owners that the current 5.0L calibrations adjust fuel and spark settings for maximum performance with production hardware, while protecting the engine over a wide range of operating conditions. This includes a knock sensor calibration enabling optimized performance based on fuel grade usage – see Owner’s guide for details. Aftermarket hardware and calibrations risk damage to the engine.”
In addition, Ford technicians are advised to look for excessive cylinder pressure and temperature (piston damage, spark over-advanced, insufficient enrichment and catalyst damage), increased RPM limit (piston damage, connecting rod damage, oil pump damage, catalyst damage and clutch damage), and knock sensor calibration changes (piston and/or ring damage due to improper knock control). Technicians are also advised to look for common aftermarket parts including intake systems, superchargers, nitrous systems, throttle bodies and exhaust systems.

So what does this mean for owners of 2011+ Mustangs? First off, know that Ford can’t automatically void your warranty due to aftermarket modifications. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that it must be proven that an aftermarket part directly caused a failure to original equipment parts to void a warranty.
However, if you are going to modify your car, whether a simple tune, exhaust system or a supercharger, know that not all aftermarket parts and products are produced with the same quality. Increasing horsepower and torque can be done safely, but it can also be done in a way that harms the engine’s internal components. If an aftermarket tune causes an engine to run lean or if excess boost from a supercharger breaks a connecting rod, then Ford can legally void a powertrian warranty.
The lesson? Modify with care, and make sure to do your research before you buy aftermarket parts. Make sure to read the fine print. Some aftermarket parts are designed to exceed the limits of the factory parts and require additional components to handle the increased performance. Overall, aftermarket products designed and produced correctly will safely provide increased performance for your Mustang without damaging the factory components and will not void your warranty.

Where's the light?

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
11-7-8
  • GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/1/2011

I have this issue. Nice to see a TSB about it. Think there will be any warranty issues with aftermarket wheels and NO suspension mods?

Reaction score
I love how you trogs go on about spouting the magnuson-moss warranty act. If you go to court with a popped engine with a cylinder displaying the current physical affects such as listed with an aftermarket program loaded into the ECU it is clear cut and dry. The proof is right there. Sorry, CSI crime scene investigation will not pop out of the corner and start examining everything with a white glove. Not only that, the act passed in 1975 is not solely there to help you mod your mustang care-free. It was enacted to ensure warranters acted within a certain set of guidelines, it just happens one of those guidelines falls within this category.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of the cop-out type rejects who say durp durp got to play to play, either...

I'm like switzerland in this, but a little bit more of a dickhead about it.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I have this issue. Nice to see a TSB about it. Think there will be any warranty issues with aftermarket wheels and NO suspension mods?

Same here. I've noticed it a few times. I'll get around to taking it in one of these days. I've also had the OneTouch eff up a couple times and not actually start. No big deal, but I should go get it fixed too.

JerryC

Reaction score
Same here. I've noticed it a few times. I'll get around to taking it in one of these days. I've also had the OneTouch eff up a couple times and not actually start. No big deal, but I should go get it fixed too.

and me makes three, only occaisionally though and usually when backing out of a driveway.

My car was made 3/10, I may end up having a lot TSB's done...

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
and me makes three, only occaisionally though and usually when backing out of a driveway.

My car was made 3/10, I may end up having a lot TSB's done...

So there are March cars, thanks. I didn't think they had any until April.

JerryC

Reaction score
So there are March cars, thanks. I didn't think they had any until April.

Yeah I bought it middle of June and the dealer had just got it in the day before, 6/15 i think. I wonder where it was all that time. We bought my wifes GT the same day and they had it trasnferred from another day the next day and it was made 6/10 so it got there quick.

sterlinggray11gt

Reaction score
5.0L—PISTON RATTLE IN COLD AMBIENT TSB 11-7-4
TEMPERATURES BELOW 10 DEGREES CELSIUS (50
DEGREES FAHRENHEIT)—BUILT ON OR AFTER
8/17/2010
FORD:
2011 Mustang
ISSUE WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
Some 2011 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L New Vehicle Limited
engine and built on or after 8/17/2010 may exhibit a Warranty Coverage
piston rattle noise in cold ambient temperatures of IMPORTANT: Warranty
10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit) and coverage limits/policies are
below. The noise normally occurs in the 2000-3500 not altered by a TSB.
RPM range and will decrease as engine Warranty coverage limits
temperature warms up. An update of the powertrain are determined by the
control module (PCM) calibration to reduce intensity identified causal part.
and duration of the noise is now available.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
ACTION 110704A 2011 Mustang: Reprogram 0.3 Hr.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using The PCM (Do Not Use
IDS release 73.04 or later. This new calibration is With Any Other Labor
not included in the VCM 2011.5 DVD. Calibration Operations)
files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com. DEALER CODING
CONDITION
NOTE BASIC PART NO. CODE
PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS RECAL 04
VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE
TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH
ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN
THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS
AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE
ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE
COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING
PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY
RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS
AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine
Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available
through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright ã 2011 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date July 1, 2011 PAGE

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
5.0L—PISTON RATTLE IN COLD AMBIENT TSB 11-7-4
TEMPERATURES BELOW 10 DEGREES CELSIUS (50
DEGREES FAHRENHEIT)—BUILT ON OR AFTER
8/17/2010
FORD:
2011 Mustang
ISSUE WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
Some 2011 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L New Vehicle Limited
engine and built on or after 8/17/2010 may exhibit a Warranty Coverage
piston rattle noise in cold ambient temperatures of IMPORTANT: Warranty
10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit) and coverage limits/policies are
below. The noise normally occurs in the 2000-3500 not altered by a TSB.
RPM range and will decrease as engine Warranty coverage limits
temperature warms up. An update of the powertrain are determined by the
control module (PCM) calibration to reduce intensity identified causal part.
and duration of the noise is now available.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
ACTION 110704A 2011 Mustang: Reprogram 0.3 Hr.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using The PCM (Do Not Use
IDS release 73.04 or later. This new calibration is With Any Other Labor
not included in the VCM 2011.5 DVD. Calibration Operations)
files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com. DEALER CODING
CONDITION
NOTE BASIC PART NO. CODE
PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS RECAL 04
VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE
TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH
ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN
THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS
AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE
ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE
COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING
PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY
RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS
AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine
Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available
through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright ã 2011 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date July 1, 2011 PAGE

Why are you posting something that's already been posted?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
TSB 11-8-4 6r80 transmissions - fluid leak from bell housing - built on or after 4/15/2011 through 6/8/2011

Attachments

• tsb11-08-04.pdf
    399.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back