2012 GT steering "grinding" after lowering?

Mikey383

Reaction score
I lowered my Mustang 1.5" about a week ago, and since then I've noticed the steering seems to make a grinding sound above 10mph when turning toward the right, and in reverse when turning the wheel to the left. If I turn the wheel either direction while standing still, I get no noise.

I have new strut mounts with stock struts, so I know the strut mounts shouldn't be the issue. I haven't taken it in for an alignment yet, waiting until after the holidays for that.

Any ideas? I couldn't seem to find anything on a search. It almost sounds like a bad power steering pump, but that obviously can't be the problem.

Mikey383

Reaction score
I may have found the culprit. I had to dimple the headers to clear the steering shaft when I installed them, and I'm thinking I didn't dimple them enough. A little mark with a paint marker shows that the headers are rubbing a bit. I probably just didnt notice the problem until the car was lowered.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I may have found the culprit. I had to dimple the headers to clear the steering shaft when I installed them, and I'm thinking I didn't dimple them enough. A little mark with a paint marker shows that the headers are rubbing a bit. I probably just didnt notice the problem until the car was lowered.
Had same issue

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back