2013 GT500 engine tick. Need some help!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Mines going into the shop next week for a mysterious burning/heat smell when I turn off the car. I'm going to get them to document the ticking just to cover myself.

Please do post back if you find anything out. I'm going to take mine in next week as well, just to be sure.

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
I am noticing if I rev the motor it drops back to 900 Rpm, then bumps up 200 rpm and settles back to 900. Anyone else having this?

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tune maybe? I have a hanging idle when using the AC at times. Throttle body and intake clean?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I am noticing if I rev the motor it drops back to 900 Rpm, then bumps up 200 rpm and settles back to 900. Anyone else having this?

My idle is the same way. It bounces around quite a bit.

Went to the track today for the first time. Car ran horribly. Air/fuel was at 10.0 making 12 lbs of boost. At around 5,000 RPM the car would just completely fall on its face, as if it just hits a wall. Not really sure what the deal is.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Took the car to the local Ford dealer this morning. Will post any updates for those wondering what it could be, or if it's normal.

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
Found out the smell is coming from over axle pipes. Somehow a piece of plastic melted to them. Scheduling the car to see ford next week.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
For those wondering, heard back from Ford today about the ticking and also about the 5,000 rpm cut off. They claim the tick is the driver side header gasket is leaking. They checked all the bolts and all are tight, so the gasket is the culprit. The 5,000 RPM cut off is due to an aftermarket tune that is still on the car.
Cost to fix the leaky gasket=$1500. Guess I'll get to it this weekend.

Anyone have stock manifolds laying around I can throw on there instead?

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
Mine is with ford at the moment for the tick so I am hoping a leak in the exhaust somewhere also. They wanted to charge $1500 to change a header gasket?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is with ford at the moment for the tick so I am hoping a leak in the exhaust somewhere also. They wanted to charge $1500 to change a header gasket?

Yup. Looks like I'm going to be changing it out myself tomorrow. Not exactly looking forward to it, but beats spending that kind of money.
I'm curious to hear what your dealership says.

Last edited:

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the tick remains after changing out the gasket. Good luck, hope it goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the tick remains after changing out the gasket. Good luck, hope it goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree. I decided to look more closely. There is literally no signs of an exhaust leak at the header. It's just not it. I've put a stethoscope and listened, still leads me to the flywheel. On another note:
These are the catalytic converters, one side compared to the other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 10
  • imagecat.jpg
    imagecat.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I see a catalyst matrix, then I click for a larger version and I see a pipe with nothing in it.

Edit: now I see two of the same photos in two posts.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock or aftermarket cats? ONly time I've seen that is with the cheat ass cats Bassani uses...

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
Been 2 days at the dealership, still no word. I am pretty sure they it still hasn't been looked at yet.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back