2015 due to drop a minimum of 400lbs?

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I would assume so. probobly not the same, but similar. as in not a stripped down racer.

(just my assumptions)

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would assume so. probobly not the same, but similar. as in not a stripped down racer.

(just my assumptions)

The Boss isn't stripped down... the LS version is a bit but not the base version.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I just want a bored and stroked 5.8 in my current car with the current Procharger setup!:highfive:
Can't you do that with the 5.4 out of an F0150?
I don't know how strong this info is but I have heard that there will be no more GT500. one year after the new model they are going to release a GT350 and it will be NA, high revving and nimble in nature, not the sledgehammer the GT500 is.

I talked to a guy at Shelby a few days ago (looking for a 427). He said that the GT500 is being dropped by Ford and they are building a GT350. He described it in pretty good detail as to what they are planing. Shelby is already building the GT350 on the 13/14 platform and Ford is going to introduce it into their regular lineup for the 15's.
I guess this what we kept on hearing when the reports came out that Ford extended their contract to use the Shelby name. I guess this is one of the SVT products that gmitch was talking about. Maybe it will be competing against the Z/28. I mean the original 65 GT350 was pretty much a stripped down road racing car so I guess this is For's response to the Z/28
The Boss isn't stripped down... the LS version is a bit but not the base version.
I wouldn't even consider the Laguna Seca stripped down as the only weight saving difference that I am aware of is the rear seat delete. I guess you can say that by having the Recaros standard instead of as an option on the regular Boss 302 that this counts as stripped also, but I wouldn't go that far.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I mean, If a Viper engine can be made to fit in a S2000 engine bay...

can be modified to fit, and fits a production chassis are two different things.

Cost benefits analysis says, not a good idea to modify a production chassis to shoe horn an old motor past it's life cycle.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Putting a 5.4/5.8 DOHC motor into the next chassis just doesn't make a lot of sense. The motor, even if they added the TiVCT and DI isn't going to give them the mileage they are going to need as the platform moves forward. You also have a LOT of width to account for in the engine bay that simply won't be needed with the newer and smaller platforms. I think you'll see a DI 5.0 TT motor in the next Halo Mustang. It won't have to be 600+hp because of the weight drop that it seems like we are going to be getting on at least the special edition Mustangs. I am going to bet on 600 tops as that will give enough of a difference in performance between what is probably going to be a 450hp 5.0 DI in the GT and you'll probably see around 350 in the 2.0/2.3 EB and 380-400 in a 3.5EB (if that motor finds its way into the Mustang)

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Putting a 5.4/5.8 DOHC motor into the next chassis just doesn't make a lot of sense. The motor, even if they added the TiVCT and DI isn't going to give them the mileage they are going to need as the platform moves forward. You also have a LOT of width to account for in the engine bay that simply won't be needed with the newer and smaller platforms. I think you'll see a DI 5.0 TT motor in the next Halo Mustang. It won't have to be 600+hp because of the weight drop that it seems like we are going to be getting on at least the special edition Mustangs. I am going to bet on 600 tops as that will give enough of a difference in performance between what is probably going to be a 450hp 5.0 DI in the GT and you'll probably see around 350 in the 2.0/2.3 EB and 380-400 in a 3.5EB (if that motor finds its way into the Mustang)

I see your point but I feel if they use a DI 5.0 TT it will go 700hp. Too many rumors about the next gen ZR1 having 700+hp, and the new R36 GTR will also be near 700hp. Even with the weight drop, I feel Ford will still up the HP since their competition is following the same formula.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I still love the fact we are in the new muscle car era.

My question is, how strong will the new rearend be?

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I see your point but I feel if they use a DI 5.0 TT it will go 700hp. Too many rumors about the next gen ZR1 having 700+hp, and the new R36 GTR will also be near 700hp. Even with the weight drop, I feel Ford will still up the HP since their competition is following the same formula.
I suppose that all depends on whether Ford is going to raise the highest tier Mustang into a Halo car. The last Halo car that Ford has had, is still the Ford GT IMO. The Mustang hasn't had the performance to be a Halo car yet. The 2013 certainly has the straight line power, but it is simply has been too heavy to keep up in the corners with other cars like are mentioned above.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I suppose that all depends on whether Ford is going to raise the highest tier Mustang into a Halo car. The last Halo car that Ford has had, is still the Ford GT IMO. The Mustang hasn't had the performance to be a Halo car yet. The 2013 certainly has the straight line power, but it is simply has been too heavy to keep up in the corners with other cars like are mentioned above.

Yes, you are right, but if Ford brought the power down from where it is now, it won't even compete with those cars straight line like it kind've does now. Remember, SVT set the benchmark for the 2013 GT500 to be the 2006 Ford GT and they did it.

Current break down of best times:

2013 Nissan GT-R has run an absolute best 1/4 of 10.7 stock
2013 Corvette has run an 11.8, Z06 10.9, ZR1 10.3
2013 GT500 11.5

If Ford wants to stay in the ball game with those two cars dropping weight and picking up HP in their next gens, Ford still has to do the same. Especially since they are building the Mustang with better quality, better materials and making it a car to appeal to world markets.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
If ford wasn't so stingy when it comes to the width of their rear wheels and tires, much of that gab would be taken up already!! 285 goodyear vs 630ftlb of torque, give me a break! Put 335's under the GT500 and it would be a lot closer to Corvette times than it is.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the boss was stripped down from the factory to make it lighter. oh well.

as far as the 5.4/5.8 in the new chassis I doubt it also. the 5.4/5.8 motors with 4v heads are very wide. and whatever they do has to rack easily on the assembly line. if they want to make the new car thinner there goes space and if they want to make the tires wider the fenderwells will have to be bigger. dropping a huge engine in a small car in your garage is not like doing it on an assembly line. then factor in gas milage and production cost being mod motors with 4v heads aren't used in anything any more.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the boss was stripped down from the factory to make it lighter. oh well.

as far as the 5.4/5.8 in the new chassis I doubt it also. the 5.4/5.8 motors with 4v heads are very wide. and whatever they do has to rack easily on the assembly line. if they want to make the new car thinner there goes space and if they want to make the tires wider the fenderwells will have to be bigger. dropping a huge engine in a small car in your garage is not like doing it on an assembly line. then factor in gas milage and production cost being mod motors with 4v heads aren't used in anything any more.

ding ding, all comes down to costs. An engineer can design something beautiful but leave it to the accountant to come in and ruin it due to cost savings.

It is widely known Mustangs can have BMW/Audi like interiors for only a few hundred dollars at manufacturer costs. But the MBA Exec basically steps in, goes to the change control committee and says "Hey, look, I can save us $200 across 100,000 units and save the company $20,000,000 throughout the program." Multiply that by a few other corner cutting measures and this is how a car is made.

They basically have to justify the increased cost to make it an included option. In that case a lot of manufacturers need to make about a 1000% profit, I doubt people will pay that for their Mustangs to have a swanky interior, heck the cars are already getting over $40,000 with a GT and options.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
to put cost cutting and profits into perspective, when I used to work for GM in 99-01 we made the jimmys, s10, blazers, and sonomas. the cost for GM to biuld a fully decked out, fully optioned, maxed everything 4wd ZR2 leather blah blah blah blazer was about $3800 to build. that is the cost factoring in parts, worker wages, utilities of the plant, ect. ect.

that $3800 truck gets to the dealer lot and goes for almost 30k

Ray721

Black 06 GT
Reaction score
to put cost cutting and profits into perspective, when I used to work for GM in 99-01 we made the jimmys, s10, blazers, and sonomas. the cost for GM to biuld a fully decked out, fully optioned, maxed everything 4wd ZR2 leather blah blah blah blazer was about $3800 to build. that is the cost factoring in parts, worker wages, utilities of the plant, ect. ect.

The labour to put that truck together cost more than the parts! lol

Or is it $3800 all in?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
The labour to put that truck together cost more than the parts! lol

Or is it $3800 all in?

That $3800 is only level 1 and 2 g & a costs.

It doesn't include level 3 and 4, which is management, and support.

05yellowgt

Reaction score

Where exactly did you work?

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
thats for parts, labor, materials, and cost of running the plant. also that was per truck assuming all options.

remember these are mass produced. about 48-52 per hour and as high as high as 54-56 trucks per hour. in a plant that runs 24 hours and weekends when nessecary and only stops for breaks (or brakes LOL) and shift change.

also rember how GM loves to parts share among different cars. so even though it may cost you several hundred to replace the shocks on said maxed out blazer, GM does them by the multi millions over the course of the chassis run of several different trucks.

and also take into account this was 10 years ago.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Where exactly did you work?

Linden NJ

my dad was there for like 37 years thats how I got in. but then big layoffs came and I was on the bottom of the totem pole so I just decided to move on.

Back