2018 to s197 intake swap

Alyx Ivanoff

Reaction score
How many on here done this swap? Does anyone know if a tune is 100% necessary when swapping an 18 manifold to a 14? Does the 14 throttle body work on the 18 manifold? I’ve also heard that there are changes that need to be made to the harness and that you need to use different vacuum lines.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
Don't know the answers to your questions, but why would you want to do this when there are better options for the 11-14?

Alyx Ivanoff

Reaction score
Are there better options? I’m not sold on the boss or Holley intakes. Peak power at 7000rpm as well as loss in torque doesn’t sound good. The 18 manifold seems to make better torque as well as decent peak hp.

travelers

Reaction score
You do know the 18 manifold has the same charge motion control plates like the 4.6. The 11-14 has no way to control them in the pcm so they have to be locked out. There is a couple Youtube videos on this subject.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
There's a ton of info on this swap on Facebook.
Lots of people have done it, it seems to be the holy grail on intake manifolds unless you can (or want to) spend $1k+ for the CobraJet.
To do the swap you will need the MMR lockouts for the IMRC, and you will most definitely need a tune.
Also, whoever you buy it from, make sure they package it well.
The standard packaging they come in isn't meant to be handled by United Parcel Smashers (UPS), and most of them end up damaged.

Alyx Ivanoff

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about shipping. That’s gotta suck seeing your intake show up in pieces!

I’m regards to the imrc’s i plan on going with the mmr lockouts but I have seen multiple people is a window switch to control them

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother. Just lock them out and move on with your life

Alyx Ivanoff

Reaction score
Yeah that was never my plan. I just thought that’s pretty neat that guys are being that creative with it.

Is there a tuner that anyone recommends? I hear lots about Lund and the nGauge. I’m nit familiar with them though.

Oh and a quick thanks to every one that has taken the time to post in my thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yeah that was never my plan. I just thought that’s pretty neat that guys are being that creative with it.

Is there a tuner that anyone recommends? I hear lots about Lund and the nGauge. I’m nit familiar with them though.

I had respect for Lund before they hired "Yolo Douchebag" to work there and tune for them.
No way in hell would I do any business with them now.
I also don't care for AED or Brenspeed.

Ideally you want a local tune from a reputable shop that's done these manifolds already and has a good rep.
If you can't find a local company, I'd contact Power By The Hour / Rob Shoemaker, maybe JDM or VMP (but I guess VMP is going through some issues right now, taking forever with tunes).

Alyx Ivanoff

Reaction score
That’s good to know. I’ve heard good things about jdm. They tuned my buddy’s lightning and he loves it

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
HA! Who is "Yolo Douchebag"? That's funny BTW

Alejandro Flores.
Started out making funny videos as #YOLO Douchebag .... the videos quickly got crappy, then after saying he'd never sell out he sold out to UPR after they gave him some free product, then he started working for Lund, then started tickling VMP's balls, worked there a while, now he's back at Lund.
So he's a whore that has a following, some people still think he's funny.
I can't stand the dude.

Alyx Ivanoff

Reaction score
Yeah you know I could see how he could rub someone the wrong way haha

I don’t suppose anyone has a good lead on where to purchase the manifolds from

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
moving to chat as the discussion is not tech

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Didn’t Alejandro Florez used to work for American Muscle?

Ive seen his videos on youtube showing off his coyote and t56 swap like its gold. His videos are just annoying.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video of a guy using a MSD window controller to make the motion plates work on a 11-14. Set it for an "X" RPM and got vacuum line onto it, got RPM reading from coil pack I believe then showed once hit that RPM the motion plates open and close.

I don't think it's worth all that time and money but am also not trying to squeeze every NA horsepower out of the 5.0 either.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
In the Powersports world and even on the 3 valve the “secondaries” are one of the first things to go, I can’t imagine the effort to add a window switch will be worth the layout in cash or time.
They are an obstruction of airflow no matter how you slice it. If you want more plenum volume you are going to lose velocity. There is no way to offset this.
So the thing to do is add gear to the car and if it’s an auto a little stall to the converter.
It seems minor but with every shift of the the power curve towards peak you will have to compensate in order to maintain drivability in the eyes of the average driver.
Or if it’s a stick car you’re just gonna have to learn to be a little more aggressive off the line if you don’t feel like adding gear.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back