3V into a retired NASCAR, what tuner do I need?

earlbrown

Reaction score
I just got an 06 manual GT to use as a donor car. It's smashed up, but still runs and drives.

While it still runs, I want to flash the computer with a new tune and turn off a bunch of stuff.

I need to turn off PATS, kill the rear O2s, and turn off anything that has nothing to do with running like A/C, EGR (if it has that), etc.

I need to be able to change the tune as well since it's going to have long tube headers, custom intake, and I'm most likely going to lock the cams or at least limit them.

I'm thinking I need a Special Forces unit, but I hate that I can only use it on one car without paying an additional $100. Seems like all the tuners are like that though.

Basically, I'm harvesting the computer/engine/trans and it's going into a retired NECKCAR that I'm putting on the street. I don't care about the dash working, or any thing like that. I just need it to run the engine and fuel pump.

I'm eager to get this thing apart, but I want to flash the computer and see it work before I pull everything and do the wire diet.

Oh yeah, does my 06 have a return system or a returnless system?

IMG_20190401_163444.jpg IMG_20190317_194906.jpg IMG_20190317_194857.jpg

And if anybody in West GA/East Al needs some parts, let me know. The drivetrain is spoken for but I'd rather see everything else keep cars on the road not end up in the crusher.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to do that when there are 100's of good, strong, nascar style motors readily available that will bolt right in and wire right up?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Returnless

you're looking for the hardware & software to tune it yourself?

earlbrown

Reaction score
Why do you want to do that when there are 100's of good, strong, nascar style motors readily available that will bolt right in and wire right up?

There are. I already have 4 460s, a 351W, and a set of Cleveland heads if I want to make a clevor...

The problem is the transmission. With 12" slicks and a locker my main hobby will be busting T5's and riding on wreckers unless I spend $10,000 on a tranny (with no overdrive) for a used race car unit.

Even as an automotive machinist and engine builder, I can't build one of my carbed engines for what I have in this entire donor car.

And I can't put a carb on this 3V for less than I can make the FI work.

With the mod enigines, it's a catch .22. A modern tranny won't bolt up to an older bellhousing. If my neckcar was a ''monte carlo'', I'd have a newer 6 speed coupled to a 454 or a 383. But I don't mix name brands.

Returnless

you're looking for the hardware & software to tune it yourself?

Yep.

From what I found so far it's either the SCT or the Sniper. I'm leaning towards the Sniper but I have no first hand experience with either.

Lito is your best bet

Isn't Lito a person (with a spanish website that I can't read)?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep.

From what I found so far it's either the SCT or the Sniper. I'm leaning towards the Sniper but I have no first hand experience with either.

SCT is the most common for this model. You'd need a handheld and the pro-racer software to tune it. I'm not familiar with Sniper.

You maybe better off cost-wise to buy a used X3 handheld and get a tune from Lito or Lund for the mods/changes you want, unless you're expecting to continuously make changes, then buying the software will be offset.

Isn't Lito a person (with a spanish website)?

yes, he's a tuning professional

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
If you're wanting to tune it yourself I'd check out HP Tuners. Does Ford still make the control pack to drop these into hot rods? That might be the easiest way to go if they do.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
The problem is the transmission. With 12" slicks and a locker my main hobby will be busting T5's and riding on wreckers unless I spend $10,000 on a tranny (with no overdrive) for a used race car unit.

If you're worried about busting T5's then you should worry about the stock input shaft on your TR3650. That is the weak link of this transmission. You can get a stronger one from this guy.

http://www.pro-forceperformance.com/tr3650_parts.htm

earlbrown

Reaction score
SCT is the most common for this model. You'd need a handheld and the pro-racer software to tune it.

You maybe better off cost-wise to buy a used X3 handheld and get a tune from Lito or Lund for the mods/changes you want, unless you're expecting to continuously make changes, then buying the software will be offset.

yes, he's a tuning professional

I got a used X3 on the way. With any luck It'll do what I need.

If you're wanting to tune it yourself I'd check out HP Tuners. Does Ford still make the control pack to drop these into hot rods? That might be the easiest way to go if they do.

It looks like HP Tuners has an OBD2 plugin that will work with my '06.

I don't think Ford makes the control pack anymore for some reason.
I probably wouldn't get it anyways as it's overpriced since it comes with a bunch of stuff I don't need. It looked like a decent deal if you didn't have a donor car.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
with a X3 and a proper tune file you should be ok

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would go HP Tuners if you're doing the programming by yourself. I haven't used it myself but a couple guys at the track do and it seems pretty user friendly.

earlbrown

Reaction score
Got my X3 in the mail today. I was hoping to be able to at least turn off PATS so I can get started with the wire diet, but I can't.

Where can I find a generic ''car kit'' tune to load into this controller? Or are they VIN specific to each exact ECM?

Pretty much all I need is spark, fueling, and fuel pump. I'm most likely going to lock out he cams when I get the engine out and do the timing chains/guides, and I'm planing on moving the pump pickup into my fuel cell from the donor car.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
If you want to keep the X3 you'll either need someone like Lito to write a tune or purchase the Pro Racer Package.

earlbrown

Reaction score
He didn’t listen the first time....

I bought the X3 used and had no idea what software (or tunes) it came loaded with.

My question was if generic ''kit car'' type tunes could be downloaded, or if they are forced to be written to my exact ECM.

It looks like I have to have a specific tune made for my specific computer.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It looks like I have to have a specific tune made for my specific computer.

\/ exactly what I told you days ago.

My question was if generic ''kit car'' type tunes could be downloaded, or if they are forced to be written to my exact ECM.

nope

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back