4.0L V6 Stainless Single Exhaust ?

Jack F

Reaction score
Wow! I appreciate your post - But that is one screwed-up web site! There is some ad blocking access to the site unless you sign up for their newsletter! It just won't go away. Probably a hacker - It is that time of year. I can see the background image of the X-pipe but there's no way into the site without 'signing up' which I will not do.

Click on the "x" in the upper right corner of the ad.;)

richie9mt

Reaction score
I have to say, I like this Pypes conversion...

F79866872.jpg

https://pypesexhaust.com/i-12200858-05-10-mustang-v6-cat-back-mid-muffler-system-sfm69.html

I'm a bit confused though...Does this require cutting the OEM pipes just back of the cats???

JimC

Reaction score
I have to say, I like this Pypes conversion...

F79866872.jpg

https://pypesexhaust.com/i-12200858-05-10-mustang-v6-cat-back-mid-muffler-system-sfm69.html

I'm a bit confused though...Does this require cutting the OEM pipes just back of the cats???
Yes, you have to cut the OEM pipes, and use a "stepped" connector to go from the 2.25" down pipe to the 2.5" mid pipes. One is already used on the passenger side. When I did mine we put the X pipe up in place and marked the down pipes for where to cut.

richie9mt

Reaction score
Yes, you have to cut the OEM pipes, and use a "stepped" connector to go from the 2.25" down pipe to the 2.5" mid pipes.

I was just on the Summit site looking at exhaust clamps and I saw that they had 'stepped clamps'...I was thinking you meant a step-down connecting tube rather than a step-down clamp...Which did you use???

BTW, thanks for that bit of information about 2.25" vs 2.50" tubes...Pypes site doesn't mention that... ;)

JimC

Reaction score
Stepped down clamp, just like the stock one on the passenger side.

You cut the "Y" pipe out to either put in "H" or "X" or go straight pipes.

richie9mt

Reaction score
Initial savings on money was not my prime consideration in deciding to upgrade my exhaust. My intent is to get a stainless exhaust in order to prolong the life of the system. Sound/performance is secondary, maybe tertiary to cost. I'm tired of a new exhaust system rusting out (inside and outside) after only 2 or 3 years. A single stainless system similar to the OEM setup would be fine.

VGMStudios

Reaction score
Right. I read somones post about saving money and that got stuck in my head.

It may be a silly question but since you live in an area that salts the roads (like me) do you rust proof your car and get it sprayed?

Wouldn't that help with preventing it from rusting?

richie9mt

Reaction score
It may be a silly question but since you live in an area that salts the roads (like me) do you rust proof your car and get it sprayed?
Wouldn't that help with preventing it from rusting?

I'm hoping that is exactly what it will do. Ziebart is on my shortlist for Spring. I have had my Escape Crown-undercoated twice, the first and second years I had it. I didn't have it done this year, but last Summer I noticed big flakes of rust on the bottom, all over. It's a 2008 and my primary driver; the Mustang is for good weather and emergencies.

Back when I did a lot of wrenching and visited junkyards frequently to get parts, I noticed that it was the Ziebart cars that had the best looking parts. It's expensive but this Mustang still has bare metal showing underneath, the rest is just lightly rusted. It's a good bet that the Mustang will outlast me, and the only question is: Which niece will look better in it??? :D

So yes I will get it undercoated. I just didn't have enough time this year. It's already snowed twice and the trucks were out salting. No reason to plow yet, but you'd think they get paid extra for returning with an empty 5-ton truck...

DieHarder

Reaction score
Initial savings on money was not my prime consideration in deciding to upgrade my exhaust. My intent is to get a stainless exhaust in order to prolong the life of the system. Sound/performance is secondary, maybe tertiary to cost. I'm tired of a new exhaust system rusting out (inside and outside) after only 2 or 3 years. A single stainless system similar to the OEM setup would be fine.

Then save yourself some money. Purchase a Dynomax stainless right-side intermediate pipe (55518) and reuse your muffler (if it's still good). Should cost you ~$60 for the pipe and whatever you spend on installation or do it yourself.

Undercoating is good. I did it to all three of my cars. Cheap protection compared to dealing with salted roads up north, rusted floors and rocker panels.

Tom Gallagher

Reaction score
AM used to sell complete X pipe true dual exhaust setups. I have one on my 4.0 from Ford Performance, they had kits from Pypes that included everything, even half dome caps to cover a bad bumper cover cut out, and one to match the other side. I don't know if they even sell exhaust anything anymore, but EBAY motors does.

In fact if you go to the bottom of the question page there are vendors, click on the one from Beefcake and it has all the exhaust manufacturers. I meant Kooks, not Pypes, their kits have fitment issues and their X pipes have a tapered crossover to create a bad tuned exhaust note.

Last edited by a moderator:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back