8.3L Whipple

FrankCapo

Reaction score
Has anyone out there adapted whipple's 8.3L blower to work with a 5.4L 4v motor? I know not everyone likes the look of a large SC sticking out of the hood... But I gotta say I am one of the ones that does... I was just curious if anyone actually HAD done this...

Thanks everyone :)

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there adapted whipple's 8.3L blower to work with a 5.4L 4v motor? I know not everyone likes the look of a large SC sticking out of the hood... But I gotta say I am one of the ones that does... I was just curious if anyone actually HAD done this...

Thanks everyone :)
no clue but you do this and i'll buy you a beer :beer:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can the 5.4 even make any boost with a blower that big before redline lol

FrankCapo

Reaction score
No, not drunk... Ive seen a bunch of different adaptations here and there... like that one by southern hot rod on their Challenger:

check it out

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36072

I know the parasitic loss would be pretty damn high... but as far as I understand it ... being as the blower is so big (larger rotors) it would produce boost at lower RPM (of the blower that is)... I know they make a 4.0 kit... but I am looking for something over 1000RWHP in the supercharger variety ...

thanks for the replies so far everyone!

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
I know that Cult Energy car. He hangs out with us all the time, he had trouble beating a bolt-on ls3 vette, due to traction issues.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Its a blower not a turbo.

darth-vader-epic-fail.jpg

This thread is full of epicness... :roflmao::roflmao:

yeah I know right hahahaha:roflmao:

MyFordsFly

forum member
Reaction score
No, not drunk... Ive seen a bunch of different adaptations here and there... like that one by southern hot rod on their Challenger:

check it out

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36072

I know the parasitic loss would be pretty damn high... but as far as I understand it ... being as the blower is so big (larger rotors) it would produce boost at lower RPM (of the blower that is)... I know they make a 4.0 kit... but I am looking for something over 1000RWHP in the supercharger variety ...

thanks for the replies so far everyone!

That Challenger is nuts. I would love to see an S197 done like that. Doo Ittt!!!

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Lightblade is well aware of the type of blower and that its not a turbo, and despite it being a PD supercharger, a blower with that kind of size would overwhelm a small cubic motor, and the power limits max out at some point due to the smaller cubic inches. That 8.3L would just be clearing its throat and you would never see the true potential of it.....its pointless to run that sort of appilcation, you can make similar power with a smaller blower, its all for show.Thats what he was getting at....and thats what I meant by your fail, your stating the obvious.

MyFordsFly

forum member
Reaction score
Lightblade is well aware of the type of blower and that its not a turbo, and despite it being a PD supercharger, a blower with that kind of size would overwhelm a small cubic motor, and the power limits max out at some point due to the smaller cubic inches. That 8.3L would just be clearing its throat and you would never see the true potential of it.....its pointless to run that sort of appilcation, you can make similar power with a smaller blower, its all for show.Thats what he was getting at....and thats what I meant by your fail, your stating the obvious.

I figured it was somewhat obvious. And I knew it wouldnt be optimal. But it was far from a "fail". You can easily size a turbo out of any type of powerband, meaning it wouldnt build boost till redline. Its not so easy to do with a Positive Displacement blower. Its still going to build boost and have some kind of power in the curve, although it would be far from the most efficient.
So take it easy with your "Epic fails".

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I figured it was somewhat obvious. And I knew it wouldnt be optimal. But it was far from a "fail". You can easily size a turbo out of any type of powerband, meaning it wouldnt build boost till redline. Its not so easy to do with a Positive Displacement blower. Its still going to build boost and have some kind of power in the curve, although it would be far from the most efficient.
So take it easy with your "Epic fails".

That's the point he was making...

I'll see what I can do... No promises.

FrankCapo

Reaction score
Obviously the blower wouldn't be able to run at its full potential... I think that much should be obvious right off the bat... I guess that I have seen a lot of twin turbo'd mustangs getting upwards of 2000hp... or at least above 1500hp... I was just trying to see if this would be possible to fabricate... I know how turbo's and SCs differ (how they are powered, function, etc, etc) however the amount of intake airflow with a turbo has to be pretty substantial to push those kinds of numbers... so how big a supercharger is too much (as far as airflow goes)... what kind of SC setup would yeild 1500 or more rwhp?

I had honestly wanted technical perspective on this whole bit but I guess this is more of a conversational topic than a full on technical topic... My bad... sorry guys...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back