A/C Issues.

SolarWar

forum member
Reaction score
background info: i got the car salvage was a front end accident got it running and titles in march and haven't needed the AC until now.
the body shop claimed they replaced the parts for the AC but never evacuated it or charged it, so i took it upon my self to attempt to evacuate and charge it myself tonight.
and what do i find but a leak coming from the dual function pressure switch and the whole thing snaps off, so ill be replacing that whole line, but its 100... i was wondering if anyone has ever worked on auto ac's before, is this something i can attempt to braze back on?

im not scared to pull the trigger and just replace the whole line, but if it can be repaired then why not repair, rather than replace. i have access to necessary tools and a working knowledge of refrigeration so doing the work wont be an issue.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
background info: i got the car salvage was a front end accident got it running and titles in march and haven't needed the AC until now.
the body shop claimed they replaced the parts for the AC but never evacuated it or charged it, so i took it upon my self to attempt to evacuate and charge it myself tonight.
and what do i find but a leak coming from the dual function pressure switch and the whole thing snaps off, so ill be replacing that whole line, but its 100... i was wondering if anyone has ever worked on auto ac's before, is this something i can attempt to braze back on?

im not scared to pull the trigger and just replace the whole line, but if it can be repaired then why not repair, rather than replace. i have access to necessary tools and a working knowledge of refrigeration so doing the work wont be an issue.

No you can not braze it back on. It needs to be properly Welded back on. You might have a shop that can repair it for you but they are gonna charge for the repair. Juts buy the new line and get it over with.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I hope you know what you're doing with the A/C system. If it hasn't been properly pressure evacuated, there will be condensation in the system and you'll burn up the compressor. The condensor, if exposed to plain air, has to be properly evacuated and then, the whole system properly oiled and charged.

The pressures involved means you can forget trying to repair that line unless you're a professional welder of thin walled aluminum.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I hope you know what you're doing with the A/C system. If it hasn't been properly pressure evacuated, there will be condensation in the system and you'll burn up the compressor. The condensor, if exposed to plain air, has to be properly evacuated and then, the whole system properly oiled and charged.

The pressures involved means you can forget trying to repair that line unless you're a professional welder of thin walled aluminum.

The condenser is no big deal it's really the drier/accumulator you have to worry about. The condenser will be fine after a vacuum but if the system was open for a while the drier/accumulator will need replacing because it has absorbed a lot of moisture. Reason being is that they have a desiccant material made of silica gel within them and once they absorb water they need to be replaced. A vacuum will not get rid of the moisture in the silica gel.

SolarWar

forum member
Reaction score
No you can not braze it back on. It needs to be properly Welded back on. You might have a shop that can repair it for you but they are gonna charge for the repair. Juts buy the new line and get it over with.

Ordered the part now just waiting to replace ...

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Smart easy move. Cost a few dollars but saves alot of hassle. Just remember to Vaccuum the system for a good 45 minutes!

SolarWar

forum member
Reaction score

The condenser is no big deal it's really the drier/accumulator you have to worry about. The condenser will be fine after a vacuum but if the system was open for a while the drier/accumulator will need replacing because it has absorbed a lot of moisture. Reason being is that they have a desiccant material made of silica gel within them and once they absorb water they need to be replaced. A vacuum will not get rid of the moisture in the silica gel.

I took precautions to prevent any further moisture from entering the system but its been open to atmosphere since it was in an accident before I purchased it. So once I get part, ill evacuate and attempt to charge it and see what happens I don't wanna start throwing parts at it unless this doesn't work then I can start replacing.

SolarWar

forum member
Reaction score
Update. Its replaced. Evacuated and charged. Running like a champ now. 39° discharge air.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back