Advice on SC or Turbo purchase

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Lot's of good info to mull over, thanks guys. I'm leaning more and more toward the NOS just for the $ and the fact that even though it's hard on the engine it's only going to be used in "have to" cases to keep from loosing a race, lol So, for the most part I'd be running on stock power and should in the long run make my engine last longer.

Basically, I can't afford the 3,500+ right now and I know if I have the power I'll be using it all the time and wearing my car out prematurely.

I'm not counting out the SC, but I'm beginning to doubt it's what I can afford.

I assume with the NOS I'd still need a better clutch and bigger brakes (which I plan anyway) But that should cover it, right?

This may be a stupid question, but does my tune matter with NOS?
Your tune definately matters with N2O!!! Oh yeah, ricers call nitrous NOS.:thumb2:

IMO, spraying the car will kill a clutch much faster than a centri kit or even a PD setup. Take a look at the torque that N2O makes and its easy to see why.

What I would do is slow down and save your cash until you can afford what you really want. Do some research and set a goal for yourself...you'll be there before you know it.

If you decide on a vortech/paxton kit definately give Tony at superchargersonline.com a call. He will hook you up...

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Your tune definately matters with N2O!!! Oh yeah, ricers call nitrous NOS.:thumb2:

IMO, spraying the car will kill a clutch much faster than a centri kit or even a PD setup. Take a look at the torque that N2O makes and its easy to see why.

What I would do is slow down and save your cash until you can afford what you really want. Do some research and set a goal for yourself...you'll be there before you know it.

If you decide on a vortech/paxton kit definately give Tony at superchargersonline.com a call. He will hook you up...

Holy shit Jeff made an appearence lol......talked to Tom today. Im gonna be installing some springs on that 4x4 of his tomorrow.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but does my tune matter with NOS?
Yes Almost any performance part you bolt on to these cars your tune will need to be adjusted. As far as hanging with an SS or GTO you can do bolt-ons and pass them up. If you are on a tight budget look more into the bolt-ons and you can probably pick up most of them used for a decent price, right on this forum.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Guess he didn't want me to do it...my beer might be too expensive for him!lol

You coming out this way?

I dont think that was the case, Im selling him my Roushs. I told him if he drove to my garage that I would sell and install them for $70 and have them in in under 2hrs. So he was all for it. He wants it lowered before the opener.

The Bullitt will be slammed for the opener...nice and low of the monster 325s lol.

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
I dont think that was the case, Im selling him my Roushs. I told him if he drove to my garage that I would sell and install them for $70 and have them in in under 2hrs. So he was all for it. He wants it lowered before the opener.

The Bullitt will be slammed for the opener...nice and low of the monster 325s lol.
Damn $70...nice guy you are!

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Yes Almost any performance part you bolt on to these cars your tune will need to be adjusted. As far as hanging with an SS or GTO you can do bolt-ons and pass them up. If you are on a tight budget look more into the bolt-ons and you can probably pick up most of them used for a decent price, right on this forum.

What else would you think I'd need to get where I want to be? I've already got a good CAI and Tuner. And I have axel back Pypes Violators. I was thinking about some UDPs next and Maybe an electric water pump. But I didn't think I could get into the range I wanted with this car unless I went with either N20 (thanks) or a SC

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I don't understand how the tune would work with N2O since 99.9% of the time the car is running like it normally does and the N2O doesn't play a factor. Looks like if you change the tune for the N2O then the car would not be running right when you're not using it, which is almost all the time. Unless you changed the tune each time you planned on using it which would be a PIA

5.0Shocker

Resident Bomb Tech
Reaction score
With the correct jets and a N20 tune (I know American Muscle has tunes) nitrous is safe. Then there is Alcohol injection, cryo inj too.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I'd probably go with Brenspeed for the purchase on the N20. The same kit is cheaper through them and that's where my tune came from so they can just send me a new one for free.

I still would like to know how I could get into the HP I want with just bolt ons. Anyone else feel that's possible??? I just don't see getting 400ish HP out of our cars without a power adder or spending enough on the engine to have just been better off to buy a SC, etc.

simonac

simonac
Reaction score
if you go the bolt on route.. it will be very very hard to get the 400 rwhp mark...some peoples here have done it or very close to that mark...search the thread a bit in the 4.6 tech section... you could always go whit all these bolt on , o/r exhaust or l/t header,h or x pipe ,cmdp,electric w/p,alum d/s,u/d pulley,short shifter,cams,nos with proper tune ,royal purple fluid front to back,maybee 3;73 or 4;10 i the back with detroit locker, and now loll you spent about 5 to 8 k on the car ,it will still be a good reliable and quite powerfull car... and the best part is that you can put all these one after the other, when the wallet allow you do do it...if you go with the s/c right now you will eventualy have to put these + other part on the car cause of the power increase and faster wear and tear on some other part... and as for the tune on nos its because if your tune does not pull some timming for the nos you will have detonation and engine failure plain and simple and scary,,,lolllll

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Yeah, I just got off the phone with Brenspeed and they said about the same thing. I'd spend about 2k for L/T and X pipe, cams, pullies, and delete plates and still wouldn't have near the HP I could get from a paxton.

I see what you mean with the N2O tune but I don't understand how it doesn't mess up the DD of the car if it's adjusted for the N2O.

simonac

simonac
Reaction score
as far as i know it does not mess a hole lot if your daily driving your car with the nos tune and open up the bottle for a whooop ass once in a while if you can stay off the button lolllll cause i hear lots off peoples get addicted to the juice..lolll

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
as far as i know it does not mess a hole lot if your daily driving your car with the nos tune and open up the bottle for a whooop ass once in a while if you can stay off the button lolllll cause i hear lots off peoples get addicted to the juice..lolll

I'm a pretty weak willed person when it comes to using power, lol I'd probably pay for a supercharger with all the bottle refills once I got to playing with it.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I'm a pretty weak willed person when it comes to using power, lol I'd probably pay for a supercharger with all the bottle refills once I got to playing with it.

Haha, it dont take long at 50.00+ a bottle! You get the pm i sent you on the pricing?

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Making power N/A will cost you more in the long run the just simply going F/I, unless your using Nitrous. It takes big more to make decent power with this small cubic inch motors without using a blower or some sort. Headwork and cams alone will set you back the price of a supercharger kit.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I'm thinking the bottle might not be for me. I'll probably just wait and get the SC when I can afford it. Maybe throw on some LTs and and X or H pipe for now.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Haha, it dont take long at 50.00+ a bottle! You get the pm i sent you on the pricing?

Yeah, I got it. Thanks. If you don't mind send me a quote for the kit without the install. I'm pretty good with a wrench.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Making power N/A will cost you more in the long run the just simply going F/I, unless your using Nitrous. It takes big more to make decent power with this small cubic inch motors without using a blower or some sort. Headwork and cams alone will set you back the price of a supercharger kit.

Yeah, and you reach the limit pretty fast and still don't have as much power as just throwing on a good SC from what I'm seeing.

Back