alingment spec advice and tire opnions.

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to have to buy new tires and wanted opinions on the Michelin pilot sport A/S3 tires. Reviews are lightly mixed with a lot of good to great ones. A I'm going to check and do my alignment but with having 285/40's all around i didn't know if there was a better alignment spec then setting to factory camber an toe specs. I want to try and calm the tramalinig if it's possible.
I'll list my suspension mods in next post..

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
Suspension mods:
Gt500 strut mounts
2012 brembo front struts
Eibach camber kit
Gt500 stb
UMI uca
Che lca's
Che relocate brackets
BMR phb
BMR phb brace
BMR springs. ( older 1.25/1.5)
Qa1 double adjustable shocks.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I've never had a bad set of Michelin tires, FWIW.

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
How did you get GT500 mounts to work with 2012 front struts? My understanding is the GT500 mounts only work with 05-10 front struts.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
How did you get GT500 mounts to work with 2012 front struts? My understanding is the GT500 mounts only work with 05-10 front struts.

Wondering the same thing.

Tramlining...with a 285 front tire...it's going to hunt. No two ways about it. Granted, the AS3 will probably not be as bad as something sticky would be.

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
The mounts are the Frpp mounts. The struts might be 2011 brembo ones. Its been so long I can't remember.

1hot427

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to have to buy new tires and wanted opinions on the Michelin pilot sport A/S3 tires. Reviews are lightly mixed with a lot of good to great ones. A I'm going to check and do my alignment but with having 285/40's all around i didn't know if there was a better alignment spec then setting to factory camber an toe specs. I want to try and calm the tramalinig if it's possible.
I'll list my suspension mods in next post..

I would also be interested in some street alignment specs, not really trusting of the local front end shops.

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
Well went ahead and got my tires
Look very nice! Alignment still up in the air. Debating calling Roush and see what their specs were for the Cars that had 275's all around with their suspension.

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I believe you want to flip the GT500 mounts 180 degrees from stock and to get back some camber and narrow your negative camber range to -.75 instead of the -1.5 degrees max negative camber stock specs. That's what comes to mind from when I went through this dropping my car 1.5 inches.

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
I believe you want to flip the GT500 mounts 180 degrees from stock and to get back some camber and narrow your negative camber range to -.75 instead of the -1.5 degrees max negative camber stock specs. That's what comes to mind from when I went through this dropping my car 1.5 inches.

Please explain.

You mean the notch to match the strut mount to the knuck mounts at the bottom should be facing towards the motor to get that camber back???

I just installed my strut mounts and I left the notch in line with the mounting points for the knuckles - facing out towads the fender.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to be OT, but post up a review of those tires if you can. I have been highly considering that exact same setup for when my current tires wear out.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
There's a thread on flipping the top of the GT500 mounts around 180* to get back some camber after a drop. Basically you point the arrow "in" towards the motor, rather than "out" towards the fender. I used this method when I installed my SR springs (1.5" drop), and my camber was set to -0.5* after alignment. Toe was jacked, but they fixed that. Camber was close to the factory limit of -1.5* before springs and alignment, so I definitely got some adjustment back.

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
After speaking with Roush and several people determined to set the alignment to factory specs with adjusting toe out to .3 On both sides to comp for wide wheels/tires. Will soon see how it works out.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
"Factory specs" isn't very descriptive, given that camber can be anywhere between 0° and -1.5°. -0.75° is the preferred setting, if that's what you meant.

0.3° toe - is that total toe or individual on each side? Either way sounds like a lot (outside the factory range IIRC), and you'll want to keep track of inside shoulder wear. Toe out can make the car feel "darty" and not want to stay aimed straight.

How would you describe your driving, particularly with respect to how easy or hard you generally take corners? Harder than, much harder than, same as, or gentler than "average traffic" is probably good enough. Is there any chance that you'll be seeing either autocross or introductory track time?

Norm

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back