Aluminum Surface Preservation

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alright, I need some help with all these pretty Al parts that don't want paint...

What's the best thing to apply to keep the Al surface of the hot parts from oxidizing?

Specifically the trans, TB, block, timing cover, etc...

I like the bare metal look - not going for clear-coated engine here... But while I have it out if there is something easy I can spray it with - why not?

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe vaseline, or silicone spray? Both will "coat" it and keep it like you want it until you wipe it off...the silicone you could probably just leave on...

We used this for spare boat parts in Belize (Caribbean) so they wouldn't get eaten by the salt air...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe vaseline, or silicone spray? Both will "coat" it and keep it like you want it until you wipe it off...the silicone you could probably just leave on...

We used this for spare boat parts in Belize (Caribbean) so they wouldn't get eaten by the salt air...
I'd like something permanent - never going to wipe it off... I'd also like it to harden so it does not attract dirt...

I've only ever used Si spray for diving gear - would certainly work for storage, but seems like it wouldn't last long on the road?

ixtlan

Reaction score
anodize it.
As long as the anodized layer is not damaged it will prevent corrosion.
You can clear anodize or Dye Color it.

Last edited:

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How does that process work Iztlan? Any special equipment necessary? Please educate...Oh and I thought of another alternative...powder-coating....

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well anodizing the transmission isn't going to happen - it require complete dissassembly - same goes for the block...

Something of the spray or brush variety is preffered...

ixtlan

Reaction score
Spray or brush you could Alodine it.
It really isnt pretty but it works.
All I have seen it has left a brownish color to the metal.
Not really an eye catcher.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back