AnotherS197GT's Coyote Swap: The Valve Dropper Special

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you are aware I've had nothing but valve train issues from 3V motors. Stock or modified, they just don't seem to like me. After having 2 separate issues in the last 3 months, I've decided that 3V life ain't for me! Instead of trading the car in and buying a Coyote, I've decided to swap the car instead. My car is just about paid off, so it seemed smarter to me to swap an engine into a paid for car with a bunch of suspension mods and personal touches vs trying to jump into a new payment.

So far I've budgeted around $4,000 for the swap, but I'm sure it will run over. I'm taking a trip to Chicago at the end of next week, and I would at least like to have the car running (probably not driving) before I leave.

The plans:

2014 F150 Engine:
30k miles out of a truck that was wrecked. The engine looks pristine in all the pictures. It appears to be complete from pan to throttle body. My plans right now are to leave it alone. The only differences I've found between the F150 and Mustang are the oil pump (may get swapped. Engine has a 6 month warranty, so I'm inclined to not void it) intake cams, and compression ratio. The truck is 10.5 vs 11 in the Mustang. I'm thinking with the Mustang exhaust and a tune, it will make for a fun car.

Intake/Exhaust:

Stock coyote air box and tube. Stock Coyote manifolds, cats, and H-pipe. This will more than likely be adapted to the 3V OTA pipes and run with either FR500s axle backs or GTBs.

Fuel system:

For simplicities sake, I'm going with a return style fuel system. This will be easier than trying to make a Coyote pump work with the 3V or make the 3V pump work with the Coyote PCM. The plan is to run a C5 Corvette fuel filter in place of the stock fuel filter. These are actually pretty neat filters. They have an internal 58 PSI regulator on them and a return line coming off. I will be running my return line right back to the stock 3V hat. To feed the rails, I will be running -6 AN lines from the filter. Fuel pump will be a Walbro 255. All in all, the system has cost me about $250-$260.

Accessories:

I will be using the Power By The Hour Coyote Swap kit. Reusing the 3V alternator, A/C compressor, and PS pump. The bracket kit looks to be extremely well made, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. In order to use this kit, you will need to use a 2014 MUSTANG timing cover. The F150 will not work with the PBH kit according to the folks over there. Good news, it's only about $100. Big shout out to Frank at PBH for taking the time to talk to me.

Engine Management:

The smart thing to do would have been to pony up for the Control Pack from FRPP, but I never do the smart thing. I will be running a stock 2012 PCM and making my own control pack. Of course, I will be getting lots of help from someone MUCH smarter than myself. Fortunately, I don't think the harness will be too complicated to make. Time consuming, yes! Difficult, probably not. Unless I've been drinking too much.

Driveline:

Stock coyote flywheel (~$120 new, what a steal!), TR3650 with my used Exedy 400, stock 3V driveshaft.

I started ordering parts Monday, and I expect to have most of what I need to get this done. Big props to all the people I've been bugging over the last 3 days to get parts shipped out and ordered up. So far the O2 sensors, timing cover, alternator pulley, and some misc stuff have shown up. Most of my fuel system should be here tomorrow/Friday. The engine is slated for delivery Friday. 2 day freight from NY to FL was surprisingly cheap! I'm really trying to get everything I need to get engine in the car and *hopefully* started this weekend. Then finish the other stuff up throughout the week.

I guess we will see if the car is bad luck and eats valves, or if it's 3Vs that eat them for me. Either way, my chances of valve/follower destruction have gone up 33.3333333333333333%!

Now, I'm going to get off my ass, get this car into the garage, and start yanking a 3V motor!

28516575711_ddf5192f9c_h.jpg

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In for the ride Dylan! My wife will not let me buy a new car so who knows there may be a Coyote swap in my future too!

TJL442

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome, can't wait to see your results. Even the coyote engine in my 2014 F150 supercrew pulls good with 34 inch tires. Good luck.

Tim

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Ah the battery is crooked...........that explains everything!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
In for the ride Dylan! My wife will not let me buy a new car so who knows there may be a Coyote swap in my future too!

Your car is already fast enough!

How much did the coyote run you?

$2500 + the ride. My last 3V was ~$2400 shipped

Ah the battery is crooked...........that explains everything!

Ah shit, that must be it!

The 3V is only a few bolts away from coming out. I should have it out tomorrow evening. Friday I will be assembling the Coyote, bolting the trans up, and probably starting on the wiring. I ran into a little snag, the 3V pedal isn't the same as the 5.0, so I will be trying to get one here by Friday.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Gonna need to fly you to Maui when I need to pull my motor. Youve gottten really fast at this job!! LOL

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I'll take a free vacation! Your house is like a freaking resort. Just make sure there is beer and pizza.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Had to order an alternator pulley removal tool. In order to use the PBH bracket kit with a manual alternator, you have to switch to a non-clutched pulley. It should be here Friday along with the rest of the goodies. Amazon Prime has saved my ass this week. I've more than made my money back on the two day shipping.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you don't need to do emissions testing down there?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
How the car was left last night. I'm waiting for a friend to come over with an engine leveler so that we can yank the engine and trans. I also ordered a blowfish bracket tonight because my car grinds second badly during a lot of quick shifts. I'm hoping this will help with that. If not, I will just deal with it until it's 6060 time.

28333114780_89be0c5e62_h.jpg

Some bad news today is that some parts I was really hoping to have tomorrow will not make it in time. One will probably show up Saturday, so thats not too bad. The other stuff is Monday. Not the end of the world, but for sure no start this weekend. It should give us time to work on the wiring without too much distraction though.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
It way more fun to yell and swear about where everything is and take 10 minutes to find it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back