Any ideas what this ticking is? (Please help :( )

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score

Exhaust shop isnt sure , but I dont really think they knew what they were talking about. They tried to tell me it was coming from the drivetrain, but its really audible only on the passenger side

The sound is RPM dependent, so it ticks faster as the rpms go up.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
It's a bomb get outta there! Seriously it sounds like nothing. I'd forget about it...your life will be easier.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FYI he doesn't start it until a minute into the video, lol.

Do you hear it in the cabin? Specifically in the front passenger area? It sounds exactly like my stock 08 motor sounded. Many people have this tick and it's still a mystery. Mine never caused any harm.

Maybe this is a sign that you should build a forged motor? Lol.

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
FYI he doesn't start it until a minute into the video, lol.

Do you hear it in the cabin? Specifically in the front passenger area? It sounds exactly like my stock 08 motor sounded. Many people have this tick and it's still a mystery. Mine never caused any harm.

Maybe this is a sign that you should build a forged motor? Lol.

I can only really hear it when Im next to a wall or theres not a ton of noise outside (but then again my car is loud as shit to begin with lol). The one thing is, I havent changed my oil in forever, Mobil 1 syn is in there now, but the car sits a lot for long periods of time. I am switching back to Ford Motorcraft SynBlend and adding Lucas Oil Treatment in my next change just in case it could be lifter noise. I hope not.

I dont have any signs of misfire , no CEL, etc. Sometimes I get a tiny sputter you can hear in your seat and from the ehxhaust when the car is warming up though.

The sound honestly has been there for over a year now, and I always thought it was a leak at the H pipe which the exhaust shop resealed. I have no clue :(

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Does sound like the valvetrain but Could be an exhaust leak at the headers.
Try using a stethoscope on the cam cover and see it you can narrow it down a little.
Then I'd say take the cam cover off and inspect the cam and rockers.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
My engine sounded the same for years, from about 2008-2013. After I added the supercharger the noise went away. I'd only hear it in drive thru's. Hehe. I also go through a lot less drive thru's... Hmmm.

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
Does sound like the valvetrain but Could be an exhaust leak at the headers.
Try using a stethoscope on the cam cover and see it you can narrow it down a little.
Then I'd say take the cam cover off and inspect the cam and rockers.

Out of curiosity, since I'm very skiddish about pulling my cam covers, what would I be looking for specifically? Also Ill try a stehoscope as well if I can find one, what would I be listening for? It just seems like the sound is coming from under the car as I cant even hear it standing over the side of the engine bay.

Ks_S197

forum member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. I have ran a stethoscope all over the right side. I pulled the cover and could not find a thing wrong. The symptoms are exactly the same. I can not hear it standing over the motor, but can hear it under the passenger's side or coming from the wheel well. I can tell you I heard nothing like it until I installed my or/h. I considered yanking it out and putting my stock h back in just as a test. I just haven't got around to it.

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. I have ran a stethoscope all over the right side. I pulled the cover and could not find a thing wrong. The symptoms are exactly the same. I can not hear it standing over the motor, but can hear it under the passenger's side or coming from the wheel well. I can tell you I heard nothing like it until I installed my or/h. I considered yanking it out and putting my stock h back in just as a test. I just haven't got around to it.

Somewhat comforting to hear that. Ive had my pypes H on there for quite a long time and cant say Ive always heard this sound, but my stock H is long gone. Im curious though if this fixes your issue.

I've had a plug get loose and make a nasty ticking sound. Might check them.

ah I heard that could be it too, Im definitely going to try and check that this weekend too.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, since I'm very skiddish about pulling my cam covers, what would I be looking for specifically? Also Ill try a stehoscope as well if I can find one, what would I be listening for? It just seems like the sound is coming from under the car as I cant even hear it standing over the side of the engine bay.

The cam covers come off easy...however I would try the stethoscope first to see if the noise is coming from the cam. You can also use a long screw driver and put you ear on the handle and listen. Move around the cover until you can narrow down the location. Then take the cover off to inspect.
If you pull the cover off look for anything out of the ordinary. Check each rocker for excessive movement, cam lopes for any grind marks, etc.

We did just have another forum member chase a ticking noise that he narrowed down to under the timing chain cover. Ended up being a bad guide.

TheSlow1

forum member
Reaction score
Mine makes same noise and it did it with my kooks and still does it with stock manifolds and stock h which is on currently.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Another thing to check is the O2 sensor. Those liitle buggers can come loose.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Remember to clean the engine or blow all the dirt off before removing the valve cover.

Do you have headers? If so check the gasket, none seem to hold up as well as the OEM's do. Look for dark spots around the header that would indicate exhaust leaking.

TBone69

Reaction score
The video is gone but I had a similiar sound and it turned out to be the seams on the top of the converter.

When it's cold fire it up and run your hands near the converters you jsut might feel it. Also a goo indicator is if you start smelling exhaust inside the car.

Back