Anyone running 3:90 gears?

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind trying a set of 3:90 gears in my car but Ford Racing doesn't offer them and I always hear bad things about Motive. If you have these gears;

1. How do you like them?
2. Whose gears?
3. Where did you get them?
4. Stick or auto?

Thanks - Rich

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Technically.........no. But yea, I am running 3.90s. Well, actually 3.89s.
I have FRPP 4.10s and am running a taller rear tire. When you do the calculations to correct the gearing for the tire size it comes out to 3.89 and some change. And I have a manual tranny.

The gearing is OK. I really couldn't imagine how useless first would be if my final gear ratio worked out to actually be 4.10. If FRPP would release a 3.90 I would switch to that to get my ratio closer to 3.73ish. But I don't think I would drop down to an actual 3.73 gear with the tire size I am currently running.

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I had a set of 4:10 gears but they were installed incorrectly and failed. I run a 255/50-17 tire so my gearing was pretty close to actually being 4:10 and that's why I am interested in 3:90's.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I had a set of 4:10 gears but they were installed incorrectly and failed. I run a 255/50-17 tire so my gearing was pretty close to actually being 4:10 and that's why I am interested in 3:90's.

I had the motive 3.90's and I snapped every tooth off the ring and pinion. They werent really noisey, though. That is the only complaint that I heard of.

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the Motive 3:90's in my car right now Whining like crazy.
Just ordered some Strange 3:90's from summit racing hopefully going in next week.
Love the ratio though. Cars an Automatic

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
for an auto 3.90s are good, however i woundt trust motives 8.8 gearss. every set ive seen and heard have been noisy. On a manual 4.10s are the way to go. if its too much you can always go with a larger diameter tire like hawg did. That IMO is the way to go. 3.73's are too low

Bubbamax

forum member
Reaction score
2) Pro 5.0 3.90 gear
3) Local Mustang shop
4) Manual
1) Love it, little noise around 75 mph but barely noticeable.

Running on 27" tall tires, so I have a little bit of room for increase mph at the track with future mods. Crossing the line around 5800 rpm right now on nitrous.

J

jbailer

I tried the Motive 3.90s in my car first but the noise was unbarable so I switched to the FRPP 4.10s. -Joe

DONTLIKEYOU

forum member
Reaction score
since I am an FRP dealer I should let ya know FRP gears are restamped and reboxed motive gears

2oo5GT

I have Motive 3.90's, alittle gear whine when i let off the pedal but nothing bad. I did have FRPP 4.30's and they whined alittle when i let off the pedal, the backlash was probably off alittle. I bought mine from americanmuscle.com

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
since I am an FRP dealer I should let ya know FRP gears are restamped and reboxed motive gears

as a dealer you should know better and what you jsut said is completely untrue.

FRPP part numbers for gears that end in "M" are rebranded motive gears. FRPP Gear part numbers that end in "A" are FORD OEM gears. Since Ford offers 4.11 gears in some of their product lines, the will use their Gears, although to help supply, also offer 4.10 gears by Motive. You want to buy the "A" gears and not the "M" gears.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
as a dealer you should know better and what you jsut said is completely untrue.

FRPP part numbers for gears that end in "M" are rebranded motive gears. FRPP Gear part numbers that end in "A" are FORD OEM gears. Since Ford offers 4.11 gears in some of their product lines, the will use their Gears, although to help supply, also offer 4.10 gears by Motive. You want to buy the "A" gears and not the "M" gears.

+1 on that! I have the M-4209-G410A. No noise. Rock solid. There is a M-4209-G410M that I have heard noise complaints about.

I had several sets of Motives in my Jeep for rock crawling. I never had performance issues, but they were loud...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7376

Read the tech notes for full listing...

Last edited:

DONTLIKEYOU

forum member
Reaction score
thank you I was referring to the "M" gears but thank you for clairifying that sir :cheers:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ill let you slide this time because from your avatar it seems you area hockey fan or player, like me :beer:

DONTLIKEYOU

forum member
Reaction score
ill let you slide this time because from your avatar it seems you area hockey fan or player, like me :beer:
just an avid fan.kiddos took me out of the game just didnt have time with them playing football,soccer,baseball

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back