Anyone with belt issues with a S/C

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I only had belt/tensioner issues on an auto with the vortech at 15+ psi. I haven't had any with the KB

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just don't see how a damper would resolve this issue. I think I've stated this a few times before...when you let off the gas to shift, even the slightest blip, the crank, A/C, S/C etc. are all rotating at different rpm's. This is what's causing the belts to break or bending the tensioner then shreading the belt. This is the same reason that a strenghtened tensioner arm is not the solution, but just a bandaid. Thump (with a Reichard) has shown that as well as a few others, including myself (reinforced arm with 1/2" plate of aluminum welded).
The A/C is a potential solution b/c of any resistence etc. in the rotation of that A/C pulley. It just stinks that anyone would have to remove the damn A/C to resolve something that you would think the S/C companies would address.....especially being that they have MUCH more resources than all the end users!

BACNBLAK

Old and Wise(guy)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic but.....

I was running an Innovators West 10% overdrive crank pulley with the Reichard Racing belt tensioner and 2.75" blower pulley. This setup produced 675rwhp @ 22psi on race gas. The first problem I had was with the RR tensioner pulley going bad. RR sent me a replacement pulley and I was back on the road. Then KB came out with their tensioner and I switched to that because I didn't like how close the RR tensioner was to the pcm. I also put in a Meziere electric wp (again) with a 5.5" V10 sized pulley for more belt wrap. The wp was tough to get on, we ended up having to remove the overdrive pulley to get at the bolts. About this time, we noticed the new KB tensioner was making noise and the belt was out of alignment. KB sent me a replacement, and while we were at it we removed the overdrive pulley and replaced it with an 8 rib pulley ($42 at Autozone) that's made for 1997 - 2000 5.4 engines. This is a 7" pulley, the overdrive pulley is 7.5". I was looking to lower the boost so this was a good place to start. Just for grins, we also swapped out the 2.75" blower pulley for a 3.25" pulley and put it on the dyno. The car now makes 600rwhp @ 15psi on 93 octane. So now the stars and my belt seem to be in alignment
headspin.gif
but I want a little more boost, at least 18-19psi. The 2.75" pulley is going back on today. If that puts us over 20psi, then I'll order up a 3" blower pulley. I just want to take advantage of the 2.6H KB which really begins to shine above 15psi. This BTW, is before we put on Adam's monster TB and ported intake. I'll keep y'all posted.

Update:

We put the 2.75" blower pulley back on, the car now makes 620rwhp and 587 lbs. torque @ 18psi on 93 octane. Next, the ST Motorsports monster tb and ported KB intake.

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just don't see how a damper would resolve this issue. I think I've stated this a few times before...when you let off the gas to shift, even the slightest blip, the crank, A/C, S/C etc. are all rotating at different rpm's. This is what's causing the belts to break or bending the tensioner then shreading the belt. This is the same reason that a strenghtened tensioner arm is not the solution, but just a bandaid. Thump (with a Reichard) has shown that as well as a few others, including myself (reinforced arm with 1/2" plate of aluminum welded).
The A/C is a potential solution b/c of any resistence etc. in the rotation of that A/C pulley. It just stinks that anyone would have to remove the damn A/C to resolve something that you would think the S/C companies would address.....especially being that they have MUCH more resources than all the end users!
There are 2 issues with the design of the Reichard Racing tensioner when used on the 05+ cars.

I can't go into any detail at the moment since I don't have any concrete proof just yet but as soon as I do you guys will be the first to know.

I have a friend running it on a Terminator at 20psi for over a year without any issues so only time will tell.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
belt

Look at the GT 500,the blower has a seperate belt,isolated from the other pulleys.There is something to be said about that.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wounder is there is a way to adapt a better A/C or maybe put it on a seperate belt like the GT 500.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
My vote is for a seperate belt setup....GI JOE, can you get on this for us...lol.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I guess I could talk to most my family since 4 of them work at machine/mold shops. S/C pulley spaced out a ways, and maybe an add-on to the crank pulley? I really think running a seperate belt is the way to go.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it is an idea with real possibabilities. GI Joe, PMP where are you!!!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the only problem i see with it is if the snout gets longer, we might rip the snout off haha. theres a reason why on the Cobras and the GT500 the S/C belt is closer to engine and the accessories are father away. its to keep the snout length as short as possible. id rather bend a tensioner then snap a snout off a supercharger.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the only problem i see with it is if the snout gets longer, we might rip the snout off haha. theres a reason why on the Cobras and the GT500 the S/C belt is closer to engine and the accessories are father away. its to keep the snout length as short as possible. id rather bend a tensioner then snap a snout off a supercharger.

:naughty:Ha ha, if you had a Saleen you wouldn't have to worry about your snout.:thud:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back