Are shorty headers worth it?

F

FORDJAKE

I'm looking at getting some shorty headers (BBK) just curious if they are worth it?

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From everything I have read, no. The shortie headers that are stock are pretty good, so unless you go to long tubes don't waste your money. I have read that time and time again. I wanted them and asked te same thing. Long tubes look like a pain to put on, but everything I have read that they add a lot and even more down the road with other mods..

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From everything I have read, no. The shortie headers that are stock are pretty good, so unless you go to long tubes don't waste your money. I have read that time and time again. I wanted them and asked te same thing. Long tubes look like a pain to put on, but everything I have read that they add a lot and even more down the road with other mods..
What he said...

I would only add that shorties don't appear to be much easier, if at all than LTs in this car....

I put some on to replace a cracked manifold - it required most if not all of the engine mount removal to wiggle things in there of a LT install.

O

ohnoesaz

Shorties will give a small gain, just like any N/A mod. The problem is that small gain isn't really worth the $300-$400 price... You'd see more of a gain from a $500 aluminum DS or a $350 aluminum flywheel.

Better yet, just save your money and get a bigger mod down the road.

flaming70vw

forum member
Reaction score
muscle mustangs and fast fords did a shootout in 11/05 and the average gain was about 2-4 horsepower and 1-4 ft lb. the max numbers were about the same. the test car had bassani x-pipe and mufflers and a anderson ford intake.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
muscle mustangs and fast fords did a shootout in 11/05 and the average gain was about 2-4 horsepower and 1-4 ft lb. the max numbers were about the same. the test car had bassani x-pipe and mufflers and a anderson ford intake.

Shockingly they actually got this one right, but the sun shines on every dog's ass once in a while... For the most part, if Stay Free Maxi Pads purchased advertisement space in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, the very next month you would read how having one in the glove compartment adds horsepower.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shockingly they actually got this one right, but the sun shines on every dog's ass once in a while... For the most part, if Stay Free Maxi Pads purchased advertisement space in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, the very next month you would read how having one in the glove compartment adds horsepower.
Why would you put them in the glove box when you are supposed to stick them to your oil pan in case you throw a rod? Super absorbancy and now they come scented! Not all mods are about horsepower...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why would you put them in the glove box when you are supposed to stick them to your oil pan in case you throw a rod? Super absorbancy and now they come scented!
Good point.

Not all mods are about horsepower...
Never said all mods are about horsepower. But facts are facts. MM&FF will shill out to anyone that buys advertisement space in their magazine. Example, their write up on that fine BBK throttle body they did where their numbers pretty much matched point for point the exact manufacturers claims. There are plenty of examples, that is just one that comes to mind.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Never said all mods are about horsepower.
As if the maxi-pads stuck to the oil pan did not sufficiently indicate it - I was joking of course. Header mods for all but the true show cars should be all about horsepower and shorties aren't about the horsepower on these cars.

I agree, you can buy performance in reviews - I think advertising is going to be the downfall of man-kind...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well when they decide to make the Maxi in race fuel scent I may give it a try. Until then... I just don't want my damn car smelling like flowers.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well when they decide to make the Maxi in race fuel scent I may give it a try. Until then... I just don't want my damn car smelling like flowers.

you crack me up :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Why would you put them in the glove box when you are supposed to stick them to your oil pan in case you throw a rod? Super absorbancy and now they come scented! Not all mods are about horsepower...
:roflmao: Thats funny...I made over 750 rwhp with stock exhaust. The long tubes will produce the best gains,I would stay away from the shorties.
I plan to upgrade just the mufflers on my wifes car for a better sound.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I bought Shorty headers and I got 40 RWHP over the factory headers...YEA RIGHT. The stock and FFRP shorty headers even look the same. Very miled routing changes at best.

I saw ZERO change. If you have an extra $500 to give away, PM me and I will send you my mailing address. Then, just tell everyone you have shorty headers, because you do...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back