assembled/overall rotational torque spec for 8.8

jcodestang

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 with the factory 3.73 rear gear ratio in it. Over time the rear end has developed a howl at 60+mph and on deceleration after letting off the gas.

I'm pretty sure that the pinion bearing is loose, I know that the spec for a used pinion bearing preload is 8-14 in lbs. Does anyone have a spec for a fully assembled rear end? I have taken off the driveshaft and rear brakes.
When I put a torque wrench on the pinion nut and rotate everything the break away torque is 16-18 in lbs

I am trying to avoid taking out the gears if I don't have to.

Thanks

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
You can't measure it with the carrier still in the rear end. Those specs are driven off a pinion gear in an open housing.

Just torque the pinion nut down a little, and I mean a little, and see if it helps.

jcodestang

forum member
Reaction score
I got an over all spec from a BlueOval tech of 40-45 in lbs for new bearings. He suggested adding 10in lbs to the over all rotational torque because my backlash felt good. That would give me an overall of 25-30 for the used bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Why don't you take the diff cover off and do an actual inspection instead of taking a wild stab at it? The gears can wear from deflection after time, run low on fluid, etc.

Back