Avg. Cost for a detailer to apply opti-coat?

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Update: picking up the car today after work. He said he really underestimated the job and had put 15 hours in as of last night. Doing final wipedown and applying opti guard today. Will report back...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Update: picking up the car today after work. He said he really underestimated the job and had put 15 hours in as of last night. Doing final wipedown and applying opti guard today. Will report back...

Its not easy work.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Ummm.. well... I finished.. it took about 8 hours of ass breaking work.
This is what I started off with. Basically, 2007 chevy aveo with black paint with metallic flakes.. Other then a few car washes here and there its been pretty neglected. She drives it out in the country areas all the time to take the kid to the sitters. The layers of bug guts is amazing..

IMG_1193.jpg

This is what most of the paint looked like, hard water spots and some scratches..

IMG_1194.jpg

Hood was F'ed up. Lots of rock chips and I knew that would not go away but hoped to clean it up a bit..

IMG_1195.jpg

Then there was this.. I asked the painter that did my mustang hood/fenders if the paint was some how eaten away and by what.. he told me no, it was just old bird poop and it just needed to be sanded a little..

IMG_1196.jpg

Ok.. so now to start the fun..

1) took the advise and wanted to remove all the old wax and stuff so I washed the car with dish soap, 2 bucket system, wool mitt, just before the sun went down. Also used turtle was bug and tar and it helped remove allot of that bug stuff but not all.. Of course this simple task was hard because my son decided to help by banging the hose on the hood while I was wiping or would not give me the hose when I needed it because he wants to play in the damn water.

2) After washing I used the clay bar, in some areas then hosed down and dried everything

3) I decided to work on those 2 spots of "bird poo".. I gabbed what felt like 2000 grit (some finishing sanding kit that don't label shit) and wet sanded. I barley sanded and wow.. The poop was all gone!

IMG_1204.jpg

Silly Chevy putting yellow and white coatings over my paint.. maybe I just need to sand more? I have no idea what the F ate the paint that way but I clearly fucked it up more.. but it will buff out..

4) After that I rolled the pos in the garage and taped up areas to protect it.

5) Through extensive training through youtub I started with the megurires ultimate compound and their power DA tool. It took a little time to get adjusted to it since I'm not used to using both hands to hold a ...tool. Now according to all the videos they all give the same BS about doing a 2-3 foot section at a time.. FUK DAT. This is why shit takes too long and they charge you for 10 hours of labor. I did a section at a time.

One mistake I was making and it brought back bad memories when I was young. I was using too much at first. When I was a kid I tried to wax my grandma's caddy. I used waaay too much and could never wipe the white swirl marks away. It looked like shit but I bet it was stronger and more protective then any opti guard. Anyway, I knew I had to cut back because the car looked like it was in a bukkake video. Also it was a pain in the ass to wipe the excess off.

6) The meguires DA requires a drill of 1500-2K rpm. I had one that did 1800 max and used that but It will take about 2 batters to just do one car for compound or polish. I did the over lapping bs and it took a long time. The killer was the clean up after each section.. wax on wax off crap was killing my arms,

7) finished with the compound and went all over it again with the polish.

8) Another jacked up issue I has was since the sun was down I had poor lighting.

9) After polish and many beers later I was debating going round 3 with the DA again. this time for the wax. Now Meguires make a detail spray that you can use before the wax to help remove any left over compound or polish. I tried it on the hood and was pissed.. the shit streaks and I was wiping it with a new microfiber over and over to get it at least back the way it was. So I say FUK DAT again and used the spray on wax I got the the clay bar kit. It shined things up and smelled pretty good.

10) I take all the tap bs off and its about 2am now. Huring and tied and didnt eat, but could not leave it. I cleaned the windows, tires and started on the head light restoration.. it needed it and makes a big difference.

before:

IMG_1207.jpg

After:

IMG_1212.jpg

I used the turtle wax restoration lens kit. Of course my batt was dead so I had to do this by hand. It took about 4 coats but much better..

So in the morning the wife is rushing to get out for work and yelling at me to get the kid ready and I can barely moved because fucking rigor mortise set in. She gets out and I'm waiting for her reaction......... and waiting.... she jumps in and BAILS!!!.. 8 hours of work.. and not a single FUCK!! :mad2:

I got a couple of shots before she left.. There are still some scratches and needs a little more detail with "light". but it looks allot better..

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

Conclusion: PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT AND DONT LOOK BACK!.. $900 buck opti coat? Do it and use the wifes credit card

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
The reason they tell you to work 2' sections at a time is, thats about all the polish can cover, remove defects, and break down properly in :D. Too much polish makes for a terrible clean up.

lostsoul

Reaction score
The reason they tell you to work 2' sections at a time is, thats about all the polish can cover, remove defects, and break down properly in :D. Too much polish makes for a terrible clean up.

ooohh.. but they also say in the video to add more product.. haha

man.. now I have to find some paint match and try to fix those spots, but im not even sure anyone makes it for that type of black metallic. Either way this seems to be a waste.. a few more drives in the rural areas it will be a mess again

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
ooohh.. but they also say in the video to add more product.. haha

man.. now I have to find some paint match and try to fix those spots, but im not even sure anyone makes it for that type of black metallic. Either way this seems to be a waste.. a few more drives in the rural areas it will be a mess again

incorrect. If you protect the paint, those marring, spider scratches and swirls won't re-appear as easily.

I drive a black car with an immaculate finish. It's driven hard, shown, and raced. I only polish it once a year, the coatings protect it. Also careful washing techniques are key.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Picked up the car today and it looks awesome. Bryan did a great job and went the extra mile. Bonuses he did the interior too and treated the glass as well. He said he spent 18 hours on it which is a new shop record (Granted he's only been there 3-4 months). unfortunately no pics yet because the sun is down by the time I got home Stay tuned though..

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I may have to go see this fine young man

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
I may have to go see this fine young man

Cool, tell him Kevin Breese sent ya ;) He is a really cool guy, smart, hard worker, great communication, nice shop, good bang for the buck. Only authorized Optimum dealer on Long Island. Can't go wrong.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score

Sorry at work all day and super busy...family is visiting tomorrow. Took a couple quick pics this morning will post when I get home. Also, Bryan the detailer should make a post on autopia soon which I will link if I am allowed.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Here's some pics, but keep in mind, this is after I drove 40 minutes home, sat out all night, drive 40 mins to work and back home again. Also, don't mind the A/S tires:

mustang2013opti-coated005_zpsc5e6b98c.jpg
mustang2013opti-coated004_zps9b968d45.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated007_zps55396191.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated026_zps32744317.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated024_zps9ee7d7e1.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated023_zpsce9d8938.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated022_zps713b65ec.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated016_zps6b562f2a.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated014_zpsb5b3083b.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated013_zps5edc77b2.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated012_zps51a30e68.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated011_zpse84353d7.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated001_zps7689efc6.jpg

2013opticoat2010_zps673814d5.jpg

2013opticoat2008_zpscc2dde1c.jpg

2013opticoat2007_zps2baeb8b7.jpg

2013opticoat2001_zps160f4f40.jpg

2013opticoat2002_zps7929b5c1.jpg

mustang2013opti-coated033_zps4eb3b3c3.jpg

Last edited:

lostsoul

Reaction score
damn that looks nice..

I think I see a little scratch in the corner. If you want I can come over and rub that out :naughty1:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back